Opnions please on new XPS Gen 5 & Accessories

The latest price cut makes the Gen 5 XPS interesting.

I'm torn between teh 3.0 Dual Processor and the "regular" 3.2 Dual
Processor.

I run a game or two once in a while, but nothing drastic. I am
interested in the dual processor to enable running Word and a couple of
other business apps more gracefully than a non-dual processor might.

I'm thinking a 10,000 rpm hard drive for the main drive, and a 160 gig
SATA for the second drive. I have a server to which I can offload huge
amounts of data.

The 256 MB PCI express GeForce 6800 seems adequate. I presume it'll work
decently with the current generation of games.

I'm trying to decide whether I want Dell's 20" ultrasharp monitor. In
the past these LCD monitors "ghosted" when playing games...I'm sure that
is not the right term...maybe a better way to say it is that images
persisted longer than they do on a glass tube monitor. Is this still the
casE? This seems a pretty good monitor for the price. Any opinions?

Any caveats?

Thanks!

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

I would put in a regular 3.2 processors, a single 250GB HD, and the best
video card. I wonder when will Dell offer this card for less than $300
dollars, again. I like the 2001 LCD.

"HarryKrause" <harry.krause@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The latest price cut makes the Gen 5 XPS interesting.
>
> I'm torn between teh 3.0 Dual Processor and the "regular" 3.2 Dual
> Processor.
>
> I run a game or two once in a while, but nothing drastic. I am interested
> in the dual processor to enable running Word and a couple of other
> business apps more gracefully than a non-dual processor might.
>
> I'm thinking a 10,000 rpm hard drive for the main drive, and a 160 gig
> SATA for the second drive. I have a server to which I can offload huge
> amounts of data.
>
> The 256 MB PCI express GeForce 6800 seems adequate. I presume it'll work
> decently with the current generation of games.
>
> I'm trying to decide whether I want Dell's 20" ultrasharp monitor. In the
> past these LCD monitors "ghosted" when playing games...I'm sure that is
> not the right term...maybe a better way to say it is that images persisted
> longer than they do on a glass tube monitor. Is this still the casE? This
> seems a pretty good monitor for the price. Any opinions?
>
> Any caveats?
>
> Thanks!

Depending on your expectations, rumors are circulating that the Gen 6
XPS is due very shortly.

From unofficial sources, Dell will break with Intel and offer an nVidia
nForce-based board in the next generation of gaming/high end system.

Edward J. Neth wrote:
> Depending on your expectations, rumors are circulating that the Gen 6
> XPS is due very shortly.
>
> From unofficial sources, Dell will break with Intel and offer an nVidia
> nForce-based board in the next generation of gaming/high end system.

That's very interesting. I think ASUS has such a board out, but...I
don't recall that it supports a "D" processor. And my interest is more
towards high end biz apps, with occasional game use. Still, the big
discounts on the XPS system is nothing at which to sneeze.

I'd go for the faster clock single core system. For the same price, it'll
give you faster performance in most apps, both now and in the near future.
I think it'll be quite a while before software really takes advantage of the
dual cores in a significant way.

Go for the 10K drive. I recently got one, and it's noticeably faster than
the 7.2K.

I also have the GeForce 6800 256 MB. Good bang for the buck.

I am partial to CRTs over LCDs. They don't look as cool, but IMO they give
better overall picture for a cheaper price, and with various different
resolutions. Oh, and they don't "ghost" like LCDs.
--
Charles C. Shyu
http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html

"HarryKrause" <harry.krause@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The latest price cut makes the Gen 5 XPS interesting.
>
> I'm torn between teh 3.0 Dual Processor and the "regular" 3.2 Dual
> Processor.
>
> I run a game or two once in a while, but nothing drastic. I am interested
> in the dual processor to enable running Word and a couple of other
> business apps more gracefully than a non-dual processor might.
>
> I'm thinking a 10,000 rpm hard drive for the main drive, and a 160 gig
> SATA for the second drive. I have a server to which I can offload huge
> amounts of data.
>
> The 256 MB PCI express GeForce 6800 seems adequate. I presume it'll work
> decently with the current generation of games.
>
> I'm trying to decide whether I want Dell's 20" ultrasharp monitor. In the
> past these LCD monitors "ghosted" when playing games...I'm sure that is
> not the right term...maybe a better way to say it is that images persisted
> longer than they do on a glass tube monitor. Is this still the casE? This
> seems a pretty good monitor for the price. Any opinions?
>
> Any caveats?
>
> Thanks!

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 02:23:09 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Charles C.
Shyu" <charles_shyu@nymc.edu> wrote:

>I'd go for the faster clock single core system. For the same price, it'll
>give you faster performance in most apps, both now and in the near future.
>I think it'll be quite a while before software really takes advantage of the
>dual cores in a significant way.

