Sign in with
Your question

How can I get an English version of Windows 7 in China?

Last response: in Windows 7
October 13, 2012 3:45:43 PM

I'm in China and looking into buying a new laptop but they're all in Chinese. The only English versions of Windows 7 I have seen are all pirated. Does anyone know how I can get an English version?

Thanks!
October 13, 2012 3:47:07 PM

If you can get someone that can read chinese, you are able to download language packs, and then set your PC's language to english.

I'll hop on to Windows 7 and check how to do that for you.
m
l
October 13, 2012 4:05:43 PM

The Chinese versions are nearly all pirated too (my wife is from that end of the planet) alot of the legit copies of pro edition are falsely aquired free student copies off dreamspark (hence the lack of COA). For a total language conversion you need Win7 Ultimate, I believe in lower versions you can only do a "partial" change. Maybe just buy it in Chinese and get a cheap OEM copy of Win7 in English sent out to you
m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2012 4:05:58 PM

MajinCry said:
If you can get someone that can read chinese, you are able to download language packs, and then set your PC's language to english.

I'll hop on to Windows 7 and check how to do that for you.

That sounds great! What's the difference between using a chinese version of Windows 7 with an english pack and the actual english version of windows 7?

wr6133 said:
The Chinese versions are nearly all pirated too (my wife is from that end of the planet) alot of the legit copies of pro edition are falsely aquired free student copies off dreamspark (hence the lack of COA). For a total language conversion you need Win7 Ultimate, I believe in lower versions you can only do a "partial" change. Maybe just buy it in Chinese and get a cheap OEM copy of Win7 in English sent out to you

I was at the store checking out laptops today. It seems like most of them come with Windows 7, it's in Chinese though. I don't have the money to put out on the ultimate edition. I looked at newegg for the OEM Windows 7 but they don't ship to China. They have a China site but I can't read it and I would think they would just sell the chinese version on that too.
Thanks!
m
l
October 13, 2012 4:49:05 PM

If your in Beijing, the tech area in Zhōngguāncūn alot of those official looking shops are no garuantee of anything being authentic. I have some Win7 tablets in the house here in the UK that were bought from the manufacturer in China and the Windows was dodgy! Unless you stick to known brand names (as in globally known), lesser known domestic brands are very likely to use pirated software.

Do you have family back in the US? Send them the OEM copy from newegg then you can download an ISO to install from, family or friend can just email you the code then for you to install.

I stand to be corrected but I am reasonably sure you cannot totally transform the OS language in home or pro.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
October 13, 2012 5:20:49 PM

can't you buy a downloadable version from MS, I know that you can d/l it through various MS programmes, technet etc.
m
l
October 14, 2012 2:03:41 PM

After some digging around I found that my home university gives students Windows 7 ultimate to students for free. Am I able to download it to my external harddrive and then intstall it to my laptop using the external hdd or do I need to burn it to a disk?
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 416 $ Windows 7
October 14, 2012 2:09:01 PM

Download the iso and burn the image to dvd with imgburn,then install with the key provided by the university.
m
l
October 15, 2012 1:18:12 AM

I'v been trying all day and I'm only downloading at 10kb/s.... Is it possible to copy the windows 7 home premium files from my old laptop onto my external harddrive, then rip it to a dvd, install it on my new laptop and use my ultimate key to make it the ultimate version for me?

Also, If I found a pirated version of windows 7 ultimate in english, would I be able to enter my ultimate key and make it a legit version?
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
October 15, 2012 5:46:44 AM

yes/no

if you use sysprep to create an out of the box pc, i.e. unaware of its own hardware then you could copy those files to another hdd and just start the hdd up.

BUT (and its a big one), you'd need to reactivate it, which might not be allowed, you may need to download extra files for ultimate, not sure what the process would be for that, and you'd need to reactivate your laptop too, and some settings will be changed by sysprep (possible MS office disruption ).
m
l
!