target tab in shortcut properties not working

When clicking on the find target tab in the shortcut properties box, rather
than opening a window and highlighting the target, windows XP open the search
engine.
2 answers Last reply
More about target shortcut properties working

    I have the similar activity when using Windows Explorer. Clicking on a folder
    in the right pane causes search to open rather than opening the file. fd

    "Fuel Driver" wrote:

    > When clicking on the find target tab in the shortcut properties box, rather
    > than opening a window and highlighting the target, windows XP open the search
    > engine.

    This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
    File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
    feature for folders. (example)

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

    Resolution:

    Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    (Tip from David Candy)

    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

    -or-

    To fix this manually via registry:

    If this problem is seen for Drives:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    If this problem is seen for folders:

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Fuel Driver" <FuelDriver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When clicking on the find target tab in the shortcut properties box,
    > rather
    > than opening a window and highlighting the target, windows XP open the
    > search
    > engine.

Engine Microsoft Windows XP