Sign in with
Your question

Desktop Sys. need feedback (AMD v Intel)

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
January 31, 2003 4:08:08 AM

Hey all,

Well I have been looking around/researching for awhile now and I need some info on two possible desktop setups both from:

www.cyberpowerinc.com

AMD base is a:

Xtreme Gamer Platinum Pro (http://www.cyberpowerinc.com/highendsystem/xtremegamerp...)

which I modified a bit:

Aluminum SX1030 SOHO Server Tower Case 425Watt w/MOD "See-Thru Window" & Neon Light
AMD Athlon XP-2600+ 333FSB CD203
ASUS A7N8X nVidia nForce-2 8X AGP w/USB 2.0
1024 MB PC3200 400MHz DDR
(Free upgrade to CORSAIR High Performance Mem w/Heat Spreader)
Thermal Temp LCD Display w/3x Fan Controller
AMD Cert CPU Fan & Heatsink + 3 Extra Case Fans
Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM ATA 100 8MB Special Ed
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 8X AGP 128MB DDR w/TV-OUT & DVI (though I will probably down-grade to save cash)
White SONY 16X DVD-ROM
White 48x16x48x CD-RW EIDE (? Brand)
White SONY CPD-E440 19" FD Trinitron
Creative Labs SB AUDIGY X-GAMER 5.1
*BLACK Creative Labs Inspire 5200 5.1 Subwoofer Speakers System
Microsoft USB Optical Intelli Explorer
MS Windows XP Home
Std. 2 USB Ports + 2 Extra USB Port Connectors

(~$1,980 US)

v

Intel model:

CyberPower Royal Xtreme (http://cyberpowerinc.com/highendsystem/INTEL2.htm)

which I modified a bit:

CoolerMaster ATC-710 SOHO Server Case w/420Watt
Inel P4 2.53 533FSB
Shuttle SIS 648 AS45 Mainboard w/8x AGP 533FSB & USB 2.0 -(their other option is)- MSI 648 MAX-L SIS648 MB w/ATA 133 8x ABP & USB 2.0, LAN
1024 MB PC3200 400MHz DDR (requires KT400)
From standard memory to CORSAIR High Performance Mem w/Heat Spreader
Intel Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink + 3 Extra Case Fans
Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM ATA 100 8MB Special Ed
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 8X AGP 128MB DDR w/TV-OUT & DVI (though I will probably down-grade to save cash)
White SONY 16X DVD-ROM
White 48x16x48x CD-RW EIDE (? Brand)
White SONY CPD-E440 19" FD Trinitron
Creative Labs SB AUDIGY X-GAMER 5.1
*BLACK Creative Labs Inspire 5200 5.1 Subwoofer Speakers System
Microsoft USB Optical Intelli Explorer
MS Windows XP Home

(~1,997 US)

(Note: No I don't take you guys for idiots, I typed out the list as-is on their order form in case you guys wanted to check it out at their site, I tought it would be easier for you if I wrote it all out.)

How will the AMD fair compared to the INTEL system, does one hold an advantage in this case? What about speed, performance, and stability? I will be using it for downloading and uploading on the net as well as games and graphics programs. I dont not know that much about computer hardware so any information concerning the setup would be great. Your opinions on the mobo would be appreciated as well. Please check out the site itself to see what options they allow in the system. Again any knowledge about the above components or any usefull info would be greatly appreciated. I have spent sime time looking all this up, but the knwoldge you guys have is limitless. thx.

P.S. where all should I post this for best results?

peace,
-=i3lue}{orneT=-

<font color=blue>--------------------------------UPDATED--------------------------------
Also, how upgradable will they be? Mobo? What will be options for upgrading to later? What do I need to be carefull about as far as putting myself into a system that won't upgrade well/what sould I watch out for? Why?

thx for all the help.

--------------------------------
Creative Labs SB Audigy-2 6.1 on a 5.1 speaker set, would it be worth it/still work well? For the cyberpower setups I have listed above its a $25 US upgrade to the Audigy-2.
ethernet..need ethernet opts on mobo? easy to install myself lyater?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BlueHornet on 02/03/03 09:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : desktop sys feedback amd intel

January 31, 2003 4:52:22 AM

They are both good systems but the AMD system you have there will easily be faster than the intel system you have there. I would strongly suggest the AMD system.
AREA_51
January 31, 2003 4:54:22 AM

Though on second thoughts I would recommend getting parts the same as you have there for the AMD system and building it yourself. It will be cheaper for the exact same thing. Plus you learn a bit more.
AREA_51
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2003 5:10:09 AM

I'm a system builder, I warranty my work, buy the same settup from me instead. I need the money. And at those prices, I'd be making quite a bit!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 31, 2003 10:33:41 PM

lol, yeah thats funny, sure you go ahead and build. Seriously though, how do the setups look, I have little comp hardware knowledge and a detail review of the two options would be great...thx.

peace,
-=i3lue}{orneT=-
February 1, 2003 12:49:25 AM

From those two setups, the athlon would easily be faster.
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2003 1:15:45 AM

Both are killer, the Athlon might be a tiny amount faster. Also, I've heard complaints about the MSI 648 based board. I'd recommend the Gigabyte but it's not on the list. Besides, the Athlong solution is cool enough. But it would be a hell of a lot cooler if I built it.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
February 1, 2003 3:54:55 PM

no offense crash I'm weary about that (some else building), hell I'm weary about ordering from cyberpower, though I really dont have the option of building it myself. The Gigabyte board, as I understand it, only supports up to 4x AGP, which, I'd rather have 8x...other than that I agree the Giagbyte board is a good option. I'll look into the MSI I board...thx.

peace,
-=i3lue}{orneT=-
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2003 7:22:50 PM

No, the Gigabyte board I was refering to was the 8SG667, and it's newer version, the 8SG800. Uses the same chipset as that 648 Max, the SiS 648. And it's known to be the most stable 648 board when using AGP8x or PC3200.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>
February 2, 2003 5:25:16 PM

Ohh ok, wasn't aware, yeah you're right, they dont have any newer Gigabyte board as an option. But even if it did, is the Athlon still a worthy competitor in every respect? For some reason I'm affraid to go Athlon as the P4 would be 2.53 GHz...would the Athlon 2600+ be considered in that Ghz range? thx.

peace,
-=<font color=blue>i3lue}{orneT</font color=blue>=-
February 2, 2003 11:04:27 PM

AXP 2600+ (333 MHz FSB) is faster than P4 2.53 GHz + DDR by a good margin.

<b> "You can put lipstick on a pig, but hey, it's still a pig!" - RobD </b>
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2003 12:54:14 AM

The 2600+ is a tiny amount higher in overall performance than the 2.53. Spitfire lied, er, exhagerated the difference.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>
February 4, 2003 2:47:03 AM

what about in the future with software that requires over 2ghz to run, would the Athlon 2600 be considered running at 2.6 or so? thx.

peace,
a b à CPUs
February 4, 2003 4:02:34 AM

LOL, that's pretty funny in retrospect. I've had programs that wouldn't run on a K6-2 400 because they had a CPU check that "required a Pentium 75MHz processor or faster" and detected the K6-2 as a 486!

I don't think you'll see too many things written so sloppily in that regard. Such programs that need a 2GHz CPU will probably run on everything from a PIII 700 to a top end Athlon or P4, just at different speeds.

February 6, 2003 2:11:10 AM

thx Crash, good nfo.

peace,
!