Need a good all-in-one scanner

jkdmoc

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Looking for a fast and efficient (small file size for resulting document) scanner--preferably an all-in-one machine. Problem is my Lexmark X7675 scans a 10 page text document in as a 3-4+ MB file. I tried an HP Officejet J4580 and it made the same 10-page document over 10MB. Is that typical for a scanned pdf file size? Any recommendations on a better, fast, small file size scanner?
thanks.... Jim

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
In any printer, before executing the scan order you can choose the format with which the document will be scanned.

You can also set those options as default, if you want all the scanned documents to be like this.

About the HP J4580, this is exactly the printer that I want to buy now, if you can give a little bit of user experience with it, is is comfortable to use?

jkdmoc

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
thanks for the info. I'm picking the lowest resolution and still getting huge files. regarding the HP J4580, we owned it only for a week and took it back because the scan function generated the ridiculously huge files. j

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
When I said format, I meant to JPEG, GIF etc. Try playing with this option and check out if the outcome is different, it will probably be.

Another option that you can change is the "ppi", I'm not sore exactly what it means, but I think it have to do with the amount of pixels. If it doesn't change anything dramatically, but the size yes, so there you have.

Thanks about the HP