Sign in with
Your question

i need a burnt Out P4 478

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 30, 2003 6:46:00 PM

Hey guys,

This may sound a really stupid question, but i need a burnt out Pentium 4 chip, socket 478. It must not work when it goes into a machine.

Ideally one that has been overclocked and fried. It would be nice to have scorch marks on it. (but they need to be natural and not added by blow torch) I am willing to pay a small fee, as well as postage charges.

Any one got anything they have pushed too far.My email is aphix@nuvio.co.uk if you have anything you can offer me

Thanks
Rob

More about : burnt 478

January 30, 2003 7:51:20 PM

I'd definately head over to eBay and go into the Pentium 4 section and search for one there.
January 30, 2003 8:47:39 PM

Good plan batman,

But their isnt anything thats of any use.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2003 5:23:48 AM

Good luck. The only way to toast one of those things is to either shock it with a sudden burst of high voltage, or fry it externally with a heater. They can't self destruct unless their defective, no matter how hard you try. Defective units are covered by warranty. There was a website who sealed the airhole and blew the heat spreader off one, which shattered the die upon impact, but I don't even think that one got scortched before it simply broke electrical contact.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 31, 2003 9:18:24 AM

i didnt realise that was an airhole on top. Does this not get sealed when you put the heatsink on top?

rob
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2003 2:48:39 PM

Sort of. The integrated heat spreader has a little bit of texture to it. So does the bottom of the heatsink. Between those two, the passage of a very small amount of air is possible. It would normally be able to blow past heatsink paste. But the place that sealed it did so by polishing the "heatsink" and the top of the CPU. It was a refrigerated setup, using an evaporator instead of a heatsink. Anyway, the sever difference in teperatures probably helped to loosen the lid.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 31, 2003 2:57:07 PM

Maybe you could try to get ahold of the guys who do the reviews here at THG. I'm sure they've toasted a P4 before.

"Consiousness of the past alone
can make us understand the present" - Herbert Luethy
January 31, 2003 3:20:29 PM

What do plan to do with it?

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>
!