which app to write? - need ideas!

October 15, 2004 9:12:27 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I'm doing a college project on programming. I chose Palm OS because nearly
everyone else chose Windows and I thought this would be different.

The assignment is to write an 'original, complete & functional application'
but the problem is, almost everything's been done! Everything I can think of
you can find on palmgear or handango

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

More about : app write ideas

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 10:33:38 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

an Essay planning application
that allows you to write in bullets and various other list forms. that you
can then export to other programs like doc2go and memo pad

any good?

"Alan" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I'm doing a college project on programming. I chose Palm OS because nearly
> everyone else chose Windows and I thought this would be different.
>
> The assignment is to write an 'original, complete & functional
> application'
> but the problem is, almost everything's been done! Everything I can think
> of
> you can find on palmgear or handango
>
> Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 10:33:39 AM

Veritech wrote:
> an Essay planning application
> that allows you to write in bullets and various other list forms. that you
> can then export to other programs like doc2go and memo pad
>
> any good?
>
> "Alan" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
>>I'm doing a college project on programming. I chose Palm OS because nearly
>>everyone else chose Windows and I thought this would be different.
>>
>>The assignment is to write an 'original, complete & functional
>>application'
>>but the problem is, almost everything's been done! Everything I can think
>>of
>>you can find on palmgear or handango
>>
>>Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I would suggest a Blog support program. Pick a popular web Blog like
Google's Blogger. By selecting a particular Blogger you will greatly
simplify the configuration requirements. Strive for an excellent UI for
configuration. Write a program that could retrieve a Blog for viewing
or storage on an SD card. Provide an editing function geared
specifically to Blog creation and include the ability to publish a new
Blog post or to edit a existing Blog post. There are some bits and
pieces out there but a complete solution.
Related resources
October 15, 2004 12:19:36 PM

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Veritech wrote:

> an Essay planning application that allows you to write in bullets
> and various other list forms. that you can then export to other
> programs like doc2go and memo pad
>
> any good?

Already exists, and FOSS: http://progect.sf.net/

But it needs a maintainer, so if you want to take it over, please do
so. Exports to memo, HTML, LaTeX, PalmDOC, ASCII, etc.

> "Alan" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> I'm doing a college project on programming. I chose Palm OS because nearly
>> everyone else chose Windows and I thought this would be different.
>>
>> The assignment is to write an 'original, complete & functional
>> application'
>> but the problem is, almost everything's been done! Everything I can think
>> of
>> you can find on palmgear or handango
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

October 15, 2004 12:22:50 PM

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, George Fragos wrote:

>> "Alan" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> I'm doing a college project on programming. I chose Palm OS
>>> because nearly everyone else chose Windows and I thought this
>>> would be different.
>>>
>>> The assignment is to write an 'original, complete & functional
>>> application' but the problem is, almost everything's been done!
>>> Everything I can think of you can find on palmgear or handango
>>>
>>> Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
>>>

> I would suggest a Blog support program. Pick a popular web Blog
> like Google's Blogger. By selecting a particular Blogger you will
> greatly simplify the configuration requirements. Strive for an
> excellent UI for configuration. Write a program that could
> retrieve a Blog for viewing or storage on an SD card. Provide an
> editing function geared specifically to Blog creation and include
> the ability to publish a new Blog post or to edit a existing Blog
> post. There are some bits and pieces out there but a complete
> solution.

Already exists, and FOSS. Check out http://palmopensource.com/ for
multiple blogging softwares that do 90% of what you want (no VFS
support maybe).

Also, I like your idea, but I think its too much for 1 student to do
in a semester. VFS, Networking, those are the more complex Palm
stuff you can do, and you are suggesting multiple of them.

-k.
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 7:47:20 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

How about a Hotsync When Available program. Would probably be a hack or OS 5
or 6 related. Basically monitors whatever your network connection is and
hotsyncs in the background when a connection is available. Am I dreaming?

"Alan" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I'm doing a college project on programming. I chose Palm OS because nearly
> everyone else chose Windows and I thought this would be different.
>
> The assignment is to write an 'original, complete & functional
application'
> but the problem is, almost everything's been done! Everything I can think
of
> you can find on palmgear or handango
>
> Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 7:47:21 PM

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:47:20 -0400, Brikp wrote:

> monitors whatever your network connection is and hotsyncs in the
> background when a connection is available. Am I dreaming?

Hotsyncing in the background sounds like a dream to me, since you need to
lock down the data during a Hotsync...

