Status
Not open for further replies.

classicalguitarproaudio

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Hello,
Anyone have any info on the Gately Electronics mixers (6x2 small simple PRO mixer from the 70s). Gately was in Havertown Pa, made consoles in the early days of ics. I have a spm 6w. in the70's it was available as a kit or factory wired, mine was factory wired. I can send photos for anyone interested. very minimalist, no eq, no headphone volume control, no phantom although it was an option, has xlr in, one higher level of gain selectable for cdynamics, ribbons etc. Sescom input trans, Allen Bradley pots for the pans, and I assume other components are high quality as well. I have no manual or Schematics. I do not know what the chips are but I plan to get out a light, inspection mirror, magnifying glass etc and write down the numbers on those very small chips. Of many dozens of small mixers I have encountered there were only a few with very high quality components such as Sphere, Suburban Sound, “The Location Mixer” etc. Info on these seems to not come up on a google search either. I Would appreciate any info from fellow audio folks.
thanks,
Jerry Roberts
a classical guitar guy in Nashville
jerryrobertsguitars@gmail.com

G

Hi,
I do recall encountering a Gately mixer like the one described. In the early
1970's the U.S. Navy embarked on a program to fit most ships with a CCTV
system referred to as Ships Information Training and Entertainment (SITE)
television. The original system designated SITE 1A employed a Gately mixer.
SITE 1A was designed to fit into a 8 foot by 10 foot area and comprised a
double rack width master console and two film chain units. Equipment was
all early 1970's, International Video Corporation for the open reel VTR,s
and cameras. The Gately mixer was used to mix audio sources from the
two VTR.s, Singer 16MM projectors, cart machine and console mic. SITE 1A
also had 2 telemet modulators installed permitting simultaneous and
independent program distribution on CH2 and CH4. The Gately mixer was
used to distribute 2 different audio feeds to the modulators if required.
A patch panel was incorporated in the SITE console so either audio output
could be routed to either modulator.

Also, some broadcasters in the Philadelphia area used Gatley mixers for
remote broadcasts. I remember seeing them at remotes from malls in 1976. As far as locating schematics or technical information, perhaps
some radio station chief engineer could be helpful. Also, Navy personnel
who maintained SITE systems, Interior Communication Electricians. The
entire SITE 1A package was actually sourced and serviced through the
Army Television - Audio Support Activity (TASA).http://tasa.dodmedia.osd.mil/ I have a hunch the
mixer was also used with some other systems by the military. Someone
who was associated with Armed Forces Broadcasting could also be a
source of information. Yahoo groups does have an AFRTS alumni board.

Hope this provides a few leads.

e_musiquest@netzero.com

G

Hello All, I own a Gately Mixer built into a suitcase and I have all the schem for it too. Great sound, with discrete transistor circuits and UTC "O" input transformers and Chicago output transformers(which some people swapped out for Jensens)
I have owned the rack versions as well, and there were versions with quad chips but the company didn't last longer than Mid 70's to my knowledge. Maybe those early awful quad chips contributed to that?
I have a lot of sales literature for the stuff too.
Cheers

Richard Robinson
LA, CA

artstream

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
hi...i worked at gately in the early 70s; you probably have sheet metal that i formed. it was a small but high quality operation, about 20 people, that made broadcast gear; we also made the first consoles with removeable channel strips...the opamps in that mixer are probably old 308's, even before the 741, if that tells you anything; but that was as good as it had gotten; the quad chips were no worse. these turn up on ebay, people buy 'em for the xfmrs; would make a decent multi-channel pre with some reworking: new chips, phantom, and individual outputs. the company did fold mid 70s, the guys that mattered went on to form "mom's wholesome audio" and then "2001 audio"; the boss went to hafler; he had sons who are known in the n.e., one had a studio in n.jersey, one is still the preeminent studio tech in philly; i worked for him too doing live sound and learned much before starting my own sound company out west...good luck....art

teknik

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

I have a moms console
nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS