Sign in with
Your question

AHHHH xp burnt Help

Last response: in CPUs
February 1, 2003 7:57:20 PM

Hey I just bought another athlone xp for my brothers comp the fisrt one burnt out in a mater of 6mo this one was an 1.8 that burnt in about 4 seconds it was great just love that smell heh. anyway I hope I get an rma for it. but I was wondering there must be somting I am doing wrong I have build lots of pentiums and never a problem. The cpu didnt come with thrmo paist so I went and bought some thrmo greese I thought it was the same thing and put it on dont know bacause it is not as thick to what I am used to useing. I must be doing somtihng wrong mabe I just need a nice heat sink. anyone have any ideas? thanks

"yes I know my enemy they are the teachers that taught me to hate me"

More about : ahhhh burnt

February 1, 2003 8:44:01 PM

I dont think you need a new heatsink, I think you need to make sure you fit the Hs properly, and that it contacts the CPU core fully. Even with a crappy HSF, a CPU wouldnt burn up that fast.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>
February 1, 2003 9:35:34 PM

If you bought a retail heatsink fan and did not remove the pad that was on it, you have no warranty liability.
You sir did not pay attention, and I have no doubt it was user error that caused your failures.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:
Related resources
February 1, 2003 10:10:13 PM

Agreed, you had to have failed to put the HSF back on correctly.

This post is guaranteed fresh for up to 7 days after the date printed on the box.
February 1, 2003 11:59:50 PM

Did you follow the instructions? You sound completely clueless. You shouldn't build a computer if you have no idea what's going on.

What was the name of the "thermo grease"?
Did you take the themal pad off first?
Did you attack the heatsink correctly?
Was your heatsink/fan approved?

No, you will not get an RMA since this is user error.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Introducing the NVIDIA GeForceFX: The first Videocard designed exclusively for deaf people!</A></font color=red>
February 2, 2003 3:10:06 AM

AMD does a good job putting a multilanguage colorful glossy paper instructions bundled with their CPUs, by including precautions to check before booting up.
It is very important to make sure the HSF does not touch any part of the socket.
It is very important to check that it is properly in place, by tilting your HSF with your hand, left and right. If it moves a bit, try to fasten it more if it isn't, often that alone can mean the difference between 70% effective cooling from the HSF and 100%.
Also, always be sure to locate the CPU fan plug on the mobo, not the Power Fan as some did.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:
February 2, 2003 3:12:05 AM

Good on you guys. This person just asks for help and you flame him. He even SAID he must be doing something wrong and asks for suggestions as to what that might be. It wasn't like he was blaming the hardware.
February 2, 2003 3:31:30 AM

I agree with you, Novakain, This forum is for the purpose to help and support others (whether forum stranger or old timer) , not tear them down because they have a problem. If they didn't have a problem that they needed help on, they wouldn't come here.

Y'all steady tryin to drown a shark....
February 2, 2003 3:33:42 AM

My god sry didn't tell you that the heat sink came with the last amd cpu I bought that was not retail so it came with nothing but a cpu in a case and it was an athlone xp as well but it was a 1.6 the 1.8 prob should have came with a better hs. It prob was user error but I have build many systems before and u can be sure that I know how to put my heatsink on correctly. PLZ stop with the "flaming" dose that have to be said anymore that is alertly is? anyway I was asking for help because I obviously did something wrong. I came here for some help like I have many times before and helped ppl as well. SRY if I sounded "clueless" but I had 3 min before I had to leave for work so I wrote on the fly anyway. Thanks for the help. etc etc realy im not trying to sound like a dick at all although I prob alertly have and I can be sure I will get a reply to this telling me that.

"yes I know my enemy they are the teachers that taught me to hate me"
February 2, 2003 9:48:10 AM

Ok, heres the solution the your problem. Throw the burnt out CPU away, as it looks like you aint gonna be able to RMA it. Take your HSF, completely remove any traces of 'material' from the bottom using a sharp razor and then some rubbing alcohol (petrol will do :smile: ). Buy a new CPU, and some Arctic Silver 3 Thermal paste, and apply the Heatsink - properly. After you have done this wobble it around to make sure it is not at all loose. Then put the board flat on a table or sumthing (make sure its sitting on an antistatic bag) and look at the contact between the processor and the heatsink. If the heatsink is tilted (e.g part of it is closer to the socket than another part) reapply it, making sure that this time it is perfectly flat. If it is, plug in the CPU fan and.... Is there anything Ive missed out?

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>
February 2, 2003 1:42:12 PM

We've given as much suggestions while we were being rough as well, therefore I don't know what else can we "help" in this case, we've no idea what happened. All we know is the CPU burned.
If the safety precautions were not properly looked at, then obviously we can say it was his fault, I don't see why should we sound unhelpful if we're telling the truth.

I just don't know why a CPU, when properly installed with its HSF would burn by itself, it simply is not logical.

--
February 2, 2003 4:15:18 PM

Yes, most certainly agreed Eden. I fully understand your point, but as the guy has already went through the trauma of burning up his cpu, I think he has went through enough torture, because that sure is a unfortunate circumstance. I do think he should watch his actions more closely, but no point in beating a dead horse.

<b><font color=red>Nothin like a Pentium II furiously churning out a blistering 0.8 FPS on 3D Mark 2001!!!</font color=red></b>
February 3, 2003 12:57:51 AM

Given the information, I'm not sure we can give that advice. For all we know, he's using an old celeron HSF.

I would suggest going retail next time. It'll come with instructions and an approved HSF. In my case, I paid somebody $30 to do it the first time and by watching them was able to do it on my own every single time since. Nonetheless, the instructions today are pretty solid and if you follow them it's pretty hard to screw up.

I would also suggest getting a 2 proged screw driver so that you don't slip while installing the HSF.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Introducing the NVIDIA GeForceFX: The first Videocard designed exclusively for deaf people!</A></font color=red>
February 3, 2003 7:39:25 AM

definately get a retail kit.
You get a CPU, sticker, appropriate cooler and a big colour instruction manual that you should FOLLOW EXACTLY.

If you have doubts, get a professional to do it!!!

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>
February 3, 2003 5:56:28 PM

What's the problem here is that the guy has yet to give us more details on what exactly happened. All we're doing here is being redundant.

I'd like to help more if there was something to help, if it really was not user error.
--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 02/03/03 03:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 3, 2003 7:19:36 PM

Quote:
What was the name of the "thermo grease"?
Did you take the themal pad off first?
<b>Did you <font color=red>attack</font color=red> the heatsink correctly?</b>
Was your heatsink/fan approved?

No offense dhlucke, but I laughed my bum off when I read that one. It sounds to me like he <font color=red>attacked</font color=red> it quite well. Maybe that was his problem. :) 

Darn it, now I just can't get the picture of a samurai charging at his PC with a katana out of my head! :o 

Aaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Thunk!

Hmm ... why does this suddenly remind me of old Saturday Night Live skits?

PC Repair-Vol 1:Getting To Know Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 2:Troubleshooting Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 3:Having Trouble Troubleshooting Your PC?
PC Repair-Vol 4:Having Trouble Shooting Your PC?
February 3, 2003 11:23:35 PM

I totally missed that. I wonder what I was thinking about when I wrote that. LOL

<font color=red>
!