Dead Dimension 2300 mainboard

Hello all,

A customer brought in a Dell Dimension 2300 that was hit by lightening last
week during a bad storm. After testing and verifying that all the other
components work as they should, I was able to narrow down the problem of no
booting to the mainboard. I swapped two processors and two powersupplies
out all of which didn't solve the problem, but yet did work on other
systems. This left the only possible cause of the problem being a dead
mainboard.

My question is since this system is no longer under Dell warranty, where
would I go to get a replacement mainboard? The service tag/support site
doesn't list a part number or even a description for the mainboard in the
orginial system configuration area, rather the closest thing is the CPU
description. The customer doesn't mind waiting and doesn't ming paying for
the replacement mainboard. I searched the motherboard to find the following
number but I'm not sure what part of that is the actual 'part number' for
the mainboard. Dell's site wasn't none too helpful either. What part of
this number IS the actual part number? I assume I would have to call the
Dell part number?

CN-03T237-70821-28R-A095 Rev. A00

Brad

"B. Walker" <bawalkerREMOVE@THISmodemnet.net> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> A customer brought in a Dell Dimension 2300 that was hit by lightening
> last week during a bad storm. After testing and verifying that all the
> other components work as they should, I was able to narrow down the
> problem of no booting to the mainboard. I swapped two processors and two
> powersupplies out all of which didn't solve the problem, but yet did work
> on other systems. This left the only possible cause of the problem being
> a dead mainboard.
>
> My question is since this system is no longer under Dell warranty, where
> would I go to get a replacement mainboard? The service tag/support site
> doesn't list a part number or even a description for the mainboard in the
> orginial system configuration area, rather the closest thing is the CPU
> description. The customer doesn't mind waiting and doesn't ming paying
> for the replacement mainboard. I searched the motherboard to find the
> following number but I'm not sure what part of that is the actual 'part
> number' for the mainboard. Dell's site wasn't none too helpful either.
> What part of this number IS the actual part number? I assume I would have
> to call the Dell part number?
>
> CN-03T237-70821-28R-A095 Rev. A00
>
> Brad

3T237 is the Dell part number.

You can call Dell Spare Parts: 1-800-357-3355 or they are pretty widely
available on ebay:

A board from a 2350 will also work...

Stew

Also a side question. What if any other boards were compatible with the
Dimension 2300? Like boards from another model Dimension that had higher
FSB or such?

"B. Walker" <bawalkerREMOVE@THISmodemnet.net> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> A customer brought in a Dell Dimension 2300 that was hit by lightening
> last week during a bad storm. After testing and verifying that all the
> other components work as they should, I was able to narrow down the
> problem of no booting to the mainboard. I swapped two processors and two
> powersupplies out all of which didn't solve the problem, but yet did work
> on other systems. This left the only possible cause of the problem being
> a dead mainboard.
>
> My question is since this system is no longer under Dell warranty, where
> would I go to get a replacement mainboard? The service tag/support site
> doesn't list a part number or even a description for the mainboard in the
> orginial system configuration area, rather the closest thing is the CPU
> description. The customer doesn't mind waiting and doesn't ming paying
> for the replacement mainboard. I searched the motherboard to find the
> following number but I'm not sure what part of that is the actual 'part
> number' for the mainboard. Dell's site wasn't none too helpful either.
> What part of this number IS the actual part number? I assume I would have
> to call the Dell part number?
>
> CN-03T237-70821-28R-A095 Rev. A00
>
> Brad

Because the Dimension 2300 has proprietary wiring from motherboard to front
panel and from rear fan to motherboard, you really need another Dell
motherboard. Dimension 2300, 2400, and certain 4000-series boards will all fit.
Your safest choice for a faster FSB is the 2400... Ben Myers

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 23:25:21 GMT, "B. Walker" <bawalkerREMOVE@THISmodemnet.net>
wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>A customer brought in a Dell Dimension 2300 that was hit by lightening last
>week during a bad storm. After testing and verifying that all the other
>components work as they should, I was able to narrow down the problem of no
>booting to the mainboard. I swapped two processors and two powersupplies
>out all of which didn't solve the problem, but yet did work on other
>systems. This left the only possible cause of the problem being a dead
>mainboard.
>
>My question is since this system is no longer under Dell warranty, where
>would I go to get a replacement mainboard? The service tag/support site
>doesn't list a part number or even a description for the mainboard in the
>orginial system configuration area, rather the closest thing is the CPU
>description. The customer doesn't mind waiting and doesn't ming paying for
>the replacement mainboard. I searched the motherboard to find the following
>number but I'm not sure what part of that is the actual 'part number' for
>the mainboard. Dell's site wasn't none too helpful either. What part of
>this number IS the actual part number? I assume I would have to call the
>Dell part number?
>
>CN-03T237-70821-28R-A095 Rev. A00
>
>Brad

Thanks for the great information. I checked the product numbers for the
2400 and the motherboard part numbers there are 7G535, G1548, & F5949.
Visually inspecting them, they look nearly identical to the 2300 mobo.
Except these have onboard LAN, better video, etc. I'm waiting to call Dell
Spare parts tomorrow during the hours, but I'm just creating a note list
ahead of time what would work and what wouldn't work. The person basically
just needs the system back working, without much care as to whats under the
hood.