Sign in with
Your question

can a system temp be too low?

Last response: in CPUs
January 30, 2003 2:29:31 PM

I am at university in scotland and you won't be surprised to learn that it gets pretty cold here.This causes my computer to run pretty cold at times.I have really good airflow in my case because i have an 80mm fan modded into two 5 1/4" and an exhaust fan at the back.
In case you are wondering, it isn't a low spec computer either:
xp 2400 oc'd @ 166X12.5 i.e. 2600 speed
abit nf7-s nforce 2 mobo
2X 256mb Twinmos pc2700 cas2
radeon 9500 pro
At the moment the system temperature is 15C.
Is there such a thing as too cold?

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

More about : system temp low

January 30, 2003 3:09:26 PM

15C is fine, i know hard drives don't like to run in cold temps, but 15C is not outrageous
can you not get your 2400+ fsb higher with a lower mult? those temps should help you
the 2400s were supposed to be good overclockers i thought

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&..." target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>
January 30, 2003 3:17:11 PM

yeah.i'm sure i could go higher on the 2400 but i am happy with it at the moment.my first priority was to get it to a 166fsb and then i thought i might as well make it a 2600.It usually runs at about 46C idle but is at 42C in the cold.I have it at 1.7Vcore.I may go further soon.

Related resources
January 30, 2003 3:17:12 PM

yeah.i'm sure i could go higher on the 2400 but i am happy with it at the moment.my first priority was to get it to a 166fsb and then i thought i might as well make it a 2600.It usually runs at about 46C idle but is at 42C in the cold.I have it at 1.7Vcore.I may go further soon.

January 30, 2003 5:46:01 PM

your temp readings on your motherboard are prob just whacked out....no amd chip will run that cool unless its thermo cooled
January 30, 2003 6:04:07 PM

no that is my mobo temp.my cpu temp is 42C

January 31, 2003 3:29:45 AM

The only thing you may watch for while cooling that low is the temperature variations when running at idle and full load. If you get too much variation....say running 15C at idle, and 54C at full load, then you get too much variation, and this will shorten the life of the CPU.

This post is guaranteed fresh for up to 7 days after the date printed on the box.
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2003 5:07:07 AM

Easy answers, no it can't be too cold, and no, that's not a proper reading.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 31, 2003 8:25:07 AM

just checked it now with a proper thermometer in the case.it is 18c around mobo at moment and cpu temp is still about 42c.it is very cold in here and i have all the cold air blowing in the front of my case.

January 31, 2003 9:49:45 AM

yeah.i do it sometimes but this thread has become a bit like chinese whispers. :smile:

January 31, 2003 10:16:54 AM

mmmmmmmmmm wish my rig ran that cool.
cool is good.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>
January 31, 2003 10:23:37 AM

believe me you don't.it only runs that cool coz it's f**kin freezing in this room! :frown:
It has gone up to 20C now but that is because i have just oc'd my 2400 even further to 2800 speeds. :smile:

January 31, 2003 2:58:42 PM

Quote:
it is 18c around mobo at moment and cpu temp is still about 42c.

I believe it does not measure ambient temp but chipset's (NForce2). If your ambient temp ~18C, then it <b>could not</b> be 15C for your system. What monitoring software do you use? I have KG7-RAID, and I have 2 system temp in MBM5, 1 is ~18C when another ~29C. I use the latter because it's corresponding to another software (VIA Hardware monitor).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
January 31, 2003 9:46:31 PM

i believe you.. cold is good (except for the operator)

the only problems i can see is possible condenstion issues or greater than normal power draw on startup (due to cold hard drives & fans ETC).

but if the air is freely circulating condensation wont be an issue as the humidity is self regulating

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>
February 1, 2003 3:16:20 AM

for the guy who said AMD can't run at 15C, I give you this...

I had my t-bird 1gz at 1400 at 12C, I ducted a window AC unit into the back of my case, constant AC'd air flowing into an intake fan in the rear, blowing across the Heatsink fan, condensation was nill and the cpu was at 12C under full load. Of course it was a waste of electricity. Dunno if you consider that thermo cooling or not.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."
February 1, 2003 9:03:27 AM

Of course a really pedantic answer is: Yes, at 0K all the particles in your system will stop moving. Thats just TOO darn cool.
!