--
Lenroc
October 15, 2004 8:52:04 PM

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Brikp wrote:

> How about a Hotsync When Available program. Would probably be a
> hack or OS 5 or 6 related. Basically monitors whatever your
> network connection is and hotsyncs in the background when a
> connection is available. Am I dreaming?

Wake up from your dream. It is done.

Check out NetSync, BtSync, and/or Syncer. If those don't do it, let
me know and I'll make you one (whats it worth to you?)

This is a 1 day to 1 week project for an advanced Palm programmer.
It might take a beginner a month or a semester.

But the other replay was correct: No background (mayb on OS 6). It
has to be foreground.

-k.
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 10:22:23 PM

KM wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Veritech wrote:
>

>> an Essay planning application that allows you to write in bullets and
>> various other list forms. that you can then export to other programs
>> like doc2go and memo pad
>>
>> any good?
>

> Already exists, and FOSS: http://progect.sf.net/
>
> But it needs a maintainer, so if you want to take it over, please do so.
> Exports to memo, HTML, LaTeX, PalmDOC, ASCII, etc.
>

>> "Alan" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> I'm doing a college project on programming. I chose Palm OS because
>>> nearly
>>> everyone else chose Windows and I thought this would be different.
>>>
>>> The assignment is to write an 'original, complete & functional
>>> application'
>>> but the problem is, almost everything's been done! Everything I can
>>> think
>>> of
>>> you can find on palmgear or handango
>>>
>>> Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

does it post to the Blog directly, edit existing posts or retrieve a
Blog? If not doing a more complete application still makes it original.
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 11:46:39 PM

In order to be "original", you are going to have to write an app that is
very specialized. I'm an engineer and I have a pocket guide to ANSI y14.5
Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing. I'd love to have a palm version of
it. It would be easy in that you could take the paper version and basically
transfer it to the palm. It would be hard in that there are a lot of
illustrations and symbols to create. It should also be fully indexed and
would go to definitions by tapping key words. You could really make it as
small or big of a project as needed because even if you finished all that
you could add short motion demonstrations to some illustrations.

Anyway, if that doesn't work for you, I would try to think of specific jobs
or hobbies that you or your friends have that you could create an app for.
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 1:32:20 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Hi Alan,

I have a suggestion. I happen to like the game "Set" a lot. However I have
not found a palm version yet.
Maybe to easy ? I do not know how difficult it is to write palm programs.

Regards, JWB.

"Alan" <none@nowhere.com> schreef in bericht
> I'm doing a college project on programming. I chose Palm OS because nearly
> everyone else chose Windows and I thought this would be different.
>
> The assignment is to write an 'original, complete & functional
application'
> but the problem is, almost everything's been done! Everything I can think
of
> you can find on palmgear or handango
>
> Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Anonymous
October 16, 2004 9:53:58 PM

Alan a écrit :

> I'm doing a college project on programming. I chose Palm OS because nearly
> everyone else chose Windows and I thought this would be different.
>
> The assignment is to write an 'original, complete & functional application'
> but the problem is, almost everything's been done! Everything I can think of
> you can find on palmgear or handango
>
> Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Here's a simple and fun idea that can reasonably be done during a semester: a
long distance phone call calculator for those who a have a flat-rate plan for a
given number of minutes (I had 120' for 5$): every time you call, you hit a
Start button. This button changes to Stop, that you hit when you hang up. The
program offers a input field to document calls (callee name) and displays them,
one per line, with date, duration and callee name. The total of minutes is
displayed, so you always know how much you've spent so far. And as the program
knows the phone bill cut-off date (configurable), it can automatically reset its
count.

--
Luc Le Blanc
Anonymous

In message <%_Ibd.13$vS1.11@newsfe3-win.ntli.net>, Alan
<none@nowhere.com> writes
>I'm doing a college project on programming. I chose Palm OS because nearly
>everyone else chose Windows and I thought this would be different.
>
>The assignment is to write an 'original, complete & functional application'
>but the problem is, almost everything's been done! Everything I can think of
>you can find on palmgear or handango
>
>Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

So there you are, 8 pm, on the train, just out of Liverpool Street,
your palm playing gently away through the headphones: you want to get
off at Audley End - but drift into a cool jazz induced haze - and its bl
** dy Cambridge before you wake up - for the second time that week !.

So - a really easy to use alarm that you can set on departure, to switch
off the player and wake you up with an alarm through the headphones at a
pre set time ?

