mouse problem-sorry wrong category

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Sorry, i know this is completely the wrong category but i don't think anyone reads the 'other peripherals' section.
My problem is with my mouse in games.Basically when i play things like mafia or gta3 the game will respond to movements of the mouse that i haven't made.For example, in both of those games, the scroll wheel is used to change weapon but i find that sometimes it just changes weapon randomly when i haven't touched the wheel.It also sometimes makes random movements that i haven't done with the mouse.
The mouse never has any problems in windows and i used to use it in games on my old computer (including gta3) without issues.
Does anyone know what the problem is?

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
crappy mouse? old mouse? broken mouse? clean the mouse ball/lense?
try installing the latest drivers for your mouse.
then if it dosnt work, enjoy a few roasted marshmellows over its flaming carcass:) try not to get high off the fumes of burning plastic:)

The first LAN party I went to was at a PETA convention. They booted me when I shot a crab in HL!

RCPilot

Champion
The only way to game is with Optical mice. If you've got one, it must be old drivers or Windows doesn't have it installed right.

I'm still learning & having fun doing it!! Trouble comes with the things you forget or overlook along the way that make it not so fun!!

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
if its optical try it on a different surface. if you try to use one of those on fabric that has shiny threads in it, it will go crazy with the slightest movement. wireless? interference maybe.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
it's just your old fashioned wired ball type one.dunno why it works ok in windows but not in games.anyway,i have decided to go for a new one.hopefully that will work.
thanks for your input guys.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've gotten this worm 3 or 4 times. Each time I knew I had it because of unexpected "wheel movements". If you go to <A HREF="http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp" target="_new">http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp</A> you can scan for it for free.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
i tried the scan and it didn't come up with anything.what you say sounds logical though, since it the problem doesn't happen in windows or even all of the time in games.can you recommend any other scan or way to root out any virus?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could try rooting out all your adware (aka spyware) with a free tool called Ad-Aware available at hundreds of download sites.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
i've done that but the problem is still there.dunno what to do now coz i briefly tried a friend's mouse and there was no problem in the short time i tried it.that would suggest that my mouse is at fault but i don't understand how it could possibly have a fault specific to games.
what do you think i should do?