Boot to DOS...

Is there any way to boot to dos ONLY without booting from a floppy when
starting up a workstation installed with WinXP?

Thanx.
18 answers Last reply
More about boot

    MS-Dos is an entirly different product, and is not installed by windows.
    however Windows allows you to work via command line. which is similar to dos
    type os's

    i am assuming you want to boot to command line.

    there is no simple way just to boot to windows command line seperate from
    windows.
    you can however press 'F8' upon computer boot up and go into 'safe mode with
    command prompt'

    if you really want a dos os, you can try to find one online and do the dual
    loader thing as stated in one of the replys

    "Steven Sinclair" wrote:

    > Is there any way to boot to dos ONLY without booting from a floppy when
    > starting up a workstation installed with WinXP?
    >
    > Thanx.

    Windows XP is not based on MS-DOS, therefore there is no
    MS-DOS to boot into.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Steven Sinclair" wrote:

    | Is there any way to boot to dos ONLY without booting from a floppy when
    | starting up a workstation installed with WinXP?
    |
    | Thanx.

    How to Multiple Boot Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows 95,
    Windows 98, Windows Me, and MS-DOS
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q217210

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:1D556799-3C0E-4AC6-BA4A-BCF30383CD5E@microsoft.com,
    Steven Sinclair <StevenSinclair@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    pecked:

    Steven Sinclair wrote:
    > Is there any way to boot to dos ONLY without booting from a floppy when
    > starting up a workstation installed with WinXP?
    >
    > Thanx.

    No, there's no way to reboot a WinXP PC into Real Mode DOS unless
    you've set up a dual-boot system. The WinNT family of 32-bit graphical
    operating systems, of which WinXP is the latest generation, has never
    used, included, or "ridden upon" MS-DOS.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Wouldn't 2003 Server be the latest in the NT line, as it is
    6.0 as opposed to XPs 5.1?

    : Steven Sinclair wrote:
    : > Is there any way to boot to dos ONLY without booting
    from a floppy when
    : > starting up a workstation installed with WinXP?
    : >
    : > Thanx.
    :
    :
    : No, there's no way to reboot a WinXP PC into Real Mode DOS
    unless
    : you've set up a dual-boot system. The WinNT family of
    32-bit graphical
    : operating systems, of which WinXP is the latest
    generation, has never
    : used, included, or "ridden upon" MS-DOS.
    :
    : --
    :
    : Bruce Chambers
    :
    : Help us help you:
    : http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    : http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    :
    : You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever
    count on having
    : both at once. - RAH

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:33:21 -0700, Steven Sinclair
    <StevenSinclair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Is there any way to boot to dos ONLY without booting from a floppy when
    >starting up a workstation installed with WinXP?

    You might be able to get

    http://www.bcpl.net/~dbryan/ntfs-dual-boot.html

    to work. (XP=NT 5.1)

    (Note - the DOS in WinME, which is found on boot floppies made with
    WinXP, can read FAT32.)

    Ooops...

    Forgot to mention I have no access to a floppy drive on this notebook
    computer.

    8^)>

    So, how would I accomplish a "fresh" OS install, without a floppy if there's
    no way to boot to DOS on this machine?

    Thanx.

    In news:CD975A37-112C-43A8-AE7E-E00F19E2AE09@microsoft.com,
    Steven Sinclair <StevenSinclair@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Forgot to mention I have no access to a floppy drive on this
    > notebook
    > computer.
    >
    > So, how would I accomplish a "fresh" OS install, without a
    > floppy if
    > there's no way to boot to DOS on this machine?

    You don't need, and shouldn't use, a floppy even if you had a
    floppy drive.

    Just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if
    necessary to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean
    installation (delete the existing partition by pressing "D" when
    prompted, then create a new one).
    You can find detailed instructions here:

    or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

    or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

    However why do you want to reformat and reinstall? In my view,
    it's usually a mistake. With a modicum of care, it should never
    be necessary to reinstall Windows (XP or any other version). I've
    run Windows 3.0, 3.1, WFWG 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows
    2000, and Windows XP, each for the period of time before the next
    version came out, and each on two machines here. I never
    reinstalled any of them, and I have never had anything more than
    an occasional minor problem.

    It's my belief that this mistaken notion stems from the technical
    support people at many of the larger OEMs. Their solution to
    almost any problem they don't quickly know the answer to is
    "reformat and reinstall." That's the perfect solution for them.
    It gets you off the phone quickly, it almost always works, and it
    doesn't require them to do any real troubleshooting (a skill that
    most of them obviously don't possess in any great degree).