It really depends on how you use your computer.

I picked the 3.2GHz dual-core CPU for my XPS 5, and I love the computer's
ability to do something CPU intensive in the background without bogging down
everything else I do on the computer. (Major improvement over my Dim8100
with a P4 2.6GHz CPU, which was really annoying to use if I had something
major going on in the background while I was trying to do other things.)

If I played a lot of demanding games that needed every bit of CPU speed they
could get, then I'd have gone for a single core CPU with a higher clock
speed. But for what I do, the slightly slower dual-core is better: I don't
mind giving up a small FPS increase in my gaming in order to keep my
computer useable even when I'm doing something demanding in the background.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

"Natural laws have no pity." R.A.H.

Nick wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 02:23:09 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Charles C.
> Shyu" <charles_shyu@nymc.edu> wrote:
>
>> I'd go for the faster clock single core system. For the same price, it'll
>> give you faster performance in most apps, both now and in the near future.
>> I think it'll be quite a while before software really takes advantage of the
>> dual cores in a significant way.
>
> It really depends on how you use your computer.
>
> I picked the 3.2GHz dual-core CPU for my XPS 5, and I love the computer's
> ability to do something CPU intensive in the background without bogging down
> everything else I do on the computer. (Major improvement over my Dim8100
> with a P4 2.6GHz CPU, which was really annoying to use if I had something
> major going on in the background while I was trying to do other things.)
>
> If I played a lot of demanding games that needed every bit of CPU speed they
> could get, then I'd have gone for a single core CPU with a higher clock
> speed. But for what I do, the slightly slower dual-core is better: I don't
> mind giving up a small FPS increase in my gaming in order to keep my
> computer useable even when I'm doing something demanding in the background.

I've been using a "single-core" P4 1.8 for gaming, so I suppose any sort
of 3.0+ dual-core Pentium system will be noticeably faster!

--
If it is Bad for Bush,
It is Good for the United States.

>>I'd go for the faster clock single core system. For the same price, it'll
>>give you faster performance in most apps, both now and in the near future.
>>I think it'll be quite a while before software really takes advantage of
>>the
>>dual cores in a significant way.
>
> It really depends on how you use your computer.
>
> I picked the 3.2GHz dual-core CPU for my XPS 5, and I love the computer's
> ability to do something CPU intensive in the background without bogging
> down
> everything else I do on the computer. (Major improvement over my Dim8100
> with a P4 2.6GHz CPU, which was really annoying to use if I had something
> major going on in the background while I was trying to do other things.)

You're right -- it does depend, but I was just pointing out that for most
people, the situation where a dual core system will outperform a faster
clocked single core system will not come up most of the time. The OP
mentioned occasional games and wanting to run multiple business apps (ie -
Word) -- this is NOT CPU intensive enough to make a dual core system more
responsive. What he'd have to run is a current generation CPU intensive
game WHILE burning a DVD, for example. How often does that happen?
--

Charles C. Shyu wrote:
>>> I'd go for the faster clock single core system. For the same price, it'll
>>> give you faster performance in most apps, both now and in the near future.
>>> I think it'll be quite a while before software really takes advantage of
>>> the
>>> dual cores in a significant way.
>> It really depends on how you use your computer.
>>
>> I picked the 3.2GHz dual-core CPU for my XPS 5, and I love the computer's
>> ability to do something CPU intensive in the background without bogging
>> down
>> everything else I do on the computer. (Major improvement over my Dim8100
>> with a P4 2.6GHz CPU, which was really annoying to use if I had something
>> major going on in the background while I was trying to do other things.)
>
> You're right -- it does depend, but I was just pointing out that for most
> people, the situation where a dual core system will outperform a faster
> clocked single core system will not come up most of the time. The OP
> mentioned occasional games and wanting to run multiple business apps (ie -
> Word) -- this is NOT CPU intensive enough to make a dual core system more
> responsive. What he'd have to run is a current generation CPU intensive
> game WHILE burning a DVD, for example. How often does that happen?

Are there ways to determine which software apps will benefit with a dual
core CPU, or which pairs of apps running simultaneously.

>>> It really depends on how you use your computer.
>>>
>>> I picked the 3.2GHz dual-core CPU for my XPS 5, and I love the
>>> computer's
>>> ability to do something CPU intensive in the background without bogging
>>> down
>>> everything else I do on the computer. (Major improvement over my
>>> Dim8100
>>> with a P4 2.6GHz CPU, which was really annoying to use if I had
>>> something
>>> major going on in the background while I was trying to do other things.)
>>
>> You're right -- it does depend, but I was just pointing out that for most
>> people, the situation where a dual core system will outperform a faster
>> clocked single core system will not come up most of the time. The OP
>> mentioned occasional games and wanting to run multiple business apps
>> (ie - Word) -- this is NOT CPU intensive enough to make a dual core
>> system more responsive. What he'd have to run is a current generation
>> CPU intensive game WHILE burning a DVD, for example. How often does that
>> happen?
>

> Are there ways to determine which software apps will benefit with a dual
> core CPU, or which pairs of apps running simultaneously.

