May 19, 2001
http://www.x86-secret.com/popups/articleswindow.php?id=67

They claim to have a lot of unofficial stuff
1 long horn windows
1 .net windows
1 ES sample P4
1 ES sample AXP
1 K8 paris

It been clear on last AMD road map that they will go with 1MB of L2 cache on Athlon 64 i guess AMD have made the same conlcusion that me A64 wont be competitif with NW with only it On die MCH.

Gain at equal frenquency and very low compare to AXP expect on some benchmark that like low lantency.Around 10 to 15%.The big question is how it really scale because a single DDR 333 can send more that 1.8/GBS compare to the 2.4 GB of PC 1066 does the low lantency will do the job or the bandwith starving will affect the scalling at high speed.

They got a score about 40% lower lantency compare to AXP 333 FSB so again a canterwood chipset they lanteny gap will shrink to about 0 to 25 %.The only thing it become hard to predict is how much the lantency will decrease as K8 will scale in frenquency

Just next to the lab and the bunker you will find the marketing departement.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by juin on 01/29/03 00:09 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
<A HREF="http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.x86-secret.com%2Fpopups%2Farticleswindow.php%3Fid%3D67&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools" target="_new">KayAteTranslate</A>

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Schmide on 01/28/03 09:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
I wasn't dumping on anyone. I've learned to read Juin.

I was amazed at how well the article translated from French to English with Goggle Translate. Too bad it seems the article is not showing up on their site any more. It was a good read.

The Latency on the Opteron is amazing.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Here is a link to the article preface...<A HREF="http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.x86-secret.com/popups/newswindow.php?id=483&langpair=fr|en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools" target="_new">LinkoPageoPreviouso</A>. Link at the bottom is what Juin passed on.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Too bad it seems the article is not showing up on their site any more. It was a good read.

The Latency on the Opteron is amazing.

Yes 30 NS less that a EV7/PC800 i guess with PC 1066 the gap shirink to less that 5NS the low point is the number of open page i guess AMD have move to at 12 or 24 it close to the max a DDR setting.A EV7 have more that 2000 open page that way more that plain I850E.Some may say 24 it low compare to EV7 but way better that ganite bay or I845 or any via SIS offering

Just next to the lab and the bunker you will find the marketing departement.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Did my eyes just decieve me???
Did i see Juin Praise a AMD product???

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Smeagol is jealous. Give us the Precious. You stole it you nasty hobbits's.

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Hyper transport is also more advanced that any kind of chip to chip see so far as also a optical version is under studie.Also unlike 3GIO and Redwood it work now and in use now.Redwood will kick is ass but until it release in 1 or 2 year it will be king.Most of protocol made at Intel is deceving infiniband and 3GIO.Infinibadn as been flush even by intel itself also 3GIO dont have made is mark on the market yet.

My position on AMD CPU tech dont have change.Kill the CISC CPU

eden

Champion
Well, the benches are weak, there is still room for improvements. (200MHZ FSB+on-die NB, should yeild much more per clock)
I doubt AMD will ever release a 1.4GHZ Athlon 64 anyways, it is way too weak compared to Opteron.

And as we can see, the AGP has not been fixed.
Other than that, the multiplier thing surprised me. First in that we were not sure whether or not and how it clocks, and what is the FSB. Then the FSB at 200MHZ which is quite amazing. It will allow easier ramping with lower multipliers.

What also stands out for real though is the heat output. That was a surprise, the AMD was running relatively cool at Full load. In contract to its 400MHZ higher clocked brother and the 2.2GHZ P4, this promises lots of room for clock speeds.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
We dont really need benchmark to get the figure

6.4 gb/s vs 2.7GB/s that even worse that right now