I know there are a lot of alarms out there (and in the palm) - but one
that integrates with the player and uses headphones might be original
enough.
--
Richard C
Anonymous

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 05:12:27 GMT, "Alan" <none@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I'm doing a college project on programming. I chose Palm OS because nearly
>everyone else chose Windows and I thought this would be different.
>
>The assignment is to write an 'original, complete & functional application'
>but the problem is, almost everything's been done! Everything I can think of
>you can find on palmgear or handango
>
>Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I have wanted an application to do the following for awhile now. It
would be great if you'd be able to write it.

To explain what I need, Natara has an application called DatePak. You
use it to assemble a set of appointments that you can compile into a
PDA file. You then distribute it and the recipient uses it to
copy/export the schedule to their pda. So it doesn't matter if they
use Outlook, the Palm desktop or another PIM, they can easily add the
items to their pda schedule. I use it to distribute the agenda for our
yearly software conference and kids sport schedules.

I'd like a similar product for memos. We have a lot of memos that
people create within the organization and we distribute regular cdroms
where I could include a palm file. Then everyone could have a copy of
these useful memos on their pda, again without worrying whether they
use Outlook or the Palm desktop.

A couple of possible features for such an application:

The application could have the ability to import a memo or create one
using a simple editor. If it uses it's own editor, it should be able
to do simple things like windows notepad can do, but it should also
limit text input so it doesn't exceed the size of a Palm memo.

It could assign a category which would be used when sent to the pda.
If the category didn't exist, it would prompt the user if it should be
created.

It would allow the creator to group the memos and the user could
install all, a group or individual items.

--
Erik
October 17, 2004 10:44:37 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Alan" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in

> The assignment is to write an 'original, complete & functional
> application' but the problem is, almost everything's been done!
> Everything I can think of you can find on palmgear or handango
>
> Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

How about a multi-clip utility for Palm? Do cut and paste from the last
however many are available, say a dozen? Not exactly the same as
shortcuts. Being able to cut and preserve would allow multiple items to be
moved around on calendars, clips to be reused on the fly, etc.

Just a thought,

-S-
October 17, 2004 10:44:38 PM

You mean ClipPro. http://www.pocketscience.com.au/products.asp

--
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
October 18, 2004 3:50:51 AM

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, Luc Le Blanc wrote:

> Here's a simple and fun idea that can reasonably be done during a
> semester: a long distance phone call calculator for those who a
> have a flat-rate plan for a given number of minutes (I had 120'
> for 5$):

Check out Hours [http://hours.sf.net]. It might be able to do what
you want. Not as well as a dedicated program, but if you need
something working now, it might suffice.

-k.
October 18, 2004 7:39:01 AM

Bruno <insert@address.here> wrote in

>>How about a multi-clip utility for Palm? Do cut and paste from the
>>last however many are available, say a dozen? Not exactly the same as
>>shortcuts. Being able to cut and preserve would allow multiple items
>>to be moved around on calendars, clips to be reused on the fly, etc.
>>
>>Just a thought,
>>
>>-S-
>
> You mean ClipPro. http://www.pocketscience.com.au/products.asp

I had never run across this, thanks for the link. Wish it were freeware -
my favorite :)

-S-
October 18, 2004 11:33:25 AM

Scott <lshugh@hotmail.com.nospam> wrote in

> Bruno <insert@address.here> wrote in
>
>>>How about a multi-clip utility for Palm? Do cut and paste from the
>>>last however many are available, say a dozen? Not exactly the same
>>>as shortcuts. Being able to cut and preserve would allow multiple
>>>items to be moved around on calendars, clips to be reused on the fly,
>>>etc.
>>
>> You mean ClipPro. http://www.pocketscience.com.au/products.asp
> I had never run across this, thanks for the link. Wish it were
> freeware - my favorite :)

Did a bit of looking around... here's a free one:

http://www.palmgear.cn/soft/download.asp?softname=Multi...
2DSlot+ClipBoard&file=17314.zip&save=_ClipBoard_pop.zip
October 19, 2004 4:15:13 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

A Bluetooth stack for PalmOS 3.5.2 (Handera 330/TRGpro)
Not a big re-sale market for the application, but you did just want a
project that hasn't been done. :)
October 19, 2004 4:18:52 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Excuse me, I screwed-up my nickname and email fields.

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 00:15:13 GMT, Ask In Thread. (Squirrel) wrote:

>A Bluetooth stack for PalmOS 3.5.2 (Handera 330/TRGpro)
>Not a big re-sale market for the application, but you did just want a
>project that hasn't been done. :)
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 5:58:32 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Hello, Alan!

