Question about thermal grease

KaboomX

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I am currently building a system, and just recieved my motherboard and AMD Athlon XP CPU along with fan. I installed the Motherboard then installed the cpu and went on to install the fan. I followed the instructions and looked at the illustrations from the back of the fan retail box.I applied the thermal grease under the fan, once i tried to put the fan in I got some thermal grease ontop of the CPU, some on the core, and some on the little metal thingies next to the core. Its not alot but it is visible. I'm worried now, and wondering if I destroyed or ruined anything. I'm pretty much new to this so I'm looking for some input from experienced people. I can't test out the system either because I don't have all the parts yet.

flowmaster

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
Trust me its only grease.
Think of it as this.
Your changing oil in your car and some spills inside.
Will it harm your car?
Nope. Just wipe it off if you want(watch cleaning the inside your computer when its on and dont use a wash cloth but a cleanex because it has less static.) and go on.

:smile:

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
it is most likely nothing to worry about. but if you are as particular as me, you should be able to clean off the grease with a little rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip. i recommend trying to find the 91% alcohol, you should be able to get it at any supermarket.

<A HREF="http://www.textfiles.com/100/actung.hum" target="_new">Relaxen und watch das blinkenlights...</A>