Reversing the file types association

August 5, 2005 8:55:02 PM

I Clicked on a game file to look in side with notepad and didn't unclick the
box so i wouldn't associate notpad with the file. Now it's associated with
notepad. How can I Put it back so windows will say no file types is
associated with this exetention?
Hope you understand what i am talking about.

bojack
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 11:04:44 PM

Right click on a file, Open with, Choose Program......
--
Ron Sommer

"bojack" <bojack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I Clicked on a game file to look in side with notepad and didn't unclick
>the
> box so i wouldn't associate notpad with the file. Now it's associated with
> notepad. How can I Put it back so windows will say no file types is
> associated with this exetention?
> Hope you understand what i am talking about.
>
> bojack
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 11:04:45 PM

"Ron Sommer" wrote:

> Right click on a file, Open with, Choose Program......
> --
> Ron Sommer
>
> "bojack" <bojack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I Clicked on a game file to look in side with notepad and didn't unclick
> >the
> > box so i wouldn't associate notpad with the file. Now it's associated with
> > notepad. How can I Put it back so windows will say no file types is
> > associated with this exetention?
> > Hope you understand what i am talking about.
> >
> > bojack

No i don't i want t to be associated with any file.
when you right click on the file, click on open, The file types open with
Box comes up to show you which file to open it with. There is a small box on
the bottom left.

[] aways use the selected program to open this kind of file.

I should have made sure that this box was not checked but i didn't. so now
it's opens with notepad. and i don't want it associated with any file or
program just like it was before i messed it up
bojack
August 6, 2005 12:01:02 AM

never mind i fixed it my self thank you anyway.
bojack
August 6, 2005 4:49:35 AM

Hi,

Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open]
@=

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open\command]
@=

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.]
"Application"=

Added info:

Restore Open With on the Right Click (Line 220)

Troubleshooting Open With in XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_o.htm#openwith

Clear Dynamic "Open With" Lists
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/OpenWithClear.zip
--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"bojack" <bojack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I Clicked on a game file to look in side with notepad and didn't unclick
>the
> box so i wouldn't associate notpad with the file. Now it's associated with
> notepad. How can I Put it back so windows will say no file types is
> associated with this exetention?
> Hope you understand what i am talking about.
>
> bojack
August 6, 2005 4:51:48 AM

Ah....glad you have it now sorted. Which method did you use or better
asked, what worked for you?

--

"bojack" <bokack501@mchsi.com> wrote in message
news:D AC7AECB-DCCE-4966-9D4C-F25CE48513EB@microsoft.com...
> never mind i fixed it my self thank you anyway.
> bojack

August 6, 2005 2:16:27 PM

In Explorer | tools | folder options | file types |, find extension,
higlight, delete

!