I have idea that would benefit many deaf and some hard-of-hearing
people in the USA. Many mobile telephones, pagers, and PDAs with full
QWERTY keyboard exist in the United States and Canada. However, they
are useless for contacting the emergency personnel since the deaf and
some hard-of-hearing people cannot speak or listen on the mobile
telephone.

None of the manufacturers such as RIM Blackberry, palmOne, Danger, and
like are committed to developing the software that emulate the Baudot
signals used in millions of TTY devices in the United States and
Canada.

The closest approximation is the Compact TDD with special connection
for linking with certain number of mobile telephones. Very cumbersome
and very fragile to carry Compact TDD wherever we go.

You can consult the ITU-P V.18 protocol for further detail on the
Baudot signals and its functions. The signal in TTY devices used by
the deaf and some hard-of-hearing people is a 5-bit 45,5-baudot
(50-baudot for international) and does not require the continuous tone
as ASCII does to maintain connection.

We would be most thrilled to have this software! I am certain you will
reap the financial reward for selling the softwares in the United
States and Canada. Imagine the market of 28 million Americans with
hearing loss and about 1 to 2 million users.

I am more happy to test the software!

Regards,
Oliver

"Alan" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<%_Ibd.13$vS1.11@newsfe3-win.ntli.net>...
> I'm doing a college project on programming. I chose Palm OS because nearly
> everyone else chose Windows and I thought this would be different.
>
> The assignment is to write an 'original, complete & functional application'
> but the problem is, almost everything's been done! Everything I can think of
> you can find on palmgear or handango
>
> Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 8:14:29 PM

KM wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Alan wrote:
>> The assignment is to write an 'original, complete & functional
>> application' but the problem is, almost everything's been done!
>> Everything I can think of you can find on palmgear or handango
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
>>

> 7) Be specific. Yes, general computer programs on the Palm have been
> done. Palm users are computer geeks, so blogging and notepad
> software exists of course. But pick a hobby of yours, and you might
> find limitations to what exists. For example, there is not a lot of
> Palm knitting software. You could probably do something original in
> that area. Or Rock climbing, sailing, etc.

Yes, specialise. Thats the way to go.
I recently looked (and didn't find) a program for bird
identification, which combines text, pictures and sound.
Would be great in the field and easier to carry as a book and a
CD-player.
Should be fairly simple to set up a multimedia-database with nice
UI. Difficult part would be to get royality-free pictures and
song-recordings, but thats not necessary for the assigment.

Just my whish/idea.
Count me in as beta-tester ;-)

Jan
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 12:28:58 AM

Squirrel wrote:

> A Bluetooth stack for PalmOS 3.5.2 (Handera 330/TRGpro)
> Not a big re-sale market for the application,
> but you did just want a project that hasn't been done. :)

As for the HandEra 330 one will find a bluetoothed OS version
at the heos41-yahoogroup - the latest known(?), OS 4.1 920.

Gruß
Uwe
October 20, 2004 10:17:50 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Alan" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I'm doing a college project on programming.[snip]
> Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

some very helpful suggestions in that list. Thanks to all who contributed to
the thread. My programming knowledge isn't advanced enough to be able to
write system hacks and such but some of the end user apps mentioned have
definitily given me some ideas.

I've saved the thread and will contact people if I end up developing their
app :)

thanks for your help
October 20, 2004 11:08:04 AM

On 19 Oct 2004 13:58:32 -0700, er_je46@hotmail.com (Oliver Markwirth)
wrote:

>Hello, Alan!
>
>I have idea that would benefit many deaf and some hard-of-hearing
>people in the USA. Many mobile telephones, pagers, and PDAs with full
>QWERTY keyboard exist in the United States and Canada. However, they
>are useless for contacting the emergency personnel since the deaf and
>some hard-of-hearing people cannot speak or listen on the mobile
>telephone.
>
>None of the manufacturers such as RIM Blackberry, palmOne, Danger, and
>like are committed to developing the software that emulate the Baudot
>signals used in millions of TTY devices in the United States and
>Canada.
>
>The closest approximation is the Compact TDD with special connection
>for linking with certain number of mobile telephones. Very cumbersome
>and very fragile to carry Compact TDD wherever we go.
>
>You can consult the ITU-P V.18 protocol for further detail on the
>Baudot signals and its functions. The signal in TTY devices used by
>the deaf and some hard-of-hearing people is a 5-bit 45,5-baudot
>(50-baudot for international) and does not require the continuous tone
>as ASCII does to maintain connection.
>
>We would be most thrilled to have this software! I am certain you will
>reap the financial reward for selling the softwares in the United
>States and Canada. Imagine the market of 28 million Americans with
>hearing loss and about 1 to 2 million users.
>
>I am more happy to test the software!
>
>Regards,
>Oliver

Additional information to support this programming idea.

