I was reading through one posting that stated that his sister couldn't stop
her kids from accessing the internet even when they logged into windows xp
with their own user account. My problem is sort of opposite. I am the
administrator and my children have limited accounts but unless I am already
logged or had logged on to the internet earlier, the other accounts can not
access the internet. Maybe I downloaded my software incorrectly.
For example, if my son turns on the computer in the morning and enters his
windows user account, he gets an box telling him he can not connect because
he does not have the proper set up (although the icon is there). Then, I
will login to my windows user account and I am automatically connected. If I
then switch users to any of the other accounts, they can then access the
internet.
So my question is, how can I set it up so that others who use the computer
do not have to have me log on to the computer first to access the internet?
I hope that made sense :)
Grete

kelly

Hi,

See if this helps:

Keep Ras Connection within Fast User Switching (Line 32)

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"reegrete" <reegrete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was reading through one posting that stated that his sister couldn't stop
> her kids from accessing the internet even when they logged into windows xp
> with their own user account. My problem is sort of opposite. I am the
> administrator and my children have limited accounts but unless I am
> already
> logged or had logged on to the internet earlier, the other accounts can
> not
> access the internet. Maybe I downloaded my software incorrectly.
> For example, if my son turns on the computer in the morning and enters his
> windows user account, he gets an box telling him he can not connect
> because
> he does not have the proper set up (although the icon is there). Then, I
> will login to my windows user account and I am automatically connected.
> If I
> then switch users to any of the other accounts, they can then access the
> internet.
> So my question is, how can I set it up so that others who use the computer
> do not have to have me log on to the computer first to access the
> internet?
> I hope that made sense :)
> Grete

It would appear that the only way you can solve my problem, assuming anyone
could have understood my problem, is to give all accounts administrator
privleges.
Thanks anyway,
Grete

"Kelly" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> See if this helps:
>
> Keep Ras Connection within Fast User Switching (Line 32)

> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "reegrete" <reegrete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I was reading through one posting that stated that his sister couldn't stop
> > her kids from accessing the internet even when they logged into windows xp
> > with their own user account. My problem is sort of opposite. I am the
> > administrator and my children have limited accounts but unless I am
> > already
> > logged or had logged on to the internet earlier, the other accounts can
> > not
> > access the internet. Maybe I downloaded my software incorrectly.
> > For example, if my son turns on the computer in the morning and enters his
> > windows user account, he gets an box telling him he can not connect
> > because
> > he does not have the proper set up (although the icon is there). Then, I
> > will login to my windows user account and I am automatically connected.
> > If I
> > then switch users to any of the other accounts, they can then access the
> > internet.
> > So my question is, how can I set it up so that others who use the computer
> > do not have to have me log on to the computer first to access the
> > internet?
> > I hope that made sense :)
> > Grete

Andre

Or get a broadband router - which will do the login.

> It would appear that the only way you can solve my problem, assuming
> anyone
> could have understood my problem, is to give all accounts administrator
> privleges.
> Thanks anyway,
> Grete
>
> "Kelly" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> See if this helps:
>>
>> Keep Ras Connection within Fast User Switching (Line 32)
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> "reegrete" <reegrete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I was reading through one posting that stated that his sister couldn't
>> >stop
>> > her kids from accessing the internet even when they logged into windows
>> > xp
>> > with their own user account. My problem is sort of opposite. I am the
>> > administrator and my children have limited accounts but unless I am
>> > already
>> > logged or had logged on to the internet earlier, the other accounts can
>> > not
>> > access the internet. Maybe I downloaded my software incorrectly.
>> > For example, if my son turns on the computer in the morning and enters
>> > his
>> > windows user account, he gets an box telling him he can not connect
>> > because
>> > he does not have the proper set up (although the icon is there). Then,
>> > will login to my windows user account and I am automatically connected.
>> > If I
>> > then switch users to any of the other accounts, they can then access
>> > the
>> > internet.
>> > So my question is, how can I set it up so that others who use the
>> > computer
>> > do not have to have me log on to the computer first to access the
>> > internet?
>> > I hope that made sense :)
>> > Grete

