Shortcut In User Startup Folder Doesn't Run??

I had created a shortcut and put it in the user (not the system)
startup to cause a utility to run at startup. It was working fine.
Yesterday I moved the executable to a new location, created a new
shortcut and replaced the previous one.

It won't work. XP will not run the replacement shortcut. It behaves
like it's still looking in the original location and thus failing. I
know the shortcut is right because I can run it manually and it works.
Also, if I put the shortcut in the system level startup it woks (I
have reasons why I don't want to run it out of there).

Anybody know why it won't run in the user Startup?

jim
6 answers Last reply
More about shortcut user startup folder doesn

    Hi

    Have you included the full path to the file in the shortcut?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 14:32:11 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Have you included the full path to the file in the shortcut?

    As I said, the shortcut works if I run it manually and if it's in the
    system startup folder.

    jim

    Shortcuts in the Startup folders do not run at Windows startup
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/norunstartup.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:5is6f1dhvj05e34p9k2dk8sv1srivj5ne9@4ax.com,
    jim evans <jimsnews@houston.rr.com> hunted and pecked:
    > On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 14:32:11 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Have you included the full path to the file in the shortcut?
    >
    > As I said, the shortcut works if I run it manually and if it's in the
    > system startup folder.
    >
    > jim

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 12:54:33 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
    <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Shortcuts in the Startup folders do not run at Windows startup
    >http://windowsxp.mvps.org/norunstartup.htm

    Interesting. I thought "that's it." The value for the User data was
    incorrect. It was truncated. Instead of:

    %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    it was
    %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\

    So I corrected it, but it didn't help. Both Registery values are now
    correct. No change.

    Thanks of the try, I thought sure you had it.

    jim

    CORRECTION!!

    That was the problem and returning the Registry values to the defaults
    did correct it.

    I found the article on how to fix it misleading and I did it wrong the
    first time. When I went to the page that page links to it was clear
    what the Registry entries should be.

    Thanks very much for your help.

    jim

    jim,

    Glad to hear you got it fixed. Keep having fun. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:1lv7f1d695kktqrc9b097ppb2t6kvl7i23@4ax.com,
    jim evans <jimsnews@houston.rr.com> hunted and pecked:
    > CORRECTION!!
    >
    > That was the problem and returning the Registry values to the defaults
    > did correct it.
    >
    > I found the article on how to fix it misleading and I did it wrong the
    > first time. When I went to the page that page links to it was clear
    > what the Registry entries should be.
    >
    > Thanks very much for your help.
    >
    > jim

Microsoft Windows XP