Docking station on a desktop

I'm getting a new Dell Dimension 9100 Desktop system. I'm using it with
special equipment that needs the 25 pin printer port and the 9 pin
serial port which neither port is on this computer. I see numerous
posts on docking stations but all seem to be referring to laptop
computers. Any recommendations on a docking station for a desktop, or
do both systems simply use a USB port. I'm confused.
Thanks for any input.

If you have a open PCI slot, you could save some money by adding a Parallel and Serial PCI Expansion Card, you will need two open slots in the panel on the back of your PC. You check with your local computer store, or a search at Ebay have them for under 20.00 before shipping. I cannot recommend any of the sellers, so you need to check them out yourself.

Here are the results for card on Ebay:

http://search.ebay.com/Parallel-serial-pci_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQcatrefZC6QQfromZR10QQsacatZ-1QQcatrefZC6QQsargnZ-1QQsaslcZ2QQsadisZ200QQfposZ48197QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

<RonKZ650@aol.com> wrote in message news:1122485973.209311.106310@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
I'm getting a new Dell Dimension 9100 Desktop system. I'm using it with
special equipment that needs the 25 pin printer port and the 9 pin
serial port which neither port is on this computer. I see numerous
posts on docking stations but all seem to be referring to laptop
computers. Any recommendations on a docking station for a desktop, or
do both systems simply use a USB port. I'm confused.
Thanks for any input.

Thanks for all the good replys. I bought one of the ebay PCI cards.
Worth a shot for less than $20.
Thanks again.

I'm not aware of any docking stations for desktops.

You're better off going to Best Buy, Circuit City, Staples or Frys and buying
USB-parallel and USB-serial converter cables. Of course there are some
possible pitfalls here. The drivers for your 25-pin parallel or 9-pin serial
device may refuse to operate through the converter cables. Older and less
sophisticated devices are most likely to work, whereas newer devices like
bi-directional printer-scanner-copier are not likely to work or maybe they'll
only work partially.

You are seeing the next step in the industry move toward legacy-free systems.
The first wave were floppy-less systems, altho many Dell models have add-on
floppy kits. PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports will eventually disappear,too.
Legacy-free means essentially no parallel, serial, PS/2 ports and no floppy
diskette drives, with most everything outside the system chassis attached
through USB 2.0... Ben Myers

On 27 Jul 2005 10:39:33 -0700, RonKZ650@aol.com wrote:

>I'm getting a new Dell Dimension 9100 Desktop system. I'm using it with
>special equipment that needs the 25 pin printer port and the 9 pin
>serial port which neither port is on this computer. I see numerous
>posts on docking stations but all seem to be referring to laptop
>computers. Any recommendations on a docking station for a desktop, or
>do both systems simply use a USB port. I'm confused.
>Thanks for any input.

So right. A PCI parallel/serial card is a far more reliable solution that USB
conversion cables, which gave me fits the other day when I was hooking up old
stuff to a Dell notebook without a PCI slot, of course. Same for a docking
station which connects to a USB port and provides parallel and serial
interfaces.

The drivers for whatever devices are attached will recognize the ports on the
PCI parallel/serial card as true parallel and serial ports, and ought to work
without a hitch... Ben Myers

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:18:39 -0400, "RRR_News" <nospam@isp.com> wrote:

>If you have a open PCI slot, you could save some money by adding a
>Parallel and Serial PCI Expansion Card, you will need two open slots in
>the panel on the back of your PC. You check with your local computer
>store, or a search at Ebay have them for under 20.00 before shipping. I
>cannot recommend any of the sellers, so you need to check them out
>yourself.
>
>Here are the results for card on Ebay:
>
>http://search.ebay.com/Parallel-serial-pci_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQcat
>refZC6QQfromZR10QQsacatZ-1QQcatrefZC6QQsargnZ-1QQsaslcZ2QQsadisZ200QQfpos
>Z48197QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1
>
>--=20
>
>Rich/rerat
>
>(RRR News) <message rule>
><<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
>

><RonKZ650@aol.com> wrote in message =
>I'm getting a new Dell Dimension 9100 Desktop system. I'm using it with
>special equipment that needs the 25 pin printer port and the 9 pin
>serial port which neither port is on this computer. I see numerous
>posts on docking stations but all seem to be referring to laptop
>computers. Any recommendations on a docking station for a desktop, or
>do both systems simply use a USB port. I'm confused.
>Thanks for any input.

Dell sell port replicators designed for laptop use they plug into a usb port
and offer serial, parallel, ps/2, lan ports etc. Its not a full laptop dock
but does offer the ports you need via usb.

Here`s a rather long link to one.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=A0181323&c=us&l=en&cs=19&category_id=5441&first=true&page=productlisting.aspx

Hope this helps,

Basill

> I'm getting a new Dell Dimension 9100 Desktop system. I'm using it with
> special equipment that needs the 25 pin printer port and the 9 pin
> serial port which neither port is on this computer. I see numerous
> posts on docking stations but all seem to be referring to laptop
> computers. Any recommendations on a docking station for a desktop, or
> do both systems simply use a USB port. I'm confused.
> Thanks for any input.

TRENDING THREADS