C610 laptop + PS/2 port splitter

I have a Dell C610 laptop and wanted to use both an external mouse
and an external keyboard.
I purchased a PS/2 "Y" cable - but both devices won't work together...
Each works fine by itself, just not both connected at the same time.

Any ideas ?

"Phil Schuman" <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell C610 laptop and wanted to use both an external mouse
> and an external keyboard.
> I purchased a PS/2 "Y" cable - but both devices won't work together...
> Each works fine by itself, just not both connected at the same time.
>
> Any ideas ?

I had the same problem with my Inspiron. Never got it to work.

My suggestion would be either:

1) A USB Mouse or keyboard
2) A USB splitter -- connects to a USB port and has two PS/2 ports.

Both have worked for me.

Tom

> "Phil Schuman" <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote in message
>>I have a Dell C610 laptop and wanted to use both an external mouse
>> and an external keyboard.
>> I purchased a PS/2 "Y" cable - but both devices won't work together...
>> Each works fine by itself, just not both connected at the same time.
>>
>> Any ideas ?
>>

> I had the same problem with my Inspiron. Never got it to work.
>
> My suggestion would be either:
>
> 1) A USB Mouse or keyboard
> 2) A USB splitter -- connects to a USB port and has two PS/2 ports.
>
> Both have worked for me.
>
> Tom

On my C610's I've usually just used a USB mouse, leaving the PS2 open for a
keyboard if needed. One of the few drawbacks of this model is that fact
that it has only one USB and one PS2 port.

Of course, the OP could also consider getting a C-port or port replicator if
he's using it in this manner at the same location repeatedly. Those can be
had on ebay for little or nothing.

Stew

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)