target tab in shortcut properties not working

When clicking on the find target tab in the shortcut properties box, rather
than opening a window and highlighting the target, windows XP open the search
engine.

I have the similar activity when using Windows Explorer. Clicking on a folder
in the right pane causes search to open rather than opening the file. fd

"Fuel Driver" wrote:

> When clicking on the find target tab in the shortcut properties box, rather
> than opening a window and highlighting the target, windows XP open the search
> engine.

This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
feature for folders. (example)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

Resolution:

Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
(Tip from David Candy)

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

-or-

To fix this manually via registry: