Inspiron 6000 DOA / Customer service is a Joke!

I purchased an Inspiron 6000 on the 16th of July and recieved it DOA on the
22nd. I called Dell's so called "Customer Care" and spent the next two
and a half hours on the phone between being put on hold for long
stretches, having my call dropped and landing back on hold, and bouncing
between 3 different reps who gave me totally different information each
time.
The last agent (the one who finally put through my exchange) told me that
I would recieve an email so that I could track my replacement systems
progress and that I would have it in a maximum of 8 days. The email I
recieved had no way of tracking the system progress, so I called Dell back
2 days later and was told that I should recieve it the next day via DHL.
I made sure someone was home all the next day, but no delivery was made.
The following day I called Dell again and was told that they didn't know
what I was talking about and that it could take up to 14 days to recieve
the replacement. Well that is very convienient seeing as it leaves me
very little time to return the first system within the 21 day window that
Dell allows. I told them that this was rediculous that they original
system hadn't taken 2 weeks, so why should the replacement system? Dell's
Award Winning Customer Service has left a bad taste in my mouth. This is
my first purchase with Dell and if my new system is not here within the 8
days originally promised it will be my last and they will get this POS
back for refund.

Wouldn't turn on at all. Just dead. Big ole paperwieght right out of the
box.

In these kinds of cases I suggest that you take charge of the matter and
upon calling Dell Customer Service, insist on speaking with a manager or
supervisor immediately. Have all your documentation ready. This includes
all emails, invoices, system serial numbers, and other correspondence with
Dell. Take notes during your calls to Customer Service, making sure to get
names and employee numbers.

The treatment you have received is not typical of Dell Customer Service.
They need to know you are not a happy camper. Don't be shy about telling
them.

"nhkat2" <nhgirl1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I purchased an Inspiron 6000 on the 16th of July and recieved it DOA on the
> 22nd. I called Dell's so called "Customer Care" and spent the next two
> and a half hours on the phone between being put on hold for long
> stretches, having my call dropped and landing back on hold, and bouncing
> between 3 different reps who gave me totally different information each
> time.
> The last agent (the one who finally put through my exchange) told me that
> I would recieve an email so that I could track my replacement systems
> progress and that I would have it in a maximum of 8 days. The email I
> recieved had no way of tracking the system progress, so I called Dell back
> 2 days later and was told that I should recieve it the next day via DHL.
> I made sure someone was home all the next day, but no delivery was made.
> The following day I called Dell again and was told that they didn't know
> what I was talking about and that it could take up to 14 days to recieve
> the replacement. Well that is very convienient seeing as it leaves me
> very little time to return the first system within the 21 day window that
> Dell allows. I told them that this was rediculous that they original
> system hadn't taken 2 weeks, so why should the replacement system? Dell's
> Award Winning Customer Service has left a bad taste in my mouth. This is
> my first purchase with Dell and if my new system is not here within the 8
> days originally promised it will be my last and they will get this POS
> back for refund.

I spoke to one supervisor somewhere in the middle of this fiasco, and he
told me that I was getting expedited service and overnight shipping and
that should make me happy. I said, but can you tell me the status of the
system? He said it is in production. I said what stage of production?
He said he didn't know.

I tried to talk to another supervisor yesterday, but the customer service
rep absolutely refused to let me.

Today I got a call from a customer service manager (who obviously didn't
read my case #, ect) who called to ask how I liked my new system.
I told him so far it really stunk because it wouldn't power on at all.
All he says is "oh". I said could you please find out the status on my
replacement, and he said he would and would call me back tomorrow. He
then proceeded to tell me not to open any emails from Dell because they
could possibly contain a bad virus.

I am thinking ok this is just great I am trying to get info from these
people and now I can't open an email from them if they send one.

Clark wrote:

> This may be off the subject, but what do you mean by DOA? It wouldn't boot
> at all?

"DOA" generally means "dead on arrival", which is my take here.

"nhkat2" <nhgirl1@yahoo.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> He
> then proceeded to tell me not to open any emails from Dell because they
> could possibly contain a bad virus.

WTF?!?

A virus? I find that hard to believe. From a spoofing site, sure. But a
virus from Dell? Did you get any kind of order number or customer number?
You should be able to check your order status online with those.

It is remarkably frustrating when you receive service like you have
apparently been dealing with. There are alternatives to calling Dell
Customer Service when you encounter this kind of problem. Call the Sales
Department and explain that their people in Customer Service are behaving
like a bunch of jerks.

"nhkat2" <nhgirl1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I spoke to one supervisor somewhere in the middle of this fiasco, and he
> told me that I was getting expedited service and overnight shipping and
> that should make me happy. I said, but can you tell me the status of the
> system? He said it is in production. I said what stage of production?
> He said he didn't know.
>
> I tried to talk to another supervisor yesterday, but the customer service
> rep absolutely refused to let me.
>
> Today I got a call from a customer service manager (who obviously didn't
> read my case #, ect) who called to ask how I liked my new system.
> I told him so far it really stunk because it wouldn't power on at all.
> All he says is "oh". I said could you please find out the status on my
> replacement, and he said he would and would call me back tomorrow. He
> then proceeded to tell me not to open any emails from Dell because they
> could possibly contain a bad virus.
>
> I am thinking ok this is just great I am trying to get info from these
> people and now I can't open an email from them if they send one.

That's exactly what I said! Here I am trying to straighten out this
problem and now I can't open their emails.

Well, I finally recieved my new 6000 on Friday afternoon (within the
original 8 days). This one works fine. Now I just have to ship the other
one back to Dell and this nightmare should be over (I hope!). The type of
service, or lack of it, doesn't make me feel too secure about the extra 2
year extended warrantee and complete care I purchased, but....
I will be sending a detailed letter to Dell anyway letting them know that
I do not expect this form of "customer service" in the future.

Dell could certainly take a lesson in customer service from DHL. I called
for a pickup on the dead system, got a person immediately, and the pickup
guy was in my driveway in 10 minutes (said he happened to be in the
nieghborhood already). I will definitely keep them in mind when shipping
something next time.

> Dell could certainly take a lesson in customer service from DHL. I called
> for a pickup on the dead system, got a person immediately, and the pickup
> guy was in my driveway in 10 minutes (said he happened to be in the
> nieghborhood already). I will definitely keep them in mind when shipping
> something next time.

DHL/Airborne rocks. They delivered a replacement part to me around 9am one
morning, and I called for pickup of the old part around 11am. They were
back at 2pm to retrieve the old part - same driver :)

Stew