Rolandbl

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2003
On my chip it says AMD A1400 AMSW3B. As far as i know this means that my CPU can do max 200 MHz FSB..... Well... My motherboard can only handle 100 MHz FSB, so am I up s... creek, or will my bios regulate the CPU down to 100 FSB... I have set the FSB to 100 in the bios - but i keep having lockups.....

Its not the power supply, i bought a 400w unit yesterday..... yes... bad investment... That was not the problem...

Please help

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
On my chip it says AMD A1400 AMSW3B. As far as i know this means that my CPU can do max 200 MHz FSB..... Well... My motherboard can only handle 100 MHz FSB, so am I up s... creek, or will my bios regulate the CPU down to 100 FSB... I have set the FSB to 100 in the bios - but i keep having lockups.....

Its not the power supply, i bought a 400w unit yesterday..... yes... bad investment... That was not the problem...

Please help

What board are you using?....I think you are just confused with the numbers. Your motherboard will support this processor. If it fits the socket (socket462) then it will work :smile: ...if you are running a 200fsb processor you need to change your fsb on your motherboard to 100 in the bios which you have done. But list your board here so I will not be telling you incorrectly.

No a 400w psu isnt a bad investment. If you plan to upgrade to a powerful system in the future you will need this type of psu. So dont feel bad here.

Lockups can be caused by a variety of problems. To troubleshoot your problems always take everything out of the system you do NOT need to boot with. For example sound card, modem, addon cards etc... then boot and if you do not have any problems add one back at a time until you find your problem. Also if you are using more than one stick of memory do the same by removing one stick and trying each seperate. Also check to see if your vcore, memory timings are set correctly.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are no "200MHz bus" CPU's. AMD made up that lie, it's 100MHz, using Double Data Rate, for twice the throughput. Instead of telling you the bus uses DDR technology, they lied and said it was 200MHz. The fastest bus on the market right now is 166MHz. It also uses DDR technology, so AMD lies and calls it 333MHz.

This lie was such a successfull marketing tool that Intel had no choice but to give in and start lying too. Intel's latest "533" bus uses Quad Data Rate technology, and runs at 133MHz.

BIOS won't report this lie. It will give you the actual frequency used by the clock generator, because the controll in BIOS is FOR the clock generator. So AMD's "200MHz bus" is reported at its actual clock rate, 100MHz.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
So who's the biggest liar? lol :smile: Sorry I couldn't resist.

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>