PowerEdge 2850 Hardware Questions

We are considering the purchase of a Dell PowerEdge 2850 rack-mount
server. I've been looking on the Dell support site for a guide to the
hardware, but have not been able to find all the info we need.

One of the things we would want to do is replace the base CD-ROM with a
DVD-RAM drive for data backup. (Dell does not offer this as an option
on their order page.) Do these systems use standard ATAPI CD/DVD
drives, or are they a proprietary form factor as in notebook systems?
How difficult is it to replace the CD-ROM?

Also I have not been able to find info on what chipset the gigabit NICs
use that are built into these systems. Are they Intel? 3Com? Something
else? (This will be a Linux server and we want to be sure the NICs are
well-supported. Though we can always add a suitable NIC in an expansion
slot if needed.)

A number of types of mounting rails are listed on the order form, at
$249 per set. Are these required, or are they only for the convenience
of being able to slide the chassis out from the rack? Is there any
additional hardware (brackets, etc.) required for a simple "bolt-in"
rack installation?

Anyone know of any "gotchas" in running Linux (most likely Debian) on
the 2850? Thanks in advance for any info!

if there is a DVD option, it will likely be DVD-R / CD-RW. I dont recommend
it for an integrated backup-media solution. Hang a proper tape drive off the
machine, or connect all your servers to a tape-library system of some kind.
FibreChannel can be easily used here.

The chipset on the NIC's will likely vary by design revision number. It is
not uncommon for Dell to offer an Intel chipset on a REV A design, and a
broadcom chipset on a REV B. This has happened on many earlier PE server
families. Also, be aware of PnP-ID changes on identical equipment over time
as well.

You need the rack kit to perform your simple "bolt in" installation. yes,
they allow you to slide the server in and out of the rack. You will need
this, unless you are using some other type of shelf system.

You shouldnt have any problems with Linux. Make sure that the OMSA and OMAM
packages are supported under the distro you use.

If the online site does not offer the exact configuration you want, call the
small-medium business sales group for a more granular config.

The DRAC (version 4) is essential for a lights-out environment. If you have
easy physical access to the server at any time, you might want to save the
cash and invest in a backup solution. Thats up to you.

- NuTs

"pdp11tech" <pdp11@techie.com> wrote in message
> We are considering the purchase of a Dell PowerEdge 2850 rack-mount
> server. I've been looking on the Dell support site for a guide to the
> hardware, but have not been able to find all the info we need.
>
> One of the things we would want to do is replace the base CD-ROM with a
> DVD-RAM drive for data backup. (Dell does not offer this as an option
> on their order page.) Do these systems use standard ATAPI CD/DVD
> drives, or are they a proprietary form factor as in notebook systems?
> How difficult is it to replace the CD-ROM?
>
> Also I have not been able to find info on what chipset the gigabit NICs
> use that are built into these systems. Are they Intel? 3Com? Something
> else? (This will be a Linux server and we want to be sure the NICs are
> well-supported. Though we can always add a suitable NIC in an expansion
> slot if needed.)
>
> A number of types of mounting rails are listed on the order form, at
> $249 per set. Are these required, or are they only for the convenience
> of being able to slide the chassis out from the rack? Is there any
> additional hardware (brackets, etc.) required for a simple "bolt-in"
> rack installation?
>
> Anyone know of any "gotchas" in running Linux (most likely Debian) on
> the 2850? Thanks in advance for any info!

"pdp11tech" <pdp11@techie.com> wrote in message
> We are considering the purchase of a Dell PowerEdge 2850 rack-mount
> server. I've been looking on the Dell support site for a guide to the
> hardware, but have not been able to find all the info we need.
>
> One of the things we would want to do is replace the base CD-ROM with a
> DVD-RAM drive for data backup. (Dell does not offer this as an option
> on their order page.) Do these systems use standard ATAPI CD/DVD
> drives, or are they a proprietary form factor as in notebook systems?
> How difficult is it to replace the CD-ROM?
>
> Also I have not been able to find info on what chipset the gigabit NICs
> use that are built into these systems. Are they Intel? 3Com? Something
> else? (This will be a Linux server and we want to be sure the NICs are
> well-supported. Though we can always add a suitable NIC in an expansion
> slot if needed.)
>
> A number of types of mounting rails are listed on the order form, at
> $249 per set. Are these required, or are they only for the convenience
> of being able to slide the chassis out from the rack? Is there any
> additional hardware (brackets, etc.) required for a simple "bolt-in"
> rack installation?
>
> Anyone know of any "gotchas" in running Linux (most likely Debian) on
> the 2850? Thanks in advance for any info!

As already noted the CDROM is a slimline laptop style drive. You can not
but a standard 5 1/4 drive in the system. Dell sells an 1U empty rackmount
SCSI drive case in which you can add 2 scsi devices.

The 3 2850 I have all have dual Intel Pro/1000 MT nics.

Can't help you with Linux.

If you do purchase the server, or any PE server for that matter, I highly
recommend that you add the DRAC card. This give you complete remote admin
capabilities.

--

Rob

That chassis uses a slimline notebook type optical drive. There is no
space in it to mount a 5.25" desktop drive as I recall from the 2650
(same chassis). The other slots are for hot swap hard drives.

Your best bet is probably to get an external SCSI DVD writer.

Almost all of the late model Dell PE rackmounts use Broadcom gigabit
interfaces on board.

All of the ones I've set up have come with basic rails for mounting in a
standard 19" rack.