Not sure there is. The OS controls the threads and I'd think that there are
very few mainstream TLP applications out there to maximize dual-core right
now.

One could start with benchmarking using something like SiSoft Sandra to get
some idea of the increased performance I suppose.

Stew

jeff

all curent lcd's are built with a very fast response time so there is no
"ghosting". they are 100% nicer than a bulky energy hog and radiation
throwing off crt. get a dual core processor and be up on technology for
about 4 or 5 years.

-jeff

HarryKrause wrote:
> The latest price cut makes the Gen 5 XPS interesting.

<snip>
> I'm trying to decide whether I want Dell's 20" ultrasharp monitor. In
> the past these LCD monitors "ghosted" when playing games...I'm sure that
> is not the right term...maybe a better way to say it is that images
> persisted longer than they do on a glass tube monitor. Is this still the
> casE? This seems a pretty good monitor for the price. Any opinions?
>
> Any caveats?
>
> Thanks!
0
I just purchased the Gen 5 XPS 3.2 single processor. I do play games
like UT2004 and Halo both on the PC and the Net on my Dimension 8300 3.0
desktop with no problems. I hope the 256 MB PCI express GeForce 6800 is
as good as the ATI. I purchased the 5 XPS because of the great $741
discount.

2-l/2 years ago I purchased the Dell Ultrasharp 20" 1600/1200 2000 LCD.
It is gorgeous, no ghosting and connected to DVI on ATI 128 9800 Pro
Video card. I have never been sorry. I also like the fact that I can
change the resolution to 800/600 on this monitor and I can read better
at this resolution and the games are just as nice and clear as they are
on 1600/1200. Right now on the 8300, I have the following open windows
explorer, double solitaire game, wordperfect, microsoft excel and MS
powerpoint. I can go back and forth to any of them with no problems.

I do a lot of video editing with my Sony DV camcorder and my digital
camera, then making DVD's. Even with a duel processor, I don't believe
I would ever multitask while burning a DVD. I really just want the
faster speed for my Roxio 7.

Don't hesitate to consider the Dell 2001 Ultrasharp and it is supposed
to be better the 2000.

Joan

I'd change the word "all" to "many" as there are still cheap LCD panels out
there. Good ones should be fine.

Tom

Tom Scales wrote:
> I'd change the word "all" to "many" as there are still cheap LCD panels out
> there. Good ones should be fine.
>
> Tom
> "Jeff" <jeffscomp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> all curent lcd's are built with a very fast response time so there is no
>> "ghosting". they are 100% nicer than a bulky energy hog and radiation
>> throwing off crt. get a dual core processor and be up on technology for
>> about 4 or 5 years.
>>

>> -jeff
>> "HarryKrause" <harry.krause@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> The latest price cut makes the Gen 5 XPS interesting.
>>>
>>> I'm torn between teh 3.0 Dual Processor and the "regular" 3.2 Dual
>>> Processor.
>>>
>>> I run a game or two once in a while, but nothing drastic. I am interested
>>> in the dual processor to enable running Word and a couple of other
>>> business apps more gracefully than a non-dual processor might.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking a 10,000 rpm hard drive for the main drive, and a 160 gig
>>> SATA for the second drive. I have a server to which I can offload huge
>>> amounts of data.
>>>
>>> The 256 MB PCI express GeForce 6800 seems adequate. I presume it'll work
>>> decently with the current generation of games.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to decide whether I want Dell's 20" ultrasharp monitor. In the
>>> past these LCD monitors "ghosted" when playing games...I'm sure that is
>>> not the right term...maybe a better way to say it is that images
>>> persisted longer than they do on a glass tube monitor. Is this still the
>>> casE? This seems a pretty good monitor for the price. Any opinions?
>>>
>>> Any caveats?
>>>
>>> Thanks!

After as much "investigation" as I had time for, I decided to go with a
faster "single-core processor" to install on a motherboard that can
handle dual core processors. I'm still shopping for the right monitor
for the new rig. At the moment, I have a perfectly decent Mitsubishi
Diamond Pro 900i glass monitor whose only downside seems to be the
amount of desktop real estate it uses up.

I'm in the market for a good 20" or 19" LCD and have to get my butt to
MicroCenter or somesuch place where I can look at a large number of
monitors to see which is the most appealing.

