Opinion: Pinball Locator Website...

salty

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004

I've been thinking about building a site that people/operators can sign
up to and list the locations of pins locally. Hopefully, this would
allow people to be able to play machines they wouldn't otherwise know
about, or find somewhere to play when they're out of town. Of course
the added benefit is that the operators' machines make a few extra
bucks and we can all help to keep pinball alive. (If the routes don't
make money, then we all lose!)

Features that I'm thinking of including would be:

-Free, community maintained
-Location by miles from zipcode
-Condition of the pin
-Current High Scores (maybe)
-Match making - Let me people leave messages that they will be at a pin
at a specific time in case you're feeling competetive.

Before I pour a bunch of time into this site, I'd like to get the your
opinions on whether this is needed/wanted and what other kinds of
features you'd like to see. Of course, I have two project pins to work
on before I have enough spare time to devote to it, but I'm willing to
put the time in if there's enough interest.

Thanks!

-Jonathan

There's also one at http://www.pinballrebel.com/locator/index.php

GRY

"Salty" <salty_sohal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've been thinking about building a site that people/operators can sign
> up to and list the locations of pins locally. Hopefully, this would
> allow people to be able to play machines they wouldn't otherwise know
> about, or find somewhere to play when they're out of town. Of course
> the added benefit is that the operators' machines make a few extra
> bucks and we can all help to keep pinball alive. (If the routes don't
> make money, then we all lose!)
>
> Features that I'm thinking of including would be:
>
> -Free, community maintained
> -Location by miles from zipcode
> -Condition of the pin
> -Current High Scores (maybe)
> -Match making - Let me people leave messages that they will be at a pin
> at a specific time in case you're feeling competetive.
>
> Before I pour a bunch of time into this site, I'd like to get the your
> opinions on whether this is needed/wanted and what other kinds of
> features you'd like to see. Of course, I have two project pins to work
> on before I have enough spare time to devote to it, but I'm willing to
> put the time in if there's enough interest.
>

> Thanks!
>
> -Jonathan

There is this one http://www.pldb.org/ and others. Usually they die a slow
death. Not sure if anyone cares. LTG :)

"Salty" <salty_sohal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've been thinking about building a site that people/operators can sign
> up to and list the locations of pins locally. Hopefully, this would
> allow people to be able to play machines they wouldn't otherwise know
> about, or find somewhere to play when they're out of town. Of course
> the added benefit is that the operators' machines make a few extra
> bucks and we can all help to keep pinball alive. (If the routes don't
> make money, then we all lose!)
>
> Features that I'm thinking of including would be:
>
> -Free, community maintained
> -Location by miles from zipcode
> -Condition of the pin
> -Current High Scores (maybe)
> -Match making - Let me people leave messages that they will be at a pin
> at a specific time in case you're feeling competetive.
>
> Before I pour a bunch of time into this site, I'd like to get the your
> opinions on whether this is needed/wanted and what other kinds of
> features you'd like to see. Of course, I have two project pins to work
> on before I have enough spare time to devote to it, but I'm willing to
> put the time in if there's enough interest.
>

> Thanks!
>
> -Jonathan

Already done at

http://www.pinballrebel.com/locator/index.php

future improvements including search by zip code are coming.

--
Ken In Texas
http://www.pinballrebel.com

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas.
If he is, he'll tell you on his own.
If he ain't, no need to embarrass him."

In article <1118893941.732980.84830@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Salty <salty_sohal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I've been thinking about building a site that people/operators can sign
>up to and list the locations of pins locally. Hopefully, this would
>allow people to be able to play machines they wouldn't otherwise know
>about, or find somewhere to play when they're out of town. Of course
>the added benefit is that the operators' machines make a few extra
>bucks and we can all help to keep pinball alive. (If the routes don't
>make money, then we all lose!)

The industry is already trying to do this through barcade.com, but I
don't hear as much buzz as I would have expected. They don't have all
the features you proposed, though. I think you should look at barcade
and decide whether you can and want to help them.
--
.................David Marston at MV