XP will not start, reboots PC

about week and half after a new reload of XP, the PC will not run XP. It gets
to the "windows did not start properly, what you wanna do" screen. I can
select any mode and PC still reboots. even the safe modes.
any idea's what the heck is going on?
is very frustrating. thanks

paddy

reinstall windows again. That happened to me once. I did a clean install
of windows xp and it solved
the problem.

forgot to mention, this was the 2nd time i've re-loaded XP and same thing
happened on previous re-install about week and a half later.
I did get XP working again late yesterday evening - was reading someone
elses similar problem and a suggestion to do 'repair' with the XP CD. In part
of that response they mentioned trying CHKDSK. I did that and it found and
repaired some data. After more piddling with other commands the PC did a
reboot and was able to get to safe mode. at that point i just did a normal
restart and the PC went into XP just fine. We'll see how long this lasts. I
suspect a bad UPS allowing power bumps to screw up the PC, it shutting down
without properly shutting down XP. and we know how painful that can be. tnx.

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 01:58:18 GMT, Paddy <paddyman@verizon.net> wrote:

>reinstall windows again. That happened to me once. I did a clean install
>of windows xp and it solved the problem.

Good for you, but that is NOT a generically safe fix.

See http://cquirke.mvps.org/reisnt.htm

If the cause of your woes was bad RAM, failing HD, etc. you could have
ended up with unbootable porridge and irreversable data loss.

The most accurate diagnostic instrument
in medicine is the Retrospectoscope