kelly

I understood your post. Limited accounts do have trouble gaining internet
access. That said, even a Guest account can have internet access using the
edit I provided.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"reegrete" <reegrete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It would appear that the only way you can solve my problem, assuming
> anyone
> could have understood my problem, is to give all accounts administrator
> privleges.
> Thanks anyway,
> Grete
>
> "Kelly" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> See if this helps:
>>
>> Keep Ras Connection within Fast User Switching (Line 32)
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> "reegrete" <reegrete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I was reading through one posting that stated that his sister couldn't
>> >stop
>> > her kids from accessing the internet even when they logged into windows
>> > xp
>> > with their own user account. My problem is sort of opposite. I am the
>> > administrator and my children have limited accounts but unless I am
>> > already
>> > logged or had logged on to the internet earlier, the other accounts can
>> > not
>> > access the internet. Maybe I downloaded my software incorrectly.
>> > For example, if my son turns on the computer in the morning and enters
>> > his
>> > windows user account, he gets an box telling him he can not connect
>> > because
>> > he does not have the proper set up (although the icon is there). Then,
>> > will login to my windows user account and I am automatically connected.
>> > If I
>> > then switch users to any of the other accounts, they can then access
>> > the
>> > internet.
>> > So my question is, how can I set it up so that others who use the
>> > computer
>> > do not have to have me log on to the computer first to access the
>> > internet?
>> > I hope that made sense :)
>> > Grete

What i would do if i were you is i would get a router that does content
blocking or key word blocking and set up a dmz (NET_GEAR) routers are
very good at doning this. and if you are on windows xp pro you can set
it up to do ip fowarding and hard code your nic witht he ip that has
the key word blocking you can hard code that into the profile that you
do not want them goning to sites that you do not want them goning to
and all ohter comptuer or profiles can go to ware you want them to go
to. hope this did not conuse you. thanks.

On 9 Aug 2005 17:38:00 -0700, arendtb@gmail.com wrote:

>What i would do if i were you is i would get a router that does content
>blocking or key word blocking and set up a dmz (NET_GEAR) routers are
>very good at doning this. and if you are on windows xp pro you can set
>it up to do ip fowarding and hard code your nic witht he ip that has
>the key word blocking you can hard code that into the profile that you
>do not want them goning to sites that you do not want them goning to
>and all ohter comptuer or profiles can go to ware you want them to go
>to. hope this did not conuse you. thanks.

Once again, somebody recommending technology to do what good parenting
should be doing.

The OP should recommend that the parent just WATCH the kids. If they
are doing what they were told they shouldn't be doing, their computer
privileges should be revoked, and/or their computers taken away. It
might even be time to tan their little hides.

Kelly - I have this exact same problem. I have a router and cable connection
... if the limited users are the 1st to sign on they have no interent
connection at all, unless I come down, sign on then sign off .. the
connection is then established for them ..

Apparently I'm an idiot, because I have no clue how to do what you told her
to do? How do I "keep ras connection within fast user switching (line 32)?
That's greek to me??

Please help .. :)
Thank you!

"Kelly" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> See if this helps:
>
> Keep Ras Connection within Fast User Switching (Line 32)

> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "reegrete" <reegrete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I was reading through one posting that stated that his sister couldn't stop
> > her kids from accessing the internet even when they logged into windows xp
> > with their own user account. My problem is sort of opposite. I am the
> > administrator and my children have limited accounts but unless I am
> > already
> > logged or had logged on to the internet earlier, the other accounts can
> > not
> > access the internet. Maybe I downloaded my software incorrectly.
> > For example, if my son turns on the computer in the morning and enters his
> > windows user account, he gets an box telling him he can not connect
> > because
> > he does not have the proper set up (although the icon is there). Then, I
> > will login to my windows user account and I am automatically connected.
> > If I
> > then switch users to any of the other accounts, they can then access the
> > internet.
> > So my question is, how can I set it up so that others who use the computer
> > do not have to have me log on to the computer first to access the
> > internet?
> > I hope that made sense :)
> > Grete

Malke

traci wrote:

> Kelly - I have this exact same problem. I have a router and cable
> connection .. if the limited users are the 1st to sign on they have no
> interent connection at all, unless I come down, sign on then sign off
> .. the connection is then established for them ..
>
> Apparently I'm an idiot, because I have no clue how to do what you
> told her
> to do? How do I "keep ras connection within fast user switching (line
> 32)?
> That's greek to me??
>
> Please help .. :)
> Thank you!
>
> "Kelly" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> See if this helps:
>>
>> Keep Ras Connection within Fast User Switching (Line 32)

It may be a while til Kelly gets back to you - she's in the middle of
Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana (USA).

Her answer to the Original Poster means go to Kelly's site (link above)
and download either the .exe or .reg file at line 32 and run it. There
are instructions at the top of the page.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers