Logging off XP

Is there anyway that you can set up winXP to automatically log off a user if
the desktop is left idle for say 20 min? Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about logging

    Hi Jon,

    Probably not log the user off, but if the welcome screen is enabled, you can bring that up after a
    certain period of inactivity. Right click on an empty area on the desktop and select properties.
    Flip to the screensaver tab and put a check next to 'On resume...' and you can also set the time in
    which the screensaver kicks in.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Jon" <Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there anyway that you can set up winXP to automatically log off a user if
    > the desktop is left idle for say 20 min? Thanks

    Depends on exactly what you want to happen. More info here:

    You can schedule a task to lock the desktop after a period of
    inactivity.

    Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Scheduled Tasks. On the last
    screen, check off Show Advanced Options. Under Advanced/Settings/Idle Time
    (Only start... and Stop the task...).

    You can schedule a task for inactivity. Use this to lock the
    desktop after 10 minutes of idle time.

    Use this shortcut for the task:

    %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation
    C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation.

    To log off and run the risk of having your programs end prematurely and
    without saving any unsaved material, you could use the same scheduled task
    command and replace the LockWorkStation with ExitWindows. That will log off
    the currently logged on user.

    To schedule a logoff procedure for XP, use this:
    C:\Windows\System32\shutdown -l as the scheduled task.

    A scheduled task can be run without passwords:

    For Pro: Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security
    Policy/Local Policies/Security options. In the right hand pane (third down).

    Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only.
    This is enabled by default, disable it.

    For Home: Run Scheduled Task without a Password (Line 68)

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Jon wrote:

    > Is there anyway that you can set up winXP to automatically log
    > off a user if the desktop is left idle for say 20 min? Thanks
    Hi,

    A couple of options:

    1)
    Use a logout screen saver:

    Winexit.scr in the free Win2k3 Server RK kit (will work on
    Win2k and WinXP at least) will logoff a user even if the computer
    is locked, as long as "Force application termination" is enabled
    in winexit.scr's configuration (at least for domain computers).

    Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en

    The kit will install on WinXP or later and you can then copy
    winexit.scr to other computers without installing the RK tools
    on those other computers.

    If the users are non-admins on the local computer you must add Set Value
    and Create Subkey permissions for the group Everyone on this registry
    key:
    HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion

    How can I use the WinExit screen saver without granting Admin rights?
    http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBC/tip1100/rh1179.htm

    Logoff Screen Saver Does Not Function in Windows NT
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;156677

    2)
    Another option is to create a scheduled job on each computer that logs
    the user off after a set amount of idle time:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=3FB6E343.FB3AE435@hydro.com

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Desktops Microsoft Windows XP