Ian

using xp home when i try to watch a film from my hard drive the picture keeps
freezing but just for a few seconds its like stuttering it also does it in
the visualisations in media player when playing music and when playing games
online also the computer has been shutting down and system restore wont work
I also used registry cleaner I had 580 faults fixed them still have same
problems

Look at the Event Viewer whether you could any clue.
Also check memory.
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
http://www.memtest86.com/

regards,