1337 Uberquiet LOOK MOM NO FANS!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's right, I wanted to see how well a Celeron Tualatin would work as a "Quiet PC". Now the stock Intel fan spun slow, it was very quiet. But people keep talking about this "C3" trash.

I am now, as I write, running a Tualatin Celeron 1100 at 1.30v core, 766MHz. With no fan in site. Not only that, but I'm NOT using some fancy extreme heatsink. No I'm using a PENTIUM 1 HEATSINK pulled from an IBM 166MMX powered machine! That's right, a Pentium 1 heatsink. And it's barely even warm! I'm wondering how far I can push this thing at 1.30v, I'll probably post in the overclockers section on that! Be advised, there is NO REASON to consider a C3 for quiet systems such as Home Entertainment PC's. Nope, you can simply get an old BX motherboard with VRM 8.4 spec regulator and an Upgradeware Slot-T adapter, set your bus lower, pull all the voltage jumpers, and put on a passive sink!

You want a faster bus speed? Well, you could do the same thing with a Tualatin PIII knocked down to 100MHz bus!

If anyone wants a picture, I can send you one!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
sweet, now, how many p1 heatsinks to "no-fan" a 2.4 ....lol; anyways it simply amazes me how you guys keep coming up with these innovative solutions. keep up the good work!!!!!!

yeah, a pic is a must!!

<font color=purple> We can't all be heros,someone has to stand on the sidewalk and clap!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by toester on 01/28/03 10:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
thx......took a long time to think of that one!!! i think my temperal went from 36c. idle to 55c. under that load..lol

oh yeah, yours is our snowmobiling sig!!! lol (scary----eh!)

<font color=purple> We can't all be heros,someone has to stand on the sidewalk and clap!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by toester on 01/28/03 10:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
hehe. My comp has 2 6K rpm fans, and my idle temps are above fifty, even 60 sometimes, and my cpu has gone up to 70 when under full load...is that bad for it? I;ve read it is though I've had it rock stable for 2 years now.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
d00d, I just ran 3D-Mark 2001 and get this-my CPU temp climbed all the way up to 45C! Ambient is 22C.

And NOW LOOK, I just unhooked my video fan too!

Already unhooked my SCSI drive

What I'm left with is a 15db "silent" power supply fan and a hard drive I can't hear over the 15db fan. In fact, on my "noiseless" keyboard, typing is drowning out everything. And I just found out how "noisy" my chair is! What's really weird is listening to myself breath!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, a P4 2.4 underclocked to 1800MHz and 1.30v core should be able to get by on a Zahlman flower cooler I think...without a fan.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Thinking now of undervolting my 15db fan to get it down to 10db, which would be below the threshold of hearing I think from this distance. Oh, I have a nice quiet plastic case.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
LOL you hae gotme started now...

im thinkin of how cool my TbredA Xp1700+ will run underclocked to say 1Ghz and 1.4v.
Shame the mobo doesnt do less than 1.4v.

with my MCX-462 im pretty sure i could run it fanless too.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
hey, if it ain't broke----leave it be, 2 years and no problem at that temp-----good on ya man. also i was attempting a poor joke;as i was referring to my head("temperal") temp as apposed to an actual sys. maybe i'll stick to my day job. lol :)

<font color=purple> We can't all be heros,someone has to stand on the sidewalk and clap!!

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
hey, no one likes a braggert!!!!! lol lol( wishing my sys. could'nt be heard would be; ohhhh sooo sweeeet!!! though!!!

<font color=purple> We can't all be heros,someone has to stand on the sidewalk and clap!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by toester on 01/29/03 08:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
"Hmm, a P4 2.4 underclocked to 1800MHz and 1.30v core should be able to get by on a Zahlman flower cooler I think...without a fan."

hey, is underclocking achievable on a p4, if so, HOW?? (some will undoubtedly ask--WHY, i'm sure!!!)

<font color=purple> We can't all be heros,someone has to stand on the sidewalk and clap!!

flowmaster

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
:( now i wanna go fanless.. oh the shame!
Im going to go fanless on my athlon xp 2600+
ok ill see and if I dont post here again it means that im "temporarly" without a working computer but oh well ill try. :smile:

:smile:

eden

Champion
I think PCs need some fan sound when booting up, otherwise it's misleading, and if done on an AMD, you'd think the fan not spinning is a bad sign of upcoming fires!

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

eden

Champion
Oh no I was actually saying that to Crash, stating my opinion in fanless achievements.
It's in a comical way that I said it as well, since yeah, booting with nothing spinning is rather weird, you wonder if it even turned on!

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

Great! Now I listen to you guys and blow a perfectly good AXP 2600+!

er....or was I supposed to NOT remove the heatsink too?

Hang on...lemme try this again....see if the same thing happens....

This post is guaranteed fresh for up to 7 days after the date printed on the box.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's a standard Pentium heatsink from an IBM Pentium 166MMX system. It's 50x50x50mm, roughly, with the fins spaced widely apart for better air circulation without a fan. It weight less than my PIII heatsink did with it's fan removed. In fact, it weighs less than any modern cooler.

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
yes, by reducing the fsb to 100 x 18=1800, but what about us 2.4a owners? are we s o l ?

Yup, yup....its confirmed....

Even if you unplug the hsf BEFORE taking the heatsink off the cpu, it still fries the CPU...It seems that no matter what you do...if you take the heatsink off, you get this burning smell after a few seconds....

I really do think I am doing something wrong here....hmmm....Oh well...time to throw another one on and see if my next idea works!

This post is guaranteed fresh for up to 7 days after the date printed on the box.