US English Windows with Japanese Keyboard....

I am using Windows XP Home Edition which I bought in America.|
I recently moved to Japan.

As I do some work in English and some in Japanese, the Language Bar option
is very cumbersome. So I bought a Microsoft Japanese keyboard so I can
quickly switch between Japanese and American symbols {the grave mark key
toggles between the 3 japanese writing systems, hiragana, katakana, kanji}
Also, many other symbols are different.

Anyways, now that it is installed, Windows still treats it like an American
Keyboard!
How do I get Windows to use this keyboard the way it's supposed to be used.
Macs do this automatically!

--
never honk a donkey
5 answers Last reply

    "cooler than thou" <honk@thedonkey.cum> wrote

    >I am using Windows XP Home Edition which I bought in America.|
    > I recently moved to Japan.
    >
    > As I do some work in English and some in Japanese, the Language Bar option
    > is very cumbersome. So I bought a Microsoft Japanese keyboard so I can
    > quickly switch between Japanese and American symbols {the grave mark key
    > toggles between the 3 japanese writing systems, hiragana, katakana, kanji}
    > Also, many other symbols are different.
    >
    > Anyways, now that it is installed, Windows still treats it like an
    > American
    > Keyboard!
    > How do I get Windows to use this keyboard the way it's supposed to be
    > used.
    > Macs do this automatically!

    Control Panel/Keyboard. Add the languages you like. To switch between
    languages hit Alt+Shift or use your mouse with the icon next to your clock
    that will appear when you add a language.

    Alias

    Alias,

    Thank you.
    However, that only toggles between Japanese and English languages.
    English has one set of characters, but japanese has 4 separate systems of
    characters.  N�t �nly is the keyb��rd l�y�ut different, but the GRAVE mark
    serves as a switch between English letters, Kanji, Katakana, and Hiragana
    <the 4 Japanese writing systems>.

    parentheses are in different places, quotes are in different places, the AT
    sign is in a different place. Righ now this keyboard is behaving like an
    American Keyboard, but it's actual layout is Japanese style. So i want to
    utilize the Japanese layout since that is what I need over here. However I
    don't want to use Japanese Windows since my Japanese isn't THAT high level....

    ï¼­

    "Alias" wrote:

    > "cooler than thou" <honk@thedonkey.cum> wrote
    >
    > >I am using Windows XP Home Edition which I bought in America.|
    > > I recently moved to Japan.
    > >
    > > As I do some work in English and some in Japanese, the Language Bar option
    > > is very cumbersome. So I bought a Microsoft Japanese keyboard so I can
    > > quickly switch between Japanese and American symbols {the grave mark key
    > > toggles between the 3 japanese writing systems, hiragana, katakana, kanji}
    > > Also, many other symbols are different.
    > >
    > > Anyways, now that it is installed, Windows still treats it like an
    > > American
    > > Keyboard!
    > > How do I get Windows to use this keyboard the way it's supposed to be
    > > used.
    > > Macs do this automatically!
    >
    > Control Panel/Keyboard. Add the languages you like. To switch between
    > languages hit Alt+Shift or use your mouse with the icon next to your clock
    > that will appear when you add a language.
    >
    > Alias

    as i'm tinkering around with windows i'm starting to suspect that US Windows
    XP won't allow me to do this easily.

    the most annoying thing is now if i hit certain accidental combos of keys it
    wants to type Chinese. wtf. this DEF won't help....

    can i just re-assign certain keys on the keyboard manually to output the
    correct values that are printed on it?

    it's a microsoft keyboard, so i figure it should be versatile within the
    microsoft windows environment...

    can't anyone shed light on this??

    "cooler than thou" <honk@thedonkey.cum> wrote:

    >as i'm tinkering around with windows i'm starting to suspect that US Windows
    >XP won't allow me to do this easily.
    >
    >the most annoying thing is now if i hit certain accidental combos of keys it
    >wants to type Chinese. wtf. this DEF won't help....
    >
    >can i just re-assign certain keys on the keyboard manually to output the
    >correct values that are printed on it?
    >
    >it's a microsoft keyboard, so i figure it should be versatile within the
    >microsoft windows environment...
    >
    >can't anyone shed light on this??
    Control Panel> Regional and Language Options> Text Services and Input
    Languages> Advanced Key Settings and set whatever hot keys you want to
    switch between layouts

    Thanks for the tip on resetting the keys manually!

    Before I try that, I'm wondering if using the japanese driver for this
    keyboard would do this automatically...
    The disk installed everything in English, so, my guess is it recognized my
    OS as and English version of WinXP. I am not sure what the name of the
    japanese driver file is, but do you think if i install it, my problem might
    be solved?

    trick is finding the name of the file, unistalling the old one and updating
    the driver to the japanese one, manually.

    Also, i wonder if there is a conflict using a driver in a different
    language....

    never honk a donkey

    "Teear" wrote:

    > "cooler than thou" <honk@thedonkey.cum> wrote:
    >
    > >as i'm tinkering around with windows i'm starting to suspect that US Windows
    > >XP won't allow me to do this easily.
    > >
    > >the most annoying thing is now if i hit certain accidental combos of keys it
    > >wants to type Chinese. wtf. this DEF won't help....
    > >
    > >can i just re-assign certain keys on the keyboard manually to output the
    > >correct values that are printed on it?
    > >
    > >it's a microsoft keyboard, so i figure it should be versatile within the
    > >microsoft windows environment...
    > >
    > >can't anyone shed light on this??
    > Control Panel> Regional and Language Options> Text Services and Input
    > Languages> Advanced Key Settings and set whatever hot keys you want to
    > switch between layouts

Keyboards Microsoft Japanese Windows XP