The company that makes the E9-1-1 answering application (called
"Vesta") used in the 4th largest city in the US (Houston) is Plant
Equipment Inc. (aka PEI)
PEI is located in Temecula, CA. The full address and some possible
phone numbers are below. I have seen "issues" with the "flavor" of
BAUDOT they support and you should contact them for clarification as
to the format they use.

Plant Equipment
42505 Rio Nedo
Temecula, CA 92590 USA
FAX: (909) 296-2727
EMAIL: info@peinc.com
TEL: (909) 719-2100
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 2:34:03 PM

In article <41755d66$0$23432$4d4ebb8e@read.news.de.uu.net>, U. Lippke wrote:
> Squirrel wrote:
> As for the HandEra 330 one will find a bluetoothed OS version
> at the heos41-yahoogroup - the latest known(?), OS 4.1 920.

But has anyone found actual Bluetooth hardware that it'll work
with? No sign of it in the email archives...

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not
entitled to your own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 4:32:40 PM

"Alan" <none@nowhere.com> wrote:
>The assignment is to write an 'original, complete & functional application'
>but the problem is, almost everything's been done! Everything I can think of
>you can find on palmgear or handango

How about a WEP key generator for WiFi networks. I have a dice
rolling program (and a set of D16s) that I can use, but nothing that
properly integrates everything. Probably the hardest part would be
coding a decent random number generator...
October 20, 2004 6:22:32 PM

"RCC" <richard@mapson_cowling1.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D BDaY+CAEXcBFwt4@cowling1.demon.co.uk...
> In message <%_Ibd.13$vS1.11@newsfe3-win.ntli.net>, Alan <none@nowhere.com>
> writes
>>I'm doing a college project on programming. I chose Palm OS because nearly
>>everyone else chose Windows and I thought this would be different.
>>
>>The assignment is to write an 'original, complete & functional
>>application'
>>but the problem is, almost everything's been done! Everything I can think
>>of
>>you can find on palmgear or handango
>>
>>Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
>>

> So there you are, 8 pm, on the train, just out of Liverpool Street, your
> palm playing gently away through the headphones: you want to get off at
> Audley End - but drift into a cool jazz induced haze - and its bl ** dy
> Cambridge before you wake up - for the second time that week !.
>
> So - a really easy to use alarm that you can set on departure, to switch
> off the player and wake you up with an alarm through the headphones at a
> pre set time ?
>
> I know there are a lot of alarms out there (and in the palm) - but one
> that integrates with the player and uses headphones might be original
> enough.
> --
> Richard C

Or maybe integrates with your GPS system to wake you up at the right point,
then there is no need to set an alarm time and automatically takes account
of the inevitable delays.

cheers

David
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 10:17:19 PM

William P.N. Smith wrote:
> How about a WEP key generator for WiFi networks. I have a dice
> rolling program (and a set of D16s) that I can use, but nothing that
> properly integrates everything. Probably the hardest part would be
> coding a decent random number generator...

It might not be that hard on the Palm. The touchscreen digitizer is
a great source of entropy. In fact, it usually has enough noise that
if you are doing something really precise, you find yourself including
some simple low-pass filtering so there won't be so much jitter.
Granted, you'd have to require the user to hold the pen down for a
few seconds (or move it around for a few seconds), but it should be
a pretty rich source of entropy. (You would need to have characterized
the entropy, though, so that you know how to properly use it.)

- Logan
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 10:17:20 PM

In article <PYxdd.29427$Rf4.18249@fe2.texas.rr.com>, Logan Shaw wrote:
> William P.N. Smith wrote:
>> How about a WEP key generator for WiFi networks.
>
> It might not be that hard on the Palm. The touchscreen digitizer is
> a great source of entropy.

There's "Entropy Hack":

http://www.joat.ca/software/entropy.html

Patches SysRandom() to deliver entropy collected from semirandom
events on the palm. Like /dev/random on Linux and the *BSDs.