    But it leaves you with all the work and all the problems. You
    have to restore all your data backups, you have to reinstall all
    your programs, you have to reinstall all the Windows and
    application updates,you have to locate and install all the needed
    drivers for your system, you have to recustomize Windows and all
    your apps to work the way you're comfortable with.

    Besides all those things being time-consuming and troublesome,
    you may have trouble with some of them: can you find all your
    application CDs? Can you find all the needed installation codes?
    Do you have data backups to restore? Do you even remember all the
    customizations and tweaks you may have installed to make
    everything work the way you like?

    Occasionally there are problems that are so difficult to solve
    that Windows should be reinstalled cleanly. But they are few and
    far between; reinstallation should not be a substitute for
    troubleshooting; it should be a last resort, to be done only
    after all other attempts at troubleshooting by a qualified person
    have failed.

    If you have problems, post them here; it's likely that someone
    can help you and a reinstallation won't be required.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Steven Sinclair wrote:
    > Ooops...
    >
    > Forgot to mention I have no access to a floppy drive on this notebook
    > computer.
    >
    > 8^)>
    >
    > So, how would I accomplish a "fresh" OS install, without a floppy if there's
    > no way to boot to DOS on this machine?
    >
    > Thanx.

    A boot diskette is a thing of the past, as all legitimate WinXP
    installation CDs are already bootable.

    After having backed up or otherwise safe-guarded/preserved any
    important data files, simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll
    be offered the opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as
    part of the installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order
    of boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

    HOW TO Install Windows XP

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Steven Sinclair <StevenSinclair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    |>Is there any way to boot to dos ONLY without booting from a floppy when
    |>starting up a workstation installed with WinXP?

    Can you boot from a USB jump drive?

    If so format with http://tinyurl.com/6zheh and install Win98se boot
    disk (www.botdisk.com) or dos or whatever. Works for me.

    Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov wrote:

    |>If so format with http://tinyurl.com/6zheh and install Win98se boot
    |>disk (www.botdisk.com) or dos or whatever. Works for me.

    Woops www.bootdisk.com of course. Just format with the driver and
    extract the DOS OS of your choice to the USB device.

    Windows Server 2003 is NT 5.2.

    Windows Vista is spposed to be Windows NT 6.0

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OFwNEZfmFHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Mike Mueller <I_have_one@somewhere.else> hunted and pecked:
    > Wouldn't 2003 Server be the latest in the NT line, as it is
    > 6.0 as opposed to XPs 5.1?
    >
    > "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
    >> Steven Sinclair wrote:
    >>> Is there any way to boot to dos ONLY without booting from a floppy when
    >>> starting up a workstation installed with WinXP?
    >>>
    >>> Thanx.
    >>

    >> No, there's no way to reboot a WinXP PC into Real Mode DOS unless
    >> you've set up a dual-boot system. The WinNT family of 32-bit graphical
    >> operating systems, of which WinXP is the latest generation, has never
    >> used, included, or "ridden upon" MS-DOS.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Bruce Chambers
    >>
    >> Help us help you:
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>
    >> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    >> both at once. - RAH

    Boot from the WindowsXP CD

    --
    Uncle John
    ">

    "Steven Sinclair" <StevenSinclair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:1D556799-3C0E-4AC6-BA4A-BCF30383CD5E@microsoft.com...
    > Is there any way to boot to dos ONLY without booting from a floppy when
    > starting up a workstation installed with WinXP?
    >
    > Thanx

    There is no DOS but there is Safe Mode, Command Prompt Only.

    Yes, it's possible to start a system with a floppy boot disk. However, on
    most systems, it's entirely pointless - because DOS cannot deal with NTFS
    formatted disks. Most XP systems with hard disks over 40 gig are formatted
    NTFS. IIRC, the XP format utility can't format larger disks FATxx, only
    NTFS. To format larger disks as FATxx, you need a win9x or 3rd party
    format utility.

    If you boot from a DOS or Win9x boot diskette, an NTFS hard disk will not be
    accessible.

    If you absolutely need to run DOS on an XP system, you often need to wipe
    the system, create multiple paritions with the base partition FAT32, install
    DOS (or win9x) and then install XP. There are various boot managers that
    can help with this.

