Why tiny and not resizable system dialog windows?

Hi,

Why are many system dialog windows so tiny and not resizable? For example,
I opened the System Control Panel and wanted to edit the PATH system
variable. A tiny dialog window opened and could not be resized. I had to
copy the PATH value to a text editor, modify it, and then paste the value
back into that tiny dialog window.

Any chance this being fixed? Should be simple enough. I've noticed this on
all versions of windows.

Thank you,
Don
2 answers Last reply
More about tiny resizable system dialog windows

    I agree that it would be nice to resize some of the dialog windows
    (especially msconfig), but MS chose not to offer that feature. So a third
    party did.

    What you need can be obtained from www.digitallis.co.uk and is called
    "ResizeEnableRunner". Make a short cut in your QuickLaunch tool bar. Then
    when you initiate it, it puts an icon in your system tray. When a dialog
    window comes up that you want to expand, click on the icon, then move your
    mouse to the edge of the dialog window and drag the window to a new size.
    When you don't want it running any more, right click on the icon and close.
    Works great. I carry a copy on a USB drive for when I am working on a
    computer and want to use the feature. I don't even have to install it on
    the subject computer.

    "Don Leckie" <don@leckieinc.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Why are many system dialog windows so tiny and not resizable? For
    > example, I opened the System Control Panel and wanted to edit the PATH
    > system variable. A tiny dialog window opened and could not be resized. I
    > had to copy the PATH value to a text editor, modify it, and then paste the
    > value back into that tiny dialog window.
    >
    > Any chance this being fixed? Should be simple enough. I've noticed this
    > on all versions of windows.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Don

    Hi Richard,

    Thanks!!!

    Don

    "Richard in AZ" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    >I agree that it would be nice to resize some of the dialog windows
    >(especially msconfig), but MS chose not to offer that feature. So a third
    >party did.
    >
    > What you need can be obtained from www.digitallis.co.uk and is called
    > "ResizeEnableRunner". Make a short cut in your QuickLaunch tool bar.
    > Then when you initiate it, it puts an icon in your system tray. When a
    > dialog window comes up that you want to expand, click on the icon, then
    > move your mouse to the edge of the dialog window and drag the window to a
    > new size. When you don't want it running any more, right click on the icon
    > and close. Works great. I carry a copy on a USB drive for when I am
    > working on a computer and want to use the feature. I don't even have to
    > install it on the subject computer.
    >
    > "Don Leckie" <don@leckieinc.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Why are many system dialog windows so tiny and not resizable? For
    >> example, I opened the System Control Panel and wanted to edit the PATH
    >> system variable. A tiny dialog window opened and could not be resized.
    >> I had to copy the PATH value to a text editor, modify it, and then paste
    >> the value back into that tiny dialog window.
    >>
    >> Any chance this being fixed? Should be simple enough. I've noticed this
    >> on all versions of windows.
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >> Don

Dialog Tiny Windows XP