> After as much "investigation" as I had time for, I decided to go with a
> faster "single-core processor" to install on a motherboard that can handle
> dual core processors. I'm still shopping for the right monitor for the new
> rig. At the moment, I have a perfectly decent Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900i
> glass monitor whose only downside seems to be the amount of desktop real
> estate it uses up.
>
> I'm in the market for a good 20" or 19" LCD and have to get my butt to
> MicroCenter or somesuch place where I can look at a large number of
> monitors to see which is the most appealing.

Samsung 213T

Tom Scales wrote:
> "HarryKrause" <harry.krause@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> After as much "investigation" as I had time for, I decided to go with a
>> faster "single-core processor" to install on a motherboard that can handle
>> dual core processors. I'm still shopping for the right monitor for the new
>> rig. At the moment, I have a perfectly decent Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900i
>> glass monitor whose only downside seems to be the amount of desktop real
>> estate it uses up.
>>
>> I'm in the market for a good 20" or 19" LCD and have to get my butt to
>> MicroCenter or somesuch place where I can look at a large number of
>> monitors to see which is the most appealing.
>
> Samsung 213T

Yes, that's a nice one, as is one of the 19" SONYs a friend has.

> In article <Au5He.6167$Tr6.5739@lakeread02>, user@my.net says...

> And a monitor that is designed for 1600x1200 will look good at 800x600
> because it's a even multiple of the max resolution, but it won't be the
> same quality at 1024x768 or 1152xyyy or other non-multiples of the res.
>
> I've got some really nice 19" LCD units, in the over $600 price range,
> and they don't hold a candle to the CRT units. I've been working with
> CRT's and LCD for a long time and it's easy to see the difference when
> you have them side/side.
>
> --

Then you're not buying good enough LCD panels. In my opinion, the LCD is
light years ahead!

Tom

In article <QW7He.28685$iG6.11610@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
tomtoo@softhome.net says...

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> > In article <Au5He.6167$Tr6.5739@lakeread02>, user@my.net says...
>
> > And a monitor that is designed for 1600x1200 will look good at 800x600
> > because it's a even multiple of the max resolution, but it won't be the
> > same quality at 1024x768 or 1152xyyy or other non-multiples of the res.
> >
> > I've got some really nice 19" LCD units, in the over $600 price range,
> > and they don't hold a candle to the CRT units. I've been working with
> > CRT's and LCD for a long time and it's easy to see the difference when
> > you have them side/side.
> >

> Then you're not buying good enough LCD panels. In my opinion, the LCD is
> light years ahead!

Tom, I consider a $649 Viewsonic or AOC 19" LCD panel to be "good
enough" and when you can spend half of that or less and get a better
quality image in all resolutions in a CRT, then it's not light-years
ahead of CRT's.

I agree, CRT's are old technology, but so is the Telephone and
Automobile and such, but just because you have a nice new technology
like LCD's (which are old in many ways) you don't necessarily have a
better technology - sure, they are good for most users, but not for
Color Matched screens, not for games, not for high-quality image
processing....

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

> In article <QW7He.28685$iG6.11610@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
> tomtoo@softhome.net says...
>>
>> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>> > In article <Au5He.6167$Tr6.5739@lakeread02>, user@my.net says...
>>
>> > And a monitor that is designed for 1600x1200 will look good at 800x600
>> > because it's a even multiple of the max resolution, but it won't be the
>> > same quality at 1024x768 or 1152xyyy or other non-multiples of the res.
>> >
>> > I've got some really nice 19" LCD units, in the over $600 price range,
>> > and they don't hold a candle to the CRT units. I've been working with
>> > CRT's and LCD for a long time and it's easy to see the difference when
>> > you have them side/side.
>> >

>> Then you're not buying good enough LCD panels. In my opinion, the LCD is
>> light years ahead!
>
> Tom, I consider a $649 Viewsonic or AOC 19" LCD panel to be "good
> enough" and when you can spend half of that or less and get a better
> quality image in all resolutions in a CRT, then it's not light-years
> ahead of CRT's.
>
> I agree, CRT's are old technology, but so is the Telephone and
> Automobile and such, but just because you have a nice new technology
> like LCD's (which are old in many ways) you don't necessarily have a
> better technology - sure, they are good for most users, but not for
> Color Matched screens, not for games, not for high-quality image
> processing....

Hmm, I use mine for color matched image processing from my 12 megapixel
Nikon D2X printing to my large format Epson 7600 print at sizes up to 24
inches by 36 (or more) inches.

I believe you're just about 18 months out of date. Good, current LCD panels
are better than you think. $649 doesn't mean anything. I wouldn't consider
one.

Find a Mac group and ask how many photographers are using the cinema
display. You'll be surprised.

No question that CRTs are cheaper.

Tom

TRENDING THREADS