Directory listing won't change

I have two CD/DVD reader/recorders on my system and suddenly when I change a
disc the directory listing displayed is from the previous. Pressing F5 for
refresh has no effect. The only solution I have found is to reboot which is
somewhat of a pain.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what is the solution?

If no-one has had this problem --- any ideas?
5 answers Last reply
More about directory listing change

    Very old and common issue. More info and history needed. Good luck and in
    the meantime:

    Suggestions:

    Open My Computer, right click on the CD Rom in question,
    Properties/Hardware/Properties/Volumes/Populate.

    Other than that, this problem can occur if you are using Folder view in
    Windows Explorer. The view may not be automatically refreshed in Folder view
    in Windows Explorer.

    To work around this problem, use either of the following methods:

    Manually refresh Windows Explorer by pressing F5 or by clicking Refresh on
    the View menu in Windows Explorer. And/or Do not use Folder view in Windows
    Explorer.

    Incorrect Contents Are Displayed in Windows Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q314939

    How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q321641

    You Cannot View the Files on a Disc After You Replace a CD-R or CD-RW Drive
    with a DVD or CD-ROM Drive
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q311455

    CD's Recorded in Windows XP Is Missing Files or Folders, or Is Unreadable
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q309691

    Just use:

    open=explorer.exe index.htm

    Note it's explorer.exe, not iexplore.exe

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Don117 wrote on Fri, 5 Aug 2005:

    >I have two CD/DVD reader/recorders on my system and suddenly when I change a
    >disc the directory listing displayed is from the previous. Pressing F5 for
    >refresh has no effect. The only solution I have found is to reboot which is
    >somewhat of a pain.
    >
    >Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what is the solution?
    >
    >If no-one has had this problem --- any ideas?

    Hi Don

    I just installed a new DVD drive and found something interesting. If the
    focus is on the drive in Explorer's left pane when I eject a disk, the
    focus then "jumps" to the next folder/object down in the tree -- on my
    computer that's Control Panel.

    So I press the "up" cursor key to go back to the drive, which then shows
    a blank in the right pane. When I then insert a new disk, the listing is
    updated.

    Would that maybe work for you? If the focus doesn't automatically "move
    down one" when you eject your disk, try doing it manually, then going
    back up to the drive, which should then show blank, *before* inserting
    the new disk.

    I'd be interested to know if it helps. . .

    --
    Nightowl

    Great tip, hope it works. I don't have a system here with that issue, so
    will have to wait some to test it. :o)

    --

    "Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    > Don117 wrote on Fri, 5 Aug 2005:
    >
    >>I have two CD/DVD reader/recorders on my system and suddenly when I change
    >>disc the directory listing displayed is from the previous. Pressing F5 for
    >>refresh has no effect. The only solution I have found is to reboot which
    >>is
    >>somewhat of a pain.
    >>
    >>Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what is the solution?
    >>
    >>If no-one has had this problem --- any ideas?
    >
    > Hi Don
    >
    > I just installed a new DVD drive and found something interesting. If the
    > focus is on the drive in Explorer's left pane when I eject a disk, the
    > focus then "jumps" to the next folder/object down in the tree -- on my
    > computer that's Control Panel.
    >
    > So I press the "up" cursor key to go back to the drive, which then shows a
    > blank in the right pane. When I then insert a new disk, the listing is
    > updated.
    >
    > Would that maybe work for you? If the focus doesn't automatically "move
    > down one" when you eject your disk, try doing it manually, then going back
    > up to the drive, which should then show blank, *before* inserting the new
    > disk.
    >
    > I'd be interested to know if it helps. . .
    >
    > --
    > Nightowl

    Sorry for the delay in trying your suggestion but this month has slipped past
    very quickly.

    Have tried your suggestion once and it worked; but, on the other hand it
    hasn't always failed. So the next time it fails and your suggestion gets
    around it I will let you know.

    Thanks for yours & Kelly's reply --- appreciate the help.

    Don117 wrote on Fri, 26 Aug 2005:

    >Sorry for the delay in trying your suggestion but this month has slipped past
    >very quickly.

    Hi Don. Ha, I know how the time goes :-)

    >Have tried your suggestion once and it worked; but, on the other hand it
    >hasn't always failed. So the next time it fails and your suggestion gets
    >around it I will let you know.
    >
    >Thanks for yours & Kelly's reply --- appreciate the help.

    You're very welcome. Last week someone with a similar problem found this
    worked:

    Open Regedit and navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom
    Look for the value Autorun and make sure it is set to 1.
    If not, change and reboot.

    Worth a try?

    >"Nightowl" wrote:
    >
    >> Don117 wrote on Fri, 5 Aug 2005:
    >>
    >> >I have two CD/DVD reader/recorders on my system and suddenly when I change a
    >> >disc the directory listing displayed is from the previous. Pressing F5 for
    >> >refresh has no effect. The only solution I have found is to reboot which is
    >> >somewhat of a pain.
    >> >
    >> >Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what is the solution?
    >> >
    >> >If no-one has had this problem --- any ideas?
    >>
    >> Hi Don
    >>
    >> I just installed a new DVD drive and found something interesting. If the
    >> focus is on the drive in Explorer's left pane when I eject a disk, the
    >> focus then "jumps" to the next folder/object down in the tree -- on my
    >> computer that's Control Panel.
    >>
    >> So I press the "up" cursor key to go back to the drive, which then shows
    >> a blank in the right pane. When I then insert a new disk, the listing is
    >> updated.
    >>
    >> Would that maybe work for you? If the focus doesn't automatically "move
    >> down one" when you eject your disk, try doing it manually, then going
    >> back up to the drive, which should then show blank, *before* inserting
    >> the new disk.
    >>
    >> I'd be interested to know if it helps. . .

    --
    Nightowl

Microsoft CD-Rom Windows XP