If I were to right-click on c:\ and use disk cleanup..what exactly is it
compressing or cleaning up?

I don't want it to remove what I may need.

Thank you.

[[Compress Old Files - Windows can compress files that you have not used
recently. Compressing files saves disk space, but you can still use the
files. No files are deleted. Because files are compressed at different
rates, the displayed amount of disk space that you will gain is approximate.
An Options button permits you to specify the number of days to wait before
Disk Cleanup compresses an unused file.]]
How to Automate the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315246

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uaVKejcmFHA.860@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
HT <dkafd@akjdf.com> hunted and pecked:

"HT" <dkafd@akjdf.com> wrote in message
> If I were to right-click on c:\ and use disk cleanup..what exactly is it
> compressing or cleaning up?
>
> I don't want it to remove what I may need.
>
> Thank you.

Your post sounds like you have not used Disk Cleanup yet. In addition to
the Reponses on compression, when you run Disk Cleanup, the drive you are
running it on is scanned. Then you get a display of what will happen if you
approve the cleanup. If you select each item, there is a short paragraph on
what happens. However, in general the list is clear. If files are listed
for deletion, and you do not want them deleted, clear the check box next to
the folder. Nothing is removed or compressed until you approve.

Don

It's the NTFS file compression.

[quote from a KB]
Compress Old Files - Windows can compress files that you have not used
recently. Compressing files saves disk space, but you can still use the
files. No files are deleted. Because files are compressed at different
rates, the displayed amount of disk space that you will gain is approximate.
An Options button permits you to specify the number of days to wait before
Disk Cleanup compresses an unused file.
[/quote]

See Also:

File Compression:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_oexm.asp

Disk Cleanup Tool Stops Responding While Compressing Old Files:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=812248

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"HT" <dkafd@akjdf.com> wrote in message
> If I were to right-click on c:\ and use disk cleanup..what exactly is it
> compressing or cleaning up?
>
> I don't want it to remove what I may need.
>
> Thank you.

"Windows can compress files that you have not used recently. Compressing
files saves disk space, but you can still use the files. No files are
deleted. Because files are compressed at different rates, the displayed
amount of disk space that you will gain is approximate. An Options
button permits you to specify the number of days to wait before Disk
Cleanup compresses an unused file."
Ref:-http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315246

regards,
ssg MS-MVP