Hard Drives - 2xPhysical = 1xVirtual

My new Dell 9100 has two 160GB hard drives, but WIndows sees only one
at 295GB.

I specifically ordered two for backup / imaging.

How do I get WIndows to recognises them separately?

Thanks.

"Tom Baldwin" <tomba_nospam_@pobox.com> wrote in message
> My new Dell 9100 has two 160GB hard drives, but WIndows sees only one
> at 295GB.
>
> I specifically ordered two for backup / imaging.
>
> How do I get WIndows to recognises them separately?
>
> Thanks.

There were two ways to order your configuration. One was Mirrored and one
was Spanned (also called Performance). Either you ordered or they
mistakenly shipped it as spanned.

You can change it, but you'll have to back up the entire machine and
reinstall everything including XP.

Tom

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:30:00 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>"Tom Baldwin" <tomba_nospam_@pobox.com> wrote in message
>> My new Dell 9100 has two 160GB hard drives, but WIndows sees only one
>> at 295GB.
>>
>> I specifically ordered two for backup / imaging.
>>
>> How do I get WIndows to recognises them separately?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>There were two ways to order your configuration. One was Mirrored and one
>was Spanned (also called Performance). Either you ordered or they
>mistakenly shipped it as spanned.
Dell (France) did not give me an option...

>You can change it, but you'll have to back up the entire machine and
>reinstall everything including XP.
>
>Tom
Thanks for responding, Tom. I've only installed one application so
back-up isn't a problem. I've cut an XP reinstall CD in preparation
for the inevitable, but how to get to separate drives? Hank, above,
tells me to go to Disk Management. I found it via Help, but it looks
way over my head.

I booted the reinstall CD. The recovery Console just sees the combined
C: "array". I rebooted the CD and started the XP install. I got to the
point where he tells me:
-: Partition 1 FAT 63MB
C: Partition 2 NTFS 302184MB
F: Partition 3 FAT32 2918MB
....and invited me to choose an install partition, or "press D to
delete".

Now I'm way-way over my head!! Any thoughts? Thanks, Tom

> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:30:00 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
Thanks for responding, Tom. I've only installed one application so
> back-up isn't a problem. I've cut an XP reinstall CD in preparation
> for the inevitable, but how to get to separate drives? Hank, above,
> tells me to go to Disk Management. I found it via Help, but it looks
> way over my head.
>
> I booted the reinstall CD. The recovery Console just sees the combined
> C: "array". I rebooted the CD and started the XP install. I got to the
> point where he tells me:
> -: Partition 1 FAT 63MB
> C: Partition 2 NTFS 302184MB
> F: Partition 3 FAT32 2918MB
> ...and invited me to choose an install partition, or "press D to
> delete".
>
> Now I'm way-way over my head!! Any thoughts? Thanks, Tom

Unfortunately, I don't know. I don't have one on which to play. I'd suspect
a BIOS setting, since it is done prior to the OS load.

Tom

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

> "Tom Baldwin" <tomba_nospam_@pobox.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:30:00 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> Thanks for responding, Tom. I've only installed one application so
>> back-up isn't a problem. I've cut an XP reinstall CD in preparation
>> for the inevitable, but how to get to separate drives? Hank, above,
>> tells me to go to Disk Management. I found it via Help, but it looks
>> way over my head.
>>
>> I booted the reinstall CD. The recovery Console just sees the combined
>> C: "array". I rebooted the CD and started the XP install. I got to the
>> point where he tells me:
>> -: Partition 1 FAT 63MB
>> C: Partition 2 NTFS 302184MB
>> F: Partition 3 FAT32 2918MB
>> ...and invited me to choose an install partition, or "press D to
>> delete".
>>
>> Now I'm way-way over my head!! Any thoughts? Thanks, Tom
>
> Unfortunately, I don't know. I don't have one on which to play. I'd
> suspect a BIOS setting, since it is done prior to the OS load.
>
> Tom
>Yep I'm sure its in the BIOS setting F" at startup

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

> "Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Tom Baldwin" <tomba_nospam_@pobox.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for responding, Tom. I've only installed one application so

>>> Unfortunately, I don't know. I don't have one on which to play. I'd
>>> suspect a BIOS setting, since it is done prior to the OS load.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>Yep I'm sure its in the BIOS setting F" at startup
>> or rather F2

I don't have one here to play with either. But if he's going to break the
RAID array ( now "0" ), he's eventually going to have to go into the RAID
bios which appears after the Dell splash screen.

He's going to have to delete the array, then recreate it for RAID 1 in the
RAID bios.....

I've done it several times on Dimension 8400's, but not enough to do it from
memory.

ick.

Stew

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

> "Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

>>> or rather F2
>>>

> I don't have one here to play with either. But if he's going to break the
> RAID array ( now "0" ), he's eventually going to have to go into the RAID
> bios which appears after the Dell splash screen.
>
> He's going to have to delete the array, then recreate it for RAID 1 in the
> RAID bios.....
>
> I've done it several times on Dimension 8400's, but not enough to do it
> from memory.
I would have though all this information that is needed should be somewhere
in the Dell documentation or help files as we say in the UK RTFM

> ick.
>

> Stew

If you didn't order RAID then Dell should fix it. And not over the phone
either.

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:43:38 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com>
wrote:

>"Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

>>> or rather F2
>>>

>I don't have one here to play with either. But if he's going to break the
>RAID array ( now "0" ), he's eventually going to have to go into the RAID
>bios which appears after the Dell splash screen.
>
>He's going to have to delete the array, then recreate it for RAID 1 in the
>RAID bios.....
>
>I've done it several times on Dimension 8400's, but not enough to do it from
>memory.
>
>Stew
Thanks, Stew. Yes - Ctrl-I after the Dell splash screen shows me the
Raid Array @ 298GB and the two physical drives @ 149GB each. I get the
options to "Delete RAID Array" and "Reset disks to non-Raid". Which do
you recommend?? Thanks, Tom

> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:43:38 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

>>I don't have one here to play with either. But if he's going to break the
>>RAID array ( now "0" ), he's eventually going to have to go into the RAID
>>bios which appears after the Dell splash screen.
>>
>>He's going to have to delete the array, then recreate it for RAID 1 in the
>>RAID bios.....
>>
>>I've done it several times on Dimension 8400's, but not enough to do it
>>from
>>memory.
>>
>>Stew
> Thanks, Stew. Yes - Ctrl-I after the Dell splash screen shows me the
> Raid Array @ 298GB and the two physical drives @ 149GB each. I get the
> options to "Delete RAID Array" and "Reset disks to non-Raid". Which do
> you recommend?? Thanks, Tom

Tom -

IF - IF - you have nothing to lose on the drives, then simply try resetting
the drives to "non-RAID". If that doesn't work, try "deleting the RAID
array" first, then re-enter the RAID BIOS and set them to non-RAID.

Again, apologies for lack of specifics since I don't have one of those
machines handy.

To reiterate - you will lose EVERYTHING on both drives when you do either
option.

Good luck and enjoy....

Stew