Registry cleaners

Are registry cleaners a good thing? As with anything there is usually a
price to pay for a service. I see the problem of the registry looking for
lost, deleted or moved files but if my install is sound and not much of
anything changed or moved, is it a safe thing to be doing on a regular
basis? If all is good with reg cleaners, can you recommend some good ones?

Bart
7 answers Last reply
More about registry cleaners

    In news:11f7dob5vov3403@corp.supernews.com,
    Bart <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> typed:

    > Are registry cleaners a good thing? As with anything there is
    > usually a price to pay for a service. I see the problem of the
    > registry looking for lost, deleted or moved files but if my
    > install
    > is sound and not much of anything changed or moved, is it a
    > safe
    > thing to be doing on a regular basis? If all is good with reg
    > cleaners, can you recommend some good ones?

    In my view, no. I recommend against all registry cleaners. They
    are not needed and are far more likely to cause a problem than to
    solve one.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message

    > Are registry cleaners a good thing? As with anything there is usually a
    > price to pay for a service. I see the problem of the registry looking for
    > lost, deleted or moved files but if my install is sound and not much of
    > anything changed or moved, is it a safe thing to be doing on a regular
    > basis? If all is good with reg cleaners, can you recommend some good
    > ones?
    >
    > Bart

    I don't recommend any. I've had to fix a lot of computers after people have
    used those things. The problem is that unless you're absolutely sure you
    know what you're deleting from the registry, you shouldn't do it. And if you
    know what you're doing and what you want to delete, you don't need a
    registry cleaner to do it for you.

    Bart wrote:

    > Are registry cleaners a good thing?

    As a general rule, no. In fact, they're just the opposite. (Although
    a very few decent registry cleaners, when used properly by an
    experienced and knowledgeable technician, can be time savers.)

    > As with anything there is usually a
    > price to pay for a service. I see the problem of the registry looking for
    > lost, deleted or moved files but if my install is sound and not much of
    > anything changed or moved, is it a safe thing to be doing on a regular
    > basis? If all is good with reg cleaners, can you recommend some good ones?

    What specific problem are you experiencing that you *know* beyond
    all reasonable doubt will be fixed by using a registry cleaner? If you
    do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would be far better
    to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the specific key(s)
    and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. Why use a shotgun when a
    scalpel will do the job? Additionally, the manually changing of one or
    two registry entries is far less likely to have the dire consequences of
    allowing an automated product to make multiple changes simultaneously.

    The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
    the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
    device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
    registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
    loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
    confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
    each and every change. Having seen the results of inexperienced people
    using automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
    experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
    Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
    of the inexperienced user.

    The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
    and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
    your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
    experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
    no matter how safe they claim to be.

    Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
    use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
    inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
    no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
    products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
    or stability.

    I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
    far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I strongly
    encourage others to acquire the knowledge, as well.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Thank you all for the quick response. I suspected that the answer would be
    what the general consensus is telling me. I was always a nuts and bolts guy
    back in the Dos days and again with Win 3.1, Win 95, Win98, and Win ME.
    However I did use a cleaner which gave me a "undoer" when I had ME. I never
    found any change in performance or fewer glitches after using it. I have
    edited the registry from time to time manually to resolve minor problems and
    then only with explicit step by step directions. I will shun the cleaners
    in favor of careful manual adjustments if needed. Thanks!

    Bart

    In news:11f7u5h8gact2cf@corp.supernews.com,
    Bart <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> typed:

    > Thank you all for the quick response. I suspected that the
    > answer
    > would be what the general consensus is telling me. I was
    > always a
    > nuts and bolts guy back in the Dos days and again with Win 3.1,
    > Win
    > 95, Win98, and Win ME. However I did use a cleaner which gave
    > me a
    > "undoer" when I had ME. I never found any change in
    > performance or
    > fewer glitches after using it. I have edited the registry from
    > time
    > to time manually to resolve minor problems and then only with
    > explicit step by step directions. I will shun the cleaners in
    > favor
    > of careful manual adjustments if needed. Thanks!

    You're welcome. Glad to help.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    >> In news:11f7dob5vov3403@corp.supernews.com,
    >> Bart <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> typed:
    >>
    >>> Are registry cleaners a good thing? As with anything there
    >>> is
    >>> usually a price to pay for a service. I see the problem of
    >>> the
    >>> registry looking for lost, deleted or moved files but if my
    >>> install
    >>> is sound and not much of anything changed or moved, is it a
    >>> safe
    >>> thing to be doing on a regular basis? If all is good with
    >>> reg
    >>> cleaners, can you recommend some good ones?
    >>

    >> In my view, no. I recommend against all registry cleaners.
    >> They are
    >> not needed and are far more likely to cause a problem than to
    >> solve
    >> one. --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

    Well, actually....

    Registry cleaners do work and I've found JV16
    in particular to be extremely helpful for cleanups
    and removing annoying apps that won't uninstall
    properly.
    http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware
    http://www.jv16.org

    Just be sure to backup your registry beforehand
    if you're hazy about what you're doing:
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt

    -BC

    In news:1123291797.761879.256370@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
    BC <callmebc@gmail.com> typed:

    > Well, actually....
    >
    > Registry cleaners do work

    Yes, they often do.

    However, the problems with them are two:

    1. The things they clean generally don't need to be cleaned.
    There's no real disadvantage to having unused registry entries.

    2. They sometimes erroneously remove registry entries that are
    needed.

    That's why I say "They are not needed and are far more likely to
    cause a problem than to solve one."

    > and I've found JV16
    > in particular to be extremely helpful for cleanups
    > and removing annoying apps that won't uninstall
    > properly.
    > http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware
    > http://www.jv16.org
    >
    > Just be sure to backup your registry beforehand

    Absolutely. If you insist on using a registry cleaner, it's
    foolhardy to use it without first backing up the registry.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

Registry Microsoft Windows XP