new dimension 9100 & ide hd backup?

denton

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2005

Hi all...
After many weeks of deliberation, have ordered a new dimension 9100.
Prior to this time I have just about always built my own pc's, and am used
to cloning ide hard drives for backups using Norton Ghost booting from a dos
floppy, then physically disconnedting the cloned hard drive from the system
via a slide in tray.
Any way I can do this with the 9100?

"denton" <news.my180.net> wrote in message
> Hi all...
> After many weeks of deliberation, have ordered a new dimension 9100.
> Prior to this time I have just about always built my own pc's, and am used
> to cloning ide hard drives for backups using Norton Ghost booting from a
> dos floppy, then physically disconnedting the cloned hard drive from the
> system via a slide in tray.
> Any way I can do this with the 9100?

Sure. Either a SATA cage or if necessary an IDE cage plugged into the IDE
channel. Your only problem is that would limit you to one optical drive.

Tom

"denton" <news.my180.net> schreef in bericht
> Hi all...
> After many weeks of deliberation, have ordered a new dimension 9100.
> Prior to this time I have just about always built my own pc's, and am used
> to cloning ide hard drives for backups using Norton Ghost booting from a
> dos floppy, then physically disconnedting the cloned hard drive from the
> system via a slide in tray.
> Any way I can do this with the 9100?

I have not a real answer for your question but maybe I have a worthful hint.
I've been wrestling for days trying to boot my new Dimension 9100 with the
Symantec (NortonGhost 9) Recovery Disc.
The big problem is that the SATA hard disc was not recognized !
I cannot describe the state I was in, because my english is insufficient to
do so. At last I called Dell Techical Service.
After one unavailing try, a second person helped me on the phone to change
something in the BIOS settings. And now it's fixed.
I cannot tell you what exactly to change because I was just clicking the
mouse according to his directions. The BIOS is a rather frightening area to
me. I believe it has something to do with yes-or-no RAID settings.
Possibly a more experienced person can analyze what I've been doing ...
I hope this helps you or others saving some time (and sweat)
Wederik

TRENDING THREADS