    HTH
    -pk

    In news:eOWIe.31879$pH4.1184201@news20.bellglobal.com,
    Patrick Keenan <test@dev.null> typed:

    > "Steven Sinclair" <StevenSinclair@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in
    > message
    >> Is there any way to boot to dos ONLY without booting from a
    >> floppy
    >> when starting up a workstation installed with WinXP?
    >>
    >> Thanx
    >
    > There is no DOS but there is Safe Mode, Command Prompt Only.
    >
    > Yes, it's possible to start a system with a floppy boot disk.
    > However, on most systems, it's entirely pointless - because DOS
    > cannot deal with NTFS formatted disks.

    What you say is mostly true. However, it should be noted that
    there is third-party software that can be run from a DOS boot
    diskette which adds NTFS support. NTFSDOS is the best-known such
    program, but there may be others.

    > Most XP systems with hard
    > disks over 40 gig are formatted NTFS.

    And many under 40GB, too.

    > IIRC, the XP format utility
    > can't format larger disks FATxx, only NTFS.

    Yes, you remember correctly. XP can't create a FAT32 drive larger
    than 32GB, but it will happily use one if created externally.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:33:21 -0700, Steven Sinclair

    >Is there any way to boot to dos ONLY without booting from a floppy when
    >starting up a workstation installed with WinXP?

    Yes, if you were to instrall a DOS or Win9x DOS mode as a "dual boot"
    option - given that XP is NT, and NT contains no DOS or DOS mode.

    However, this is not possible if the file system on the boot volume C:
    is not one that the DOS mode can read. No DOS or DOS mode can boot
    off, run on, or natively read/write NTFS; onlt Win95 SR2 and later can
    manage FAT32. Also, no DOS or DOS mode can "see" Long File Names
    natively, and whereas a Win9x DOS mode will halt the system to
    protrect LFNs, MS-DOS will just go right ahead and mess them up.

    Note also that various verisons of DOS and DOS mode may have limits on
    maximum hard drive capacity. The Win9x DOS modes are OK up to 137G

    Retro-fitting a DOS or DOS mode to an existing NT installation may or
    may not be possible, given the above caveats, but can lose your access
    to NT bootability if you are not very careful indeed. That's because
    the process of installing the DOS system files and bootability via the
    Sys command also overwrites the partition boot loader.

    Being able to natively dual-boot a DOS mode vs. NT relies on the
    partition boot code loading the NT's \NTLDR, which then processes
    \Boot.ini to offer you the choice of OS. To load the DOS mode, an
    appropriate partition boot sector image has to be found as a file, and
    by "appropriate" I mean both the OS-appropriate code, and the
    appropriate hard drive volume geometry settings unique to your PC.

    So while Sys will get your DOS mode booting OK, it also bypasses
    \NTLDR to load the DOS mode directly. That means no more NT, until
    you fix the situation, either manually, or via (say) Recovery Console.

    >--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
    Tech Support: The guys who follow the
    'Parade of New Products' with a shovel.

    "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
    message news:vn2cf1dvtsg7qr3il5atr0210jsut5su9s@4ax.com...
    > On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:33:21 -0700, Steven Sinclair
    >
    >>Is there any way to boot to dos ONLY without booting from a floppy when
    >>starting up a workstation installed with WinXP?
    >
    > Yes, if you were to instrall a DOS or Win9x DOS mode as a "dual boot"
    > option - given that XP is NT, and NT contains no DOS or DOS mode.
    >
    > However, this is not possible if the file system on the boot volume C:
    > is not one that the DOS mode can read. No DOS or DOS mode can boot
    > off, run on, or natively read/write NTFS; onlt Win95 SR2 and later can
    > manage FAT32. Also, no DOS or DOS mode can "see" Long File Names
    > natively, and whereas a Win9x DOS mode will halt the system to
    > protrect LFNs, MS-DOS will just go right ahead and mess them up.

    Wouldn't "onlt Win95 SR2 and later can manage FAT32." be clearer written as
    "only Dos from Win95 SR2 and later can manage FAT32."?

    snipped
    --
    Ron Sommer

    On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 13:13:19 -0600, Bruce Chambers

    > A boot diskette is a thing of the past, as all legitimate WinXP
    >installation CDs are already bootable.

    Yes, but that isn't much use if you want to do anything other than run
    the Recovery Console or re-install the OS.

    There's a LOT more to maintenance, formal malware management, data
    recovery and crisis intervention than that :-)

    See http://cquirke.mvps.org/whatmos.htm

    Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

DOS Floppy Disk Workstations Microsoft Boot Windows XP