Directory listing won't change

August 5, 2005 8:05:01 PM

I have two CD/DVD reader/recorders on my system and suddenly when I change a
disc the directory listing displayed is from the previous. Pressing F5 for
refresh has no effect. The only solution I have found is to reboot which is
somewhat of a pain.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what is the solution?

If no-one has had this problem --- any ideas?
August 6, 2005 5:02:25 AM

Very old and common issue. More info and history needed. Good luck and in
the meantime:

Suggestions:

Open My Computer, right click on the CD Rom in question,
Properties/Hardware/Properties/Volumes/Populate.

Other than that, this problem can occur if you are using Folder view in
Windows Explorer. The view may not be automatically refreshed in Folder view
in Windows Explorer.

To work around this problem, use either of the following methods:

Manually refresh Windows Explorer by pressing F5 or by clicking Refresh on
the View menu in Windows Explorer. And/or Do not use Folder view in Windows
Explorer.

Incorrect Contents Are Displayed in Windows Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q314939

How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q321641

You Cannot View the Files on a Disc After You Replace a CD-R or CD-RW Drive
with a DVD or CD-ROM Drive
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q311455

CD's Recorded in Windows XP Is Missing Files or Folders, or Is Unreadable
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q309691

Just use:

open=explorer.exe index.htm

Note it's explorer.exe, not iexplore.exe

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Don117" <Don117@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two CD/DVD reader/recorders on my system and suddenly when I change
> disc the directory listing displayed is from the previous. Pressing F5 for
> refresh has no effect. The only solution I have found is to reboot which
> is
> somewhat of a pain.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what is the solution?
>
> If no-one has had this problem --- any ideas?

August 7, 2005 7:43:40 AM

Don117 wrote on Fri, 5 Aug 2005:

>I have two CD/DVD reader/recorders on my system and suddenly when I change a
>disc the directory listing displayed is from the previous. Pressing F5 for
>refresh has no effect. The only solution I have found is to reboot which is
>somewhat of a pain.
>
>Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what is the solution?
>
>If no-one has had this problem --- any ideas?

Hi Don

I just installed a new DVD drive and found something interesting. If the
focus is on the drive in Explorer's left pane when I eject a disk, the
focus then "jumps" to the next folder/object down in the tree -- on my
computer that's Control Panel.

So I press the "up" cursor key to go back to the drive, which then shows
a blank in the right pane. When I then insert a new disk, the listing is
updated.

Would that maybe work for you? If the focus doesn't automatically "move
down one" when you eject your disk, try doing it manually, then going
back up to the drive, which should then show blank, *before* inserting
the new disk.

I'd be interested to know if it helps. . .

--
Nightowl
Related resources

Great tip, hope it works. I don't have a system here with that issue, so
will have to wait some to test it. :o )

--

"Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
> Don117 wrote on Fri, 5 Aug 2005:
>
>>I have two CD/DVD reader/recorders on my system and suddenly when I change
>>disc the directory listing displayed is from the previous. Pressing F5 for
>>refresh has no effect. The only solution I have found is to reboot which
>>is
>>somewhat of a pain.
>>
>>Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what is the solution?
>>
>>If no-one has had this problem --- any ideas?
>
> Hi Don
>
> I just installed a new DVD drive and found something interesting. If the
> focus is on the drive in Explorer's left pane when I eject a disk, the
> focus then "jumps" to the next folder/object down in the tree -- on my
> computer that's Control Panel.
>
> So I press the "up" cursor key to go back to the drive, which then shows a
> blank in the right pane. When I then insert a new disk, the listing is
> updated.
>
> Would that maybe work for you? If the focus doesn't automatically "move
> down one" when you eject your disk, try doing it manually, then going back
> up to the drive, which should then show blank, *before* inserting the new
> disk.
>
> I'd be interested to know if it helps. . .
>
> --
> Nightowl
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 4:08:05 PM

Sorry for the delay in trying your suggestion but this month has slipped past
very quickly.

Have tried your suggestion once and it worked; but, on the other hand it
hasn't always failed. So the next time it fails and your suggestion gets
around it I will let you know.

Thanks for yours & Kelly's reply --- appreciate the help.

"Nightowl" wrote:

> Don117 wrote on Fri, 5 Aug 2005:
>
> >I have two CD/DVD reader/recorders on my system and suddenly when I change a
> >disc the directory listing displayed is from the previous. Pressing F5 for
> >refresh has no effect. The only solution I have found is to reboot which is
> >somewhat of a pain.
> >
> >Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what is the solution?
> >
> >If no-one has had this problem --- any ideas?
>
> Hi Don
>
> I just installed a new DVD drive and found something interesting. If the
> focus is on the drive in Explorer's left pane when I eject a disk, the
> focus then "jumps" to the next folder/object down in the tree -- on my
> computer that's Control Panel.
>
> So I press the "up" cursor key to go back to the drive, which then shows
> a blank in the right pane. When I then insert a new disk, the listing is
> updated.
>
> Would that maybe work for you? If the focus doesn't automatically "move
> down one" when you eject your disk, try doing it manually, then going
> back up to the drive, which should then show blank, *before* inserting
> the new disk.
>
> I'd be interested to know if it helps. . .
>
> --
> Nightowl

August 27, 2005 7:58:09 AM

Don117 wrote on Fri, 26 Aug 2005:

>Sorry for the delay in trying your suggestion but this month has slipped past
>very quickly.

Hi Don. Ha, I know how the time goes :-)

>Have tried your suggestion once and it worked; but, on the other hand it
>hasn't always failed. So the next time it fails and your suggestion gets
>around it I will let you know.
>
>Thanks for yours & Kelly's reply --- appreciate the help.

You're very welcome. Last week someone with a similar problem found this
worked:

Open Regedit and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom
Look for the value Autorun and make sure it is set to 1.
If not, change and reboot.

Worth a try?

!