Sign in with
Your question

How to install windows 2003 server with 60 windows xp desktops

Last response: in Business Computing
February 27, 2012 7:51:54 PM

Hi I am planning to install windows 2003 server with 60 windows xp desktops. I am looking for information about how to configure this network according to my requirement .

20 desktops are using for computer lab need to have some kind of filtering system because since this is a school need to block some sites.

This school has Filemaker pro 5.5 I want to have this install and manage with same network.

Other all desktops need to assign for different departments

Family student services
Transportation
Administration
Development

With this category’s I want them to save there documents in sever folder but not share with others. So this way I can backup all the data from one place.

Need to share one public folder any one can access school forms from that folder.

I do have
01 Cox DSL line and
2 48 port switches
02 Dell servers

Please anyone can pass clear instructions to implement will be very helpful.
February 27, 2012 8:06:12 PM

Wow ok I have to assume you know the basics I could be wrong.

1 Install OS
2 Create domain
3 Create accounts
4 Join all 60 computers to the domain
5 Go to servers biggest drive make a public folder right click share give everyone access
6 Create all your folders for your departments again share but under security remove everyone and add just the users that should have access.
7 Create login scripts for all the drives aka "net use f: \\server\share name
8 reboot all computers on network you should get all the drives mapped automagicly

As for the filtering there is a tone of ways to do this so I will leave that for someone else.

Thent
February 27, 2012 8:25:46 PM

Do you see the black bar at the very top of the forum page on the right where it says "Toms IT Pro" ? Click on that.....
Related resources
February 27, 2012 9:16:34 PM

Hi :) 

Although several of us here know how to do what you are requesting, we are hardly likely to type your answer for a week or so...

What worries me is the fact you are asking anyway....to do a schools network you NEED to be a qualified network engineer.....

The fact you have to ask , says you are not....

So the proper answer is for you to PAY a network engineer to install the system...

All the best Brett :) 
February 27, 2012 9:55:35 PM

You dont have to be a qualified network engineer what are you smoking? What if hes in a foreign country without people like that? Besides private schools or church schools can hire people like that or they just simply want their normal IT guy to do this and not have to spend money they don't have hiring a network engineer.

I have 2 degrees in computer support and networking, i am not a network engineer. Do i know how to setup windows server and domains? Sure i learned that in school.

You don't have to be an @ss to the guy for asking a question from one IT person to another IT person.

60 computers also isn't enough to even warrant the need for a network engineer, you would be wasting your time since i have already done this myself during summer internships over a 3 week period.
February 27, 2012 10:38:48 PM

I don't think anyone should be deterred from asking their questions: That's what this forum is about, and what are we here for but to help teach others and answer questions regarding computers in a professional environment.

While a lot of people here may tell you, "Man, that's so simple, why should we bother helping you?" but don't be fooled, for someone who hasn't done this before, it can be difficult. I learned how to do just what you are describing here by simply being dropped into the environment and being expected to do it!

First things first, get your server ready. Install Windows 2003 Server and configure your settings for the domain controller, DNS, and file serving. There are MANY great guides online that will walk you through this process, so I won't worry about the details here unless you have specific questions.

Next, I would suggest tackling one department at a time. If you have several computers that are identical, or at least one computer that you can use as a test system, I'd install your client OS on the computer (you were saying Windows XP) and your necessary software on there. Join it to the domain, and begin just playing or doing trial and error with this single test computer till you have your little details and bugs worked out.

During this process, you can be creating your user accounts and your network shares on the server. You will want to create all the desired shared folders on a protected RAID array of drives (and ensure you have a tested and trusted backup system in place beyond your RAID!) On each of these shared documents, you will want to set up the security share permissions. For instance, create individual user folders and assign the permission for that specific user, or group shared folders and assign permission to a group of users.

Once you have the server communicating with the test computer like you are wanting (and you can test all your software) begin to roll out this same process to your other computers by department. Install the OS on all the Administrative computers, install all necessary software, and join to the domain.

This is just the beginning, but it should give you a broad overview of where to begin! Don't be deterred, keep on talking and researching, that's the best way of learning sometimes when you're thrown into an environment like this.
February 28, 2012 11:04:57 AM

When asking a question such as this, the question should be targeted to specific questions instead of a broad question.

What exactly does the OP need help with? Since the OP's capabilities aren't listed along with a very vague and broad question, frustration can occur from users who do want to help.

Typically with these questions the OP never comes back to check the thread. Ideally you as responders want to ask targeted questions and hope the OP replies. If there is no reply, don't bother with the replies since it will otherwise go unused. This will save everyone a great deal of frustration and make the answers far more beneficial to the users who really read them.
February 28, 2012 11:33:18 AM

I have to agree with Brett on this. There are books which would be far more helpful than an online forum. The OP is in over his head when he even has to ask a question like that.
Another responder from Tom's had a good answer a few months ago on a similar Q and responded with pricing for services to ADVISE, not install, how the sitiation could be handled. I'm hoping that OP went and asked some pros or bought a book.
February 28, 2012 1:26:07 PM

It's definitely true that a few good books can help to answer the OP situations and probably several questions by going through a broad range of information and scenarios in a top to bottom description, but it's definitely not the most timely way of coming by a solution.

This is a pretty big, broad, and generalized question by the OP, but I hate to see anyone ignore questions because they don't feel the OP will benefit from it. Maybe not, but there are certainly others on the internet that will see the information and gain knowledge from it at some point. I know many times if I've had questions or am doing research on a topic or issue, I've looked up old threads here on Toms and someone else may too find information presented in most any thread (that has the potential for valid and beneficial feedback and information of course.)

The general consensus here though is, yes, the OP gave a very general and broad question about a project going on instead of specific questions to address. To get better and more detailed responses, it's best to narrow the area for discussion or list of specific concerns or questions to be asked. If they are just looking for a broad-scale description of how to go about the overall project from start to completion, well that's pretty difficult to discuss here in a forum. There are many guides on the internet that will explain how this can be done for a broad range of technically experienced people. However, if you find you are still having problems after doing some research, the biggest thing you need to recognize is when you may be in over your head! Don't worry, it happens, and I'm not saying that you are as we don't know your level of experience, but be wise enough to see when you are and when you need to contact outside help who can reliably help you hands-on with completing your project or answering your questions.
March 15, 2012 10:53:04 AM

I'am new member join this community. Many many thanks to sharing your how to install windows 2003 server with 60 windows xp desktops information. Really it is very usefull site.

Thanks a lot.
Agili
April 2, 2013 1:21:19 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Although several of us here know how to do what you are requesting, we are hardly likely to type your answer for a week or so...

What worries me is the fact you are asking anyway....to do a schools network you NEED to be a qualified network engineer.....

The fact you have to ask , says you are not....

So the proper answer is for you to PAY a network engineer to install the system...

All the best Brett :) 

Nice try, Brett! With an answer like that, YOU'RE sure as hell not getting the job!!!
April 11, 2013 2:41:53 PM

Instead of typing out a long response if you still are having issues message me and i can assist you.
May 3, 2013 11:51:56 AM

Uncle Scotty & sub7forhire, this thread is 12 months old, I doubt that you will get any replies apart from the ones you have done yourself, and mine.

My query would have been as to why the school was still using Windows XP in the year 2012.
!