display problem: 2001FP or graphics card or driver?

I have some display problems with my rather new (2-month-old) Dell
2001FP display, at normal full resolution of 1600 x 12000 and 32-bit
color, with the latest Dell monitor driver:

From time to time, and typically after the system has been running a
while, on dark blue or other dark areas I'll see intermittent thin
(pixel-wide?) vertical or horizontal lines; or moire-like small zig-zap
patterns on a region that's a gray tone; and sometimes (mostly after a
reboot to try to cure the problem) series of light parallel lines
inclined a bit from the horizontal.

Some days many hours of work will go by without experiencing this.

I'm using a genuine ATI Radeon 9800XT graphics adapter in my home-built
(i.e., not-Dell) system, with the latest drivers from ATI.

Have you experienced such a problem?

Is it likely to be the LCD or the graphics card -- or something else?

--
Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.

snip
>display problems with my rather new (2-month-old) Dell
> 2001FP display
end snip

I experienced similar problems and "sparkles". They are described in a
column
on the PC Tech site (that I can't locate now) that noted they only
occurred with the DVI connector from ATI boards, and not
with the analog connector or NVidia boards.
I switched to a cheap NVidia board and the problems went away.

Bill

"Murray Eisenberg" <murray@math.umass.edu> wrote in message
> I have some display problems with my rather new (2-month-old) Dell
> 2001FP display, at normal full resolution of 1600 x 12000 and 32-bit
> color, with the latest Dell monitor driver:
>
> From time to time, and typically after the system has been running a
> while, on dark blue or other dark areas I'll see intermittent thin
> (pixel-wide?) vertical or horizontal lines; or moire-like small zig-zap
> patterns on a region that's a gray tone; and sometimes (mostly after a
> reboot to try to cure the problem) series of light parallel lines
> inclined a bit from the horizontal.
>
> Some days many hours of work will go by without experiencing this.
>
> I'm using a genuine ATI Radeon 9800XT graphics adapter in my home-built
> (i.e., not-Dell) system, with the latest drivers from ATI.
>
> Have you experienced such a problem?
>
> Is it likely to be the LCD or the graphics card -- or something else?
>
> --
> Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
> Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
> Lederle Graduate Research Tower phone 413 549-1020 (H)
> University of Massachusetts 413 545-2859 (W)
> 710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
> Amherst, MA 01003-9305

Tech assistance (essentially automated, unfortunately) from ATI suggests
it's a software problem!

--
Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts 413 545-2859 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305

Ed

I had the same problem and solved it. I'm not sure exactly how at this
point cause it was awhile ago.

Try this. Goto the advanced options in the display settings and on the
options tab, there is a button to turn on, that says, " Reduce DVI frequency
on high resolution displays" Try that.

I also think i might have started having the problem when I installed the
updated drivers from ATI, but now I use the older drivers from the packaged
CD that came with my 7500. Its hard to force the drivers to what you want,
cause XP automatically installs drivers when they are required without
asking. I found the way to do it, is disconnect your internet connection,
rename all files that are on the computer that look like ati driver files,
then restart and you can install from the CD-Rom. Hope any of this helps.
There is a solution. May take time to find it. Make sure you are really
running the ATI drivers and not the default windows drivers by going to the
display settings advanced dialog. You should have about a dozen tabs with
ATI symbols on each. If you don't, you are still running default XP
drivers. If so, try what I wrote above.

Let us know how you make out.
Ed

"Murray Eisenberg" <murray@math.umass.edu> wrote in message
> I have some display problems with my rather new (2-month-old) Dell
> 2001FP display, at normal full resolution of 1600 x 12000 and 32-bit
> color, with the latest Dell monitor driver:
>
> From time to time, and typically after the system has been running a
> while, on dark blue or other dark areas I'll see intermittent thin
> (pixel-wide?) vertical or horizontal lines; or moire-like small zig-zap
> patterns on a region that's a gray tone; and sometimes (mostly after a
> reboot to try to cure the problem) series of light parallel lines
> inclined a bit from the horizontal.
>
> Some days many hours of work will go by without experiencing this.
>
> I'm using a genuine ATI Radeon 9800XT graphics adapter in my home-built
> (i.e., not-Dell) system, with the latest drivers from ATI.
>
> Have you experienced such a problem?
>
> Is it likely to be the LCD or the graphics card -- or something else?
>
> --
> Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
> Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
> Lederle Graduate Research Tower phone 413 549-1020 (H)
> University of Massachusetts 413 545-2859 (W)
> 710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
> Amherst, MA 01003-9305

I have had exactly the same display problem with the Dell 2001fp and a
Radeon 9600 Pro as Murray perfectly describes. I will try Ed's solution
and let you know the outcome. Thanks to all - I was getting worried that I
had bought a faulty monitor!