Reinstalling Norton AV

Scott

My wife ordered a Gateway 320S notebook. I have a copy of Norton 2002 AV that
came on a CD with another 3-year old Gateway laptop. I believe it's a 90-day
trial program. Would it work to install that copy of Norton 2002 on the new
laptop and then subscribe on a yearly basis afterwards? Or does Gateway still
include a trial version of Norton AV 2005 with their notebooks? From what I've
read, Norton 2002 is more stable than the newer versions.

Thanks!
Scott

Scott,

I can only report that I have Norton running on three Gateways, a 700XL, a
300S and 200X laptop. They are all the 2005 issue. The laptop has only
Norton AV (aka Norton Internet Security which includes the Norton
Firewall). The other two computers have Norton Internet Security and Norton
SystemWorks. The only computer I am having a problem with is the 300S;
sometimes the AV says I am not protected against rapidly spreading threats
and that AutoProtect is Off. The program won't let me turn AutoProtect on.
I have followed the instructions given on the Symantec web site on how to
fix this, but the problem still exists. It does not happen every time the
computer is booted, only every now and then. I dunno why!!

I have no issue with Norton Internect Security 2005 or with Norton
SystemWorks 2005. They seem to work. I will warn you that if you put a
Symantec/Norton product on your computer, the only way to remove it for sure
is a complete reformat of the hard disk and start over. Even Symantec
cannot get the stuff off.

I checked the Symantec web site and did not see any reference to the 2002
version of the product. That does not mean that they won't/don't support
it. I suggest you check the Symantec web site to see if they still offer
support. I do know that somewhere along the line of their products, they
changed the method by which virus definition files are downloaded and, I
think, they changed the format of the file(s) that might make them
incompatible with the 2002 product. Go to Symantec and snoop around.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Turner

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> My wife ordered a Gateway 320S notebook. I have a copy of Norton 2002 AV
> that
> came on a CD with another 3-year old Gateway laptop. I believe it's a
> 90-day
> trial program. Would it work to install that copy of Norton 2002 on the
> new
> laptop and then subscribe on a yearly basis afterwards? Or does Gateway
> still
> include a trial version of Norton AV 2005 with their notebooks? From what
> I've
> read, Norton 2002 is more stable than the newer versions.
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

Scott

Turner Morgan wrote:

> Scott,
>
> I can only report that I have Norton running on three Gateways, a 700XL, a
> 300S and 200X laptop. They are all the 2005 issue. The laptop has only
> Norton AV (aka Norton Internet Security which includes the Norton
> Firewall). The other two computers have Norton Internet Security and Norton
> SystemWorks. The only computer I am having a problem with is the 300S;
> sometimes the AV says I am not protected against rapidly spreading threats
> and that AutoProtect is Off. The program won't let me turn AutoProtect on.
> I have followed the instructions given on the Symantec web site on how to
> fix this, but the problem still exists. It does not happen every time the
> computer is booted, only every now and then. I dunno why!!
>
> I have no issue with Norton Internect Security 2005 or with Norton
> SystemWorks 2005. They seem to work. I will warn you that if you put a
> Symantec/Norton product on your computer, the only way to remove it for sure
> is a complete reformat of the hard disk and start over. Even Symantec
> cannot get the stuff off.
>
> I checked the Symantec web site and did not see any reference to the 2002
> version of the product. That does not mean that they won't/don't support
> it. I suggest you check the Symantec web site to see if they still offer
> support. I do know that somewhere along the line of their products, they
> changed the method by which virus definition files are downloaded and, I
> think, they changed the format of the file(s) that might make them
> incompatible with the 2002 product. Go to Symantec and snoop around.
>
> Hope this helps a little.
>
> Regards,
>
> Turner

Turner,

Yes, that definitely helps. I'm usually in favor of the latest version, but I have
heard of issues with Norton AV 2005 not installing properly (and then being hard to
get rid of). On my 2-year old notebook, I just keep renewing the subscription every
year. I manually download AV 2002 updates every day or so, and that feature has
always worked well...so it looks like they continue to support virus definition
updates for older scan engines. I suspect the 2005 AV has a better scan engine, but
I'm leery of inheriting new problems, in lieu of so many user complaints about the
2004 and 2005 versions. One would assume that each new version would get better and
better, but, alas, this is not always true.

Thanks!
Scott

Several of my clients installed NAV 2005 without uninstalling an earlier NAV.
This is not recommended.

If a computer has the right spyware, adware or other varmint running when
installing NAV 2005 or any other AV software, the installation is likely to
fail. A lot of these varmints are slick enough to defeat AV software if they
get in the system first.

Finally, NAV can be removed completely from a system, but only if one is willing
and able to run regedit and manually delete all the pertinent entries. Most (if
not all) of the NAV files are easy to chase down and delete by hand.

.... Ben Myers

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 21:23:22 -0400, "Turner Morgan" <wa4mqy_mobile3@comcast.net>
wrote:

> [...]
>> I've
>> read, Norton 2002 is more stable than the newer versions.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Scott

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> My wife ordered a Gateway 320S notebook. I have a copy of Norton 2002 AV
that
> came on a CD with another 3-year old Gateway laptop. I believe it's a
90-day
> trial program. Would it work to install that copy of Norton 2002 on the
new
> laptop and then subscribe on a yearly basis afterwards? Or does Gateway
still
> include a trial version of Norton AV 2005 with their notebooks? From what
I've
> read, Norton 2002 is more stable than the newer versions.

Just had a frustrating Norton upgrade experience topped off with phone
conversation with agent who had an obvious Indian accent. Both my machines
are due for resubscription but when I did first I was told that 2003 not
fully supported and I should buy 2005, $29.95 downloadable upgrade. I
downloaded but had unknown phone problem and it took forever for the 25 mB
file.

Installed and took forever to get new information. Also, Norton clipped me
for a month of service - I thought they would just add on the month I had
left.

Since I do not have high speed, thought I'd buy the CD, Best Buy and Staples
$49.95 with $20 rebate. I hate rebates.
Call to company said I could not copy my download to CD and take to other
machine even if willing to pay for extra copy.