Sign in with
Your question

heat spreader on barton? that'd be nice

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 27, 2003 6:32:54 PM

the subject of this thread basically says it all. does anyone know if AMD is planning on doing it? because the constant frying of the cpus that you read about is annoying and unnecessary (even if it IS because the person was a noob or doesn't know how to install it or whatever the excuse is)

will barton come with a heat spreader?

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&..." target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>
January 27, 2003 8:24:24 PM

I don't think it will, because that would require the heatsink manufacturers to redesign their products to compensate for the heat spreader. However, I do know that the Athlon 64 will come with one.
a b à CPUs
January 27, 2003 10:16:47 PM

Er, no. PIII heatsinks fit both FC-PGA and FC-PGA2. I know, I work with a lot of PIII's. The thickness of the heat spreader at the die is very thin, and I think the die is set just a hair lower in the pin grid to compensate. The heat spreader actually has a thin top and thick sides

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
Related resources
January 28, 2003 12:45:25 AM

No, the Barton XP's will not use heat spreaders. It will just be another XP core with double the cache.

Look for heat spreaders on the Athlon64 and opteron.
January 28, 2003 5:38:51 AM

99.999999999999999999999999% possibility, NO

<b> "You can put lipstick on a pig, but hey, it's still a pig!" - RobD </b>
January 28, 2003 7:11:59 PM

Please tell me you were smart enough to read the link's title: Computer news HUMOR and JOKES!

It all seemed so obvious in fact, that's a Pentium 4 with a Photoshopped IHS!

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:
!