Sign in with
Your question

Help me guys!

Last response: in CPUs
January 29, 2003 4:29:51 AM

My computer tends to inadvertently reset itself every now and then for no reason. Example: I will be surfing the net or doing homework and out of nowhere, it resets. It will also do this while I'm playing games (such as UT2003), or listening to mp3s. I dont know if this is a hardware or software issue.

I put the computer together myself, so MAYBE I didnt hook everything up right...but if I didnt hook everything up right, it just wouldnt run, right?

Windows Online Crash Analysis says its a driver error, but it doesnt know which driver caused it. Ive checked in Device Manager, and all the hardware seem to be running properly. It might be Norton Antivirus, since antivirus programs install drivers into the system, but im not sure.

So far, the big blue screen of death says this:

"A serious error has occured.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0xFFFFFFEC, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x80511403)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete
Please contact your system administrator"

I am totall stumped on what this means. I hope someone can help me out. Here are the specs to my computer, maybe someone can figure out whats wrong:

-Asus P4S8X ACPI Bios 1003A
-P4B 2.4ghz
-Samsung 512 DDR
-ATI Radeon 9500 Pro running Catalyst 3.0 and DirectX 9
-Maxtor 80 gig harddrive
-Windows XP Pro w/SP1

More about : guys

January 29, 2003 4:38:07 AM

Are you sure your not overclocking ??

it sounds to me like your ram is running out of spec.

Make sure its set to SPD in the bios or AUTO.....

If not that I'd say its the power supply not providing enough current to your system...but im sure it wouldnt BSOD like that....

Another thing could be the Video Card driver.....also make sure u have the SiS AGP Driver installed........also go to ATI's website and download the absolute latest Catalyst driver...i think its liek 3.10 or something now??? anyways yea...hope that helps...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2003 5:56:35 AM

>IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

One of the hardest errors to diagnose.. could be so many things.. but I think in this case it should be rather easy:
> and DirectX 9
Why on earth did you install such a buggy beta release of DX on your machine ? No way to uninstall it either...reinstall everything, and stick to DX8.1

Second posibility: PSU to weak or not delivering a clean signal.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
Related resources
January 29, 2003 1:42:40 PM

I've had a similar problem in the past on an older mobo. It mostly occurred when I moved my little tv program--move it and the computer would reset--actually reboot. Although, sometimes it would generate an error message like that.

When playing other types of games it would stop and generate the same message you received. After some time I thought I would replace the video card. For some time it seemed to have disappeared. Some time later it re-occurred.

I took my memory out and tested it thoroughly. The video card I replaced it with was a gforce 4 ti 4200 by asus. In the end I concluded it was the motherboard and just replaced it. No more problems. All the other components were the same including nic, video, sound, memory, HD, etc.

Your mobo is under a 3 year warranty. You might want to get it replaced.
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2003 6:07:19 PM

GRRRR! I've told at least 50 people not to buy that board, doesn't anyone read about problems in here BEFORE they make a purchase?

Your board is defective. Replacing it won't help, because it's a DESIGN defect. Asus claims there are no problems...but that's just because they don't want to deal with the problems.

The problems most commonly reported are 1.) Memory errors 2.) AGP instability with AGP8x cards. I think problem 2 is a result of problem 1. As to what causes the errors, I think it may be bad power regulation on the board.

People have gone so far as to blame the SiS 648 chipset, since the problem also occurs on MSI boards. But I think the real problem is that both the Asus and MSI boards are very cheaply made. Gigabyte's version for example does not have these problems.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 29, 2003 6:32:22 PM

ive had the same screen with using dx8.1 .
In my case the irq is being shared by many pieces of hardware and when all those hardware is used at once
itll be a big error on your computers part and a blue screen throws itself up. But that was when I had a weak power supply that barely held up my system. So its the irq as the blue screen says and that the power supply didnt give you computer enough power to keep something going.

:smile:
January 29, 2003 11:12:38 PM

so, your saying it is probably my power supply? Im running a 350W, so that should be plenty even for the 9500 pro. My CPU isnt overclocked yet.
But, also u say it could be the motherboard?!?!? :( 

Oh, and my ram is set to AUTO, so it should be optimized no?
And crashman, do u think adding a bigger power supply would help the power regulation problem?
January 30, 2003 1:33:05 AM

I didnt mean to say it was your case but when I got those type of screen thats what my problems were back then.

:smile:
!