Low Available Memory

In my system information, it says my "Available Memory" is 24.10%. Isn't
that low? What can be done about that. I have been getting a Blue Screen,
Fatal Error, Memory Dump message.
I contacted Dell, and they said my Hard Drive and Memory is failing. But,
how do they really know? What do I need to do?

Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about memory

    Could we have a bit more information about the fatal error - particularly any
    codes that are given, and any files that they reference?

    Also, on the chance that there is a hard drive problem - backup all your
    important files right now!

    "marshur" wrote:

    > In my system information, it says my "Available Memory" is 24.10%. Isn't
    > that low? What can be done about that. I have been getting a Blue Screen,
    > Fatal Error, Memory Dump message.
    > I contacted Dell, and they said my Hard Drive and Memory is failing. But,
    > how do they really know? What do I need to do?
    >
    > Thanks!

    On the Blue screen, it has: ***Stop: 0x0000007F Memory Dump
    When I did a Diagnosic test, it had Error Code 0F00:013E IDE Device
    and Error Code 3B00:0345

    In news:183C184B-6536-40EF-B078-7DE49F2B2D20@microsoft.com,
    marshur <marshur@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > In my system information, it says my "Available Memory" is
    > 24.10%.
    > Isn't that low?

    No. Wanting to minimize the amount of memory Windows uses is a
    counterproductive desire. Windows is designed to use all, or
    nearly all, of your memory, all the time, and that's good not
    bad. Free memory is wasted memory. You paid for it all and
    shouldn't want to see any of it wasted.
    Windows works hard to find a use for all the memory you have all
    the time. For example if your apps don't need some of it, it will
    use that part for caching, then give it back when your apps later
    need it. In this way Windows keeps all your memory working for
    you all the time.

    > What can be done about that. I have been getting
    > a Blue Screen, Fatal Error, Memory Dump message.

    It's very difficult to help with so little information. What did
    it say on the blue screen?

    > I contacted Dell, and they said my Hard Drive and Memory is
    > failing.
    > But, how do they really know? What do I need to do?

    They probably don't, unless you gave them more info than you gave
    us.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Dell manufactures your PC and they know this code. You now would need to
    replace the RAM and hard drive.

    "marshur" <marshur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > On the Blue screen, it has: ***Stop: 0x0000007F Memory Dump
    > When I did a Diagnosic test, it had Error Code 0F00:013E IDE Device
    > and Error Code 3B00:0345
    >
    > "usasma" wrote:
    >
    >> Could we have a bit more information about the fatal error - particularly
    >> any
    >> codes that are given, and any files that they reference?
    >>
    >> Also, on the chance that there is a hard drive problem - backup all your
    >> important files right now!
    >>
    >> "marshur" wrote:
    >>
    >> > In my system information, it says my "Available Memory" is 24.10%.
    >> > Isn't
    >> > that low? What can be done about that. I have been getting a Blue
    >> > Screen,
    >> > Fatal Error, Memory Dump message.
    >> > I contacted Dell, and they said my Hard Drive and Memory is failing.
    >> > But,
    >> > how do they really know? What do I need to do?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!

Microsoft Memory Windows XP