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"Oh, sure. Let the FBI investigate anybody in any way without
a warrant. Look how much good J. Edgar Hoover did with that
kind of system." - Me
October 20, 2004 10:49:43 PM

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Ray Ingles wrote:
> In article <PYxdd.29427$Rf4.18249@fe2.texas.rr.com>, Logan Shaw wrote:
>> William P.N. Smith wrote:
>>> How about a WEP key generator for WiFi networks.
>>
>> It might not be that hard on the Palm. The touchscreen digitizer
>> is a great source of entropy.
>
> There's "Entropy Hack":
>
> http://www.joat.ca/software/entropy.html
>
> Patches SysRandom() to deliver entropy collected from semirandom
> events on the palm. Like /dev/random on Linux and the *BSDs.

To which I responded with UnEntropyHack. Set all random numbers to
42: http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/unentropyhack.sht...

-k.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 1:05:38 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Alan" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<%_Ibd.13$vS1.11@newsfe3-win.ntli.net>...
> I'm doing a college project on programming. I chose Palm OS because nearly
> everyone else chose Windows and I thought this would be different.
>
> The assignment is to write an 'original, complete & functional application'
> but the problem is, almost everything's been done! Everything I can think of
> you can find on palmgear or handango
>
> Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

How 'bout a Palm version of the TV-B-Gone ( see
http://www.cornfieldelectronics.com/ )? There have been "universal
remote" applications written over the years, but I've never seen a
"universal off switch" written. If you could obtain one of the
units, it shouldn't be too awfully difficult to reverse engineer the
sequence that gets emitted. Probably copyright or patent issues with
trying to do this as a commercial product, but you should be in the
clear for a student project.
October 22, 2004 1:21:08 PM

On Fri, 21 Oct 2004, Andy Hill wrote:
> How 'bout a Palm version of the TV-B-Gone ( see
> http://www.cornfieldelectronics.com/ )? There have been
> "universal remote" applications written over the years, but I've
> never seen a "universal off switch" written. If you could obtain
> one of the units, it shouldn't be too awfully difficult to reverse
> engineer the sequence that gets emitted. Probably copyright or
> patent issues with trying to do this as a commercial product, but
> you should be in the clear for a student project.

Its been done for OmniRemote. Someone made a database and macros for
a few hundred TVs, VCRs, and Cable Boxes. It will cycle through
commands and turn on/off any most any device.

-k.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 5:57:23 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Alan" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<%_Ibd.13$vS1.11@newsfe3-win.ntli.net>...
> I'm doing a college project on programming. I chose Palm OS because nearly
> everyone else chose Windows and I thought this would be different.
>
> The assignment is to write an 'original, complete & functional application'
> but the problem is, almost everything's been done! Everything I can think of
> you can find on palmgear or handango
>
> Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

How 'bout a program for writing down mathematical formulas, suitable
for taking notes in scientific seminars? Essentially, a Palm port of
the 'mimetex' program:
http://www.forkosh.com/mimetex.html

I've already started playing with this a bit, but would be glad to
hand over my minimal work to date, which consists of:
1) a user interface design, including a Palm form
2) a series of minor edits to the mimetex C code which yield a clean
compilation on the Palm Development system.

BTW, if any developers haven't yet looked at the new Eclipse-based
Palm development environment, you should. It's very nice, and free.
It should minimize many of the obstacles to Palm development, which
previously required the not-free (and not cheap) CodeWarrior
environment, or a clunky command-line environment (prc-tools).

Jonathan
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 3:16:15 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Alan" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<%_Ibd.13$vS1.11@newsfe3-win.ntli.net>...
> I'm doing a college project on programming. I chose Palm OS because nearly
> everyone else chose Windows and I thought this would be different.
>
> The assignment is to write an 'original, complete & functional application'
> but the problem is, almost everything's been done! Everything I can think of
> you can find on palmgear or handango
>
> Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Yes, yes, yes! I've been nagging my programmer roommate to do this.
I run a tutoring agency. There's nothing out there that can help me
keep track of all my students and what they need and where they are
(and how to get to them) and how much they've paid me (or not paid
me). At present, I use PocketMoney to keep track of the finances,
Trip to track my mileage, DateBook to record their appointments,
little bits of paper strewn about in my car to record directions from
one student to another, and my memory to recall what the child is
studying and what books I need to bring. I'd love for all this to be
integrated into one nice piece of software - preferably, one that
integrates with DateBook to input all my appointments, and one that
allows me to scribble a map on the screen (or type in directions, or
download them from MapQuest) so I can remember where I'm going. If it
can remember the distance from student to student and record the
mileage for me, that will be nice. I've never seen a
business-tracking program optimized for traveling tutors - if I could
program, I'd write it myself.

LM
!