Computer Setup/Build Help... experts please! :-)

PLMf30

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum... here goes:

Hey guys a few quick questions...

I have a 2 hd's and 2 cdroms (1 burner, 1 regular). How should I set these up on my IDE channels for best performance? (Asus A7V board has (2) UDMA 100/66 (prim/sec), and (2) DMA33 (prim/sec))

I'm using XP Pro... what order do I install drivers in... here are the drivers to be installed:
Via4in1's (Hyperion)
Nvidia Det's
Creative LiveDrivers
Direct X 9.0
Realtek Network Card
Intel Modem

As I think of more, I'll post them. Thanks a lot, all!

Pete

Asus A7V / 900 tbird
SBLive X-Gamer
512mb PC133
13.8 WD hd
MSI GF4 ti4200 w 128mb ram

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's easy-put the hard drives on the fast channel and the CD-Roms on the other two, each as a master/single drive.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

PLMf30

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Basically put each Device (HD or CD) on its own channel as the master? The OS HD on the Primary IDE UDMA100, the other HD on the Secondary IDE UDMA100 slot, then the burner on Primary IDE 33/66 slot, and the reader on Secondary IDE 33/66 slot? Is that correct?

If I find out that I can only use the IDE UDMA100s or the DMA 33/66 but NOT both, how should I set the four devices up then?

Asus A7V / 900 tbird
SBLive X-Gamer
512mb PC133
13.8 WD hd

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The A7V offered UDMA66 on the regular IDE connectors and UDMA100 on the Promise connectors. If I were you, I'd put all four of your drives on the normal connectors and turn off your Promise controller. I only use the promise if I'm setting up RAID... but you can use them if you want to.

Slave the two hard drives together on the primary with your fastest drive as the master and slave the two CDROMs on your secondary IDE port with the newer drive jumpered as the master.

On the driver install sequence, the 4 in 1 drivers first, then the Direct X, then video driver, and finally sound card driver. After that, it doesn't really matter. You can install your network card first if you need it to download the other drivers.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

PLMf30

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Never really understood RAID, to be honest. Apparently its not simple as 100 vs 66 dma speed... Could someone explain it to me, and why I shouldn't go that route as Scout said? Sorry for the lack of knowledge on this guys. Thanks for the help!

Asus A7V / 900 tbird
SBLive X-Gamer
512mb PC133
13.8 WD hd

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can use both, trust me. You simply have to set your BIOS to boot of the UDMA 100 controller first since that's where your hard drives will be.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Either way it doesnt matter as the ASUS A7V NEVER came with Raid anyways.....

The ASUS A7V133 however...DID....

For Optimum performance.....

Best HDD on Primary Master on Promise
2nd HDD on Primary Slave on Promise

Now throw ur cd-rom on Secondary Master on On-Board controller
and cd burner on Secondary SLave on On-Board controller

Now another thing u might wanna do is put the cd rom on Primary Master and than the Burner on Secondary master....the thing is how many IDE Cables do u want blocking air-flow in the case??? thats why i recomend the 1st option i gave for the Cd-Rom's....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You know, you're absolutely right! I WAS thinking of the A7V-133. The A7V didn't offer the RAID option...

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
i know this is the third ooption but the one i have gotten the best all around results with... put the OS HDD as primary master on the promise controller, the other HDD as secondary master, the cd-roms should be run on the reguler controller as primary and secondary master.

<A HREF="http://www.textfiles.com/100/actung.hum" target="_new">Relaxen und watch das blinkenlights...</A>