Buyin a new system, first AMD maybe?

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
I've been running myself into the ground trying to decide on this.

The way i see it i've got two real options atm.

I can buy a XP 2600+ Asus A7N8x Deluxe Motherboard w/OEM CPU, Onboard 6 channel Soundmax Sound, DDR Memory (Dual Channel), Nvidia2 chipset, Fastest if used with two pieces of memory., NVidia2 NForce2 Chipset 2 pieces 512mbCorsair PC3200 CL2 DDR Memory included with bundle.

$934

or i can get

Intel P4 2.8Ghz MSI 648-MAX-L Motherboard, SIS® 648 chipset, 400/533fsb, w/Intel P4 or Celeron 478 CPU, Onboard Sound, Retail Box, AGP socket, USB 2.0, 10/100 LAN, SIS® 648 Chipset 2 pieces 512mbPC2700 CL2.5 DDR APACER Memory included with bundle.

for $851

So, its AMD+nvidia or intel+sis.

Here's the question. do either of these packages have any known issues or compatibility problems with current games and or with the GeForce TI 4600 gfx card or with the Audigy or GTXP sound cards?

I've never bought an AMD proc before and i'm scared spitless about it but i'm scared spitless about a p4 without an Intel chipset too=) So, i'm open to options here.

I do not overclock, so is 1 intake and 1 output fan going to be enough cooling with that AMD solution if i go that way?

Hoping to order this today...-)

Windows is like a house of cards... One wrong move and it all comes crashing down.

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
a7n8x has a lot of issues it seems but sis 648 chipset apparently has a few of its own.i would still go with the amd setup despite the problems-maybe go for a different nforce 2 board and perhaps a cheaper xp 2400-i am running my 2400 on an abit nf7-s at exactly 2600 speed no problem and i am sure it could easily go further.you get more out of your ram on an nforce 2.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Ok as for the P4 route.....u gotta include the same ram......why PC-2700 CL 2.5?? thats like running PC-2100 CL2....

and you not overclocking AT ALL why are you getting PC-3200 CL2 for the AMD System....

Athlon XP 2600+
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
2x 512MB PC-2700 CL2 DDR RAM

As far as soudn cards go dude...ur BEST off using the onboard sound from the nForce 2 Chipset..its very compareable to Audigy or GTXP and u dont need to buy an extra soudn card....

Both will run ANY 1.5Volt compliant AGP Video Card.....and i dunno much abotu THAT SiS Chipset but i know that the nForce 2 is AGP 8X Compliant also.....ur Ti4600 will run fine in both....but i definently recoemnd what i listed above.........

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

Cstew77

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2002
I would go with AMD unless you intend to overclock. I've built several and I haven't had any problems that weren't a result of my own stupidity.

I would consider going with a slightly slower processor. The 2100+ is going for about 85 bucks. You'll pay a premium for that extra little bit of performance. I would pay attention to the HSF that is included. When I toasted my processor, it was because the pathetic HSF that came with. Global Win puts out a nice HSF that doesn't sound like a jet engine. The CAK-II58 is nice, but hard to find.

As for the GeForce card, that's the one I use and I haven't had any problems. In hindsight, I think I'd look at the Radeon 9700 Pro which will set you back around 270 OEM. From what I've read, ATI is putting out some really nice cards and they've finally started to get their drivers working correctly.

Hope this helps

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
oh and as for fans.they are really not so very important if you aren't overclocking.they do help though.the fans you mention would be more than enough.i have one intake at the front and one exhaust at the back on my oc'd system.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]