Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
When overclocking your FSB, should you increase the Vcore and DDR voltages for increased stability?

For example, I have heard the Athlon XP on the Palomino core runs at 1.750 Vcore. The range in my BIOS is from 1.500 to 1.850

RAM modules run at 2.5 V, right? My range can go from 2.5 to 2.8

If I am overclocking my FSB, should I increase these values, or leave them alone?

-----

Benchmarks don't lie :)

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
Hi there

Overclocking your fsb, as you suspected, involves speeding up two components, your ram, and your cpu. Therefore, doing that will make a need for a small voltage increase, depending on how far you take it. I would'nt go too high, for example more then 10 %. It also depends too, if you can overclock to the point where you are satisfied, and you have not modified the voltage, and you are running stable, then it is more desirable to keep your voltage for any component as low as possible.

Y'all steady tryin to drown a shark....

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
The ONLY time u need to raise the voltages is to maintain stability...if its stabel WITHOUT raising the voltages..LEAVE IT...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
Can increasing voltages result in any bad effects other than causing more heat? Why would you want to keep it as low as possible?

-----

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
As I said, and then Metal Rocker reiterated, if its stable, and you are where you want to be, dont change it.. Sorta like the old saying "If it's not broke, don't fix it!" There is a reason voltages are set to a default value, by experts. Sometimes, it pays to leave them there if you get my drift.

Y'all steady tryin to drown a shark....

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
More heat could in itself actualyy lead ot instability.....and mayeb even thermal death...it depends...if ur usign the stock heatsink and fan DO NOT overclock as its only meant to cool at stock settings...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
Ok, aside from possible increased heat, can increasing the voltages result anything else bad? I mean can increasing them in and of itself run in instability?

I have sufficient cooling for my system.

-----

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
the extra voltage is to provide the transistors the ability to switch faster. if you over power the transistors by increasing the voltage too much you could theoretically shorten the life of the transistors (your CPU,) even if you have adequite cooling.

<A HREF="http://www.textfiles.com/100/actung.hum" target="_new">Relaxen und watch das blinkenlights...</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by munkey on 01/30/03 06:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS