Replace Old XP Installation With A New One

August 5, 2005 8:04:56 PM

Let's see if I can explain what I want to do.

My XP Home system was installed right after XP came out and has, I'm
sure, accumulated a lot of drivers and other files and stuff which are
no longer needed. And I'm almost certain the Registry has a lot of
useless stuff in it as well so I want to do a clean install of XP and
Programs and start over. Yet, I want to keep my present XP on C: until
I get the new, clean install customized and all my programs up and
running with the clean install

XP and programs are on C:( Primary of course) and D:( Logical) contains my
data files. I have created, using Partition Magic, another Primary
partition on Disk 0 the same size as C: with no drive letter assigned. I
plan to de-activate the old C:, make the new partition active using any
one of several ways, and then take a day or so to install XP and all
Programs on the new C:. I can afford to do this I think. But just in
case I need a running system before I complete the job, I believe I can
de-activate the new partition and activate the old one and be back where
I started with my original configuration. After I complete the new
installation and customization, I plan to delete the 'old' partition
and move the 'new' partition (again using Partition Magic) to the
beginning of Disk 0.

I will have a complete Ghost image of C: out on Disk 1 as well as CD's
before I start. Of course D: is adequately backed up in several places.

Does this seem like a reasonable way to go about the task of getting a
clean install while maintaining a fall back position?

Thank you very much.

More about : replace installation

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 8:04:57 PM

Hi ,

If I have understtod correctly, you wat to clean up your PC without doing
programs installationa again.

Here is how to do it:

Take a backup of your PC.

Run a Windows XP Setup from your Windows XP CD.

When you are prompted for Repair of OS or Fresh Install, select that you
want to continue with fresh install .

Once again you will be prompted to select the drive where the OS should be
installed, and there you select C drive. you will be prompted that OS is
alredy there. Then you select repair. Basically the second time Repair option
you get must be used.

Then Windows will reinstall all the OS related files and give you are clean
system with all programs intact. Do windows and service pack updates, Your XP
will be fine.

Let me know if you need more help.

Regards,
Rahul Nathan

MCSE 2000/MCP WIN XP/MCSA 2003

"Jack Gillis" wrote:

> Let's see if I can explain what I want to do.
>
> My XP Home system was installed right after XP came out and has, I'm
> sure, accumulated a lot of drivers and other files and stuff which are
> no longer needed. And I'm almost certain the Registry has a lot of
> useless stuff in it as well so I want to do a clean install of XP and
> Programs and start over. Yet, I want to keep my present XP on C: until
> I get the new, clean install customized and all my programs up and
> running with the clean install
>
> XP and programs are on C:( Primary of course) and D:( Logical) contains my
> data files. I have created, using Partition Magic, another Primary
> partition on Disk 0 the same size as C: with no drive letter assigned. I
> plan to de-activate the old C:, make the new partition active using any
> one of several ways, and then take a day or so to install XP and all
> Programs on the new C:. I can afford to do this I think. But just in
> case I need a running system before I complete the job, I believe I can
> de-activate the new partition and activate the old one and be back where
> I started with my original configuration. After I complete the new
> installation and customization, I plan to delete the 'old' partition
> and move the 'new' partition (again using Partition Magic) to the
> beginning of Disk 0.
>
> I will have a complete Ghost image of C: out on Disk 1 as well as CD's
> before I start. Of course D: is adequately backed up in several places.
>
> Does this seem like a reasonable way to go about the task of getting a
> clean install while maintaining a fall back position?
>
> Thank you very much.

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 8:53:21 PM

"Fastest Tram" <FastestTram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D B2D8D6F-51C6-4152-95D8-0E2641444A76@microsoft.com...

> Hi ,
>
> If I have understtod correctly, you wat to clean up your PC without
> doing
> programs installationa again.
>
> Here is how to do it:
>
> Take a backup of your PC.
>
> Run a Windows XP Setup from your Windows XP CD.
>
> When you are prompted for Repair of OS or Fresh Install, select that
> you
> want to continue with fresh install .
>
> Once again you will be prompted to select the drive where the OS
> should be
> installed, and there you select C drive. you will be prompted that OS
> is
> alredy there. Then you select repair. Basically the second time Repair
> option
> you get must be used.
>
> Then Windows will reinstall all the OS related files and give you are
> clean
> system with all programs intact. Do windows and service pack updates,
> Your XP
> will be fine.
>
> Let me know if you need more help.
>
> Regards,
> Rahul Nathan
>
> MCSE 2000/MCP WIN XP/MCSA 2003

Thank you very much.

Well, I don't really mind re-installing the programs. I've done many
'repair installs' but didtn't realize that the 'repair install' would
clean out the Registry and remove old drivers for hardware that no
longer exists and such things. That is the object of the proposed
exercise. Are you sure about that point? I sincerely hope you are
correct.

Thanks again.

> "Jack Gillis" wrote:
>
>> Let's see if I can explain what I want to do.
>>
>> My XP Home system was installed right after XP came out and has, I'm
>> sure, accumulated a lot of drivers and other files and stuff which
>> are
>> no longer needed. And I'm almost certain the Registry has a lot of
>> useless stuff in it as well so I want to do a clean install of XP and
>> Programs and start over. Yet, I want to keep my present XP on C:
>> until
>> I get the new, clean install customized and all my programs up and
>> running with the clean install
>>
>> XP and programs are on C:( Primary of course) and D:( Logical) contains
>> my
>> data files. I have created, using Partition Magic, another Primary
>> partition on Disk 0 the same size as C: with no drive letter
>> assigned. I
>> plan to de-activate the old C:, make the new partition active using
>> any
>> one of several ways, and then take a day or so to install XP and all
>> Programs on the new C:. I can afford to do this I think. But just in
>> case I need a running system before I complete the job, I believe I
>> can
>> de-activate the new partition and activate the old one and be back
>> where
>> I started with my original configuration. After I complete the new
>> installation and customization, I plan to delete the 'old' partition
>> and move the 'new' partition (again using Partition Magic) to the
>> beginning of Disk 0.
>>
>> I will have a complete Ghost image of C: out on Disk 1 as well as
>> CD's
>> before I start. Of course D: is adequately backed up in several
>> places.
>>
>> Does this seem like a reasonable way to go about the task of getting
>> clean install while maintaining a fall back position?
>>
>> Thank you very much.

August 5, 2005 8:53:22 PM

"Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> plan to de-activate the old C:, make the new partition active using any
>>> one of several ways, and then take a day or so to install XP and all
>>> Programs on the new C:. I can afford to do this I think. But just in
>>> case I need a running system before I complete the job, I believe I can
>>> de-activate the new partition and activate the old one and be back where
>>> I started with my original configuration. After I complete the new
>>> installation and customization, I plan to delete the 'old' partition
>>> and move the 'new' partition (again using Partition Magic) to the
>>> beginning of Disk 0.
>>>
>>> I will have a complete Ghost image of C: out on Disk 1 as well as CD's
>>> before I start. Of course D: is adequately backed up in several places.
>>>
>>> Does this seem like a reasonable way to go about the task of getting a
>>> clean install while maintaining a fall back position?

A repair install replaces Windows files but doesn't touch third-party files,
so all your drivers, software, registry entries, desktop items, etc. would
still be there. That doesn't sound like what you want.

If I was you, what I'd do is get a new hard drive, install that and take out
the old one. Drives are cheap, and new ones are bigger and faster. Then
install Windows on the new drive, and proceed to install drivers, programs,
whatever. If you suddenly need to boot off of the old drive, you can just
swap drives. When you're sure your new drive is set up the way you want it,
install your old drive as a slave or install it into a removable USB
enclosure, and start copying the files you need. Then, when you're
absolutely sure you don't need anything else off of the old drive, format it
and use it as extra storage, backup, whatever.

Make ghosted backups of whatever you feel is necessary at any point in the
operation.

Your plan sounds like it could work, but it seems a bit complicated and
that's where the problems can creep in. I've known too many people -- and
some of them alleged professionals -- who have accidentally formatted the
wrong partition, or who have somehow managed to mess up an installation so
the boot drive magically changes its drive letter. And then the fun begins.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:00:46 AM

"Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message
> "Fastest Tram" <FastestTram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D B2D8D6F-51C6-4152-95D8-0E2641444A76@microsoft.com...
>>
>> Hi ,
>>
>> If I have understtod correctly, you wat to clean up your PC without doing
>> programs installationa again.
>>
>> Here is how to do it:
>>
>> Take a backup of your PC.
>>
>> Run a Windows XP Setup from your Windows XP CD.
>>
>> When you are prompted for Repair of OS or Fresh Install, select that you
>> want to continue with fresh install .
>>
>> Once again you will be prompted to select the drive where the OS should
>> be
>> installed, and there you select C drive. you will be prompted that OS is
>> alredy there. Then you select repair. Basically the second time Repair
>> option
>> you get must be used.
>>
>> Then Windows will reinstall all the OS related files and give you are
>> clean
>> system with all programs intact. Do windows and service pack updates,
>> Your XP
>> will be fine.
>>
>> Let me know if you need more help.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Rahul Nathan
>>
>> MCSE 2000/MCP WIN XP/MCSA 2003
>>

> Thank you very much.
>
> Well, I don't really mind re-installing the programs. I've done many
> 'repair installs' but didtn't realize that the 'repair install' would
> clean out the Registry

Actually the repair install does not do that.

>and remove old drivers for hardware that no longer exists and such things.

Doesn't really do that either.

> That is the object of the proposed exercise. Are you sure about that
> point? I sincerely hope you are correct.
>
> Thanks again.

The repair install replaces Windows files, not other drivers. It uses the
existing registry, so if there are existing registry issues - they will
still be there after the install.

I would suggest that the very best bet is to simply get a new hard disk, and
install it as the primary drive. Install the old drive as a secondary
drive. Do a clean install to the new drive, re-install apps as needed,
apply all updates, then migrate the data from the old drive to the new.
This is simple, fast, and reliable.

I would also suggest that you download Everest first and make a system
report so that you can have all the appropriate hardware details for getting
drivers. http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang...

HTH
-pk

<Snippage>
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 10:09:33 AM

Thank you very much. Now that I think of it, I had planned to get a
larger HD a little letter and your suggestion will accelerate that plan.
It does seem to be a simpler approach.

"D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Preceeding parts snipped.

> A repair install replaces Windows files but doesn't touch third-party
> files, so all your drivers, software, registry entries, desktop items,
> etc. would still be there. That doesn't sound like what you want.
>
> If I was you, what I'd do is get a new hard drive, install that and
> take out the old one. Drives are cheap, and new ones are bigger and
> faster. Then install Windows on the new drive, and proceed to install
> drivers, programs, whatever. If you suddenly need to boot off of the
> old drive, you can just swap drives. When you're sure your new drive
> is set up the way you want it, install your old drive as a slave or
> install it into a removable USB enclosure, and start copying the files
> you need. Then, when you're absolutely sure you don't need anything
> else off of the old drive, format it and use it as extra storage,
> backup, whatever.
>
> Make ghosted backups of whatever you feel is necessary at any point in
> the operation.
>
> Your plan sounds like it could work, but it seems a bit complicated
> and that's where the problems can creep in. I've known too many
> people -- and some of them alleged professionals -- who have
> accidentally formatted the wrong partition, or who have somehow
> managed to mess up an installation so the boot drive magically changes
> its drive letter. And then the fun begins.

Anonymous
August 6, 2005 10:13:28 AM

"Patrick Keenan" <test@dev.null> wrote in message

Thank you, Patrick. Yours is the second suggestion for the new HD
approach so it must have some merit.
I will do it.

I already have Everest as well al BelArc.

< Much Snipped>

!