Problem with 4550 fans

Friend has a 4550 and the fans blow pretty much full blast. We've
opened the case and blown it out. Not much not dust inside and didn't
seem to make much of a difference. The air blowing out of the back
isn't hot or anything, feels cool in fact.

Any ideas?

"EmmyTAward Winner Michael Chiclets" <None@given.org> wrote in message
> Friend has a 4550 and the fans blow pretty much full blast. We've
> opened the case and blown it out. Not much not dust inside and didn't
> seem to make much of a difference. The air blowing out of the back
> isn't hot or anything, feels cool in fact.
>
> Any ideas?

Probably just a bad fan (D/PN 2X585). They can be found all over ebay (same
fan used on the 4300/4400/4500/4550 and some Optiplex models), or you could
try to hook up with dell spare parts.

The fan is variable speed and temperature sensing and should be really quiet
when the system is idle or under mild load.

Stew

> "EmmyTAward Winner Michael Chiclets" <None@given.org> wrote in message
>> Friend has a 4550 and the fans blow pretty much full blast. We've
>> opened the case and blown it out. Not much not dust inside and didn't
>> seem to make much of a difference. The air blowing out of the back
>> isn't hot or anything, feels cool in fact.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>

> Probably just a bad fan (D/PN 2X585). They can be found all over ebay
> (same fan used on the 4300/4400/4500/4550 and some Optiplex models), or
> you could try to hook up with dell spare parts.
>
> The fan is variable speed and temperature sensing and should be really
> quiet when the system is idle or under mild load.
>

> Stew

Mine started doing that and I got a new fan from Dell for around $25
shipped. Quieted right down.

Tom

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:29:45 -0500, Emmy™Award Winner Michael Chiclets
<None@given.org> wrote:

>Friend has a 4550 and the fans blow pretty much full blast. We've
>opened the case and blown it out. Not much not dust inside and didn't
>seem to make much of a difference. The air blowing out of the back
>isn't hot or anything, feels cool in fact.

I am a Dell tech, but also have a second job one day per week
compiling a database for medical research (can any Dell tech truly
afford to live off what they're paying nowadays without a second
income?).

Anyway, the doctor in charge of the research brings his Dell inspiron
4000 in and the fan is the noisiest I've ever heard a laptop
fan...really nasty. I reccommend getting a new one at 1-800-laptops
for $35, and tore apart the laptop the following week...after swapping
out fans it was much quieter.

It was kind of nice getting paid almost twice as much to do the same
stuff Dell wants me to do during the rest of the week ;). He also
needed a BIOS upgrade from something like A13 to A36.

Dan

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:28:27 -0500, "S.Lewis"
<stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

>"EmmyTAward Winner Michael Chiclets" <None@given.org> wrote in message
>> Friend has a 4550 and the fans blow pretty much full blast. We've
>> opened the case and blown it out. Not much not dust inside and didn't
>> seem to make much of a difference. The air blowing out of the back
>> isn't hot or anything, feels cool in fact.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>

>Probably just a bad fan (D/PN 2X585). They can be found all over ebay (same
>fan used on the 4300/4400/4500/4550 and some Optiplex models), or you could
>try to hook up with dell spare parts.
>
>The fan is variable speed and temperature sensing and should be really quiet
>when the system is idle or under mild load.
>

>Stew

Just a word of thanks, that was the problem. Really appreciate your
help.

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:42:12 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "EmmyTAward Winner Michael Chiclets" <None@given.org> wrote in message
>>> Friend has a 4550 and the fans blow pretty much full blast. We've
>>> opened the case and blown it out. Not much not dust inside and didn't
>>> seem to make much of a difference. The air blowing out of the back
>>> isn't hot or anything, feels cool in fact.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>

>> Probably just a bad fan (D/PN 2X585). They can be found all over ebay
>> (same fan used on the 4300/4400/4500/4550 and some Optiplex models), or
>> you could try to hook up with dell spare parts.
>>
>> The fan is variable speed and temperature sensing and should be really
>> quiet when the system is idle or under mild load.
>>

>> Stew
>>

>Mine started doing that and I got a new fan from Dell for around $25
>shipped. Quieted right down.
>
>Tom

Thanks for that; put in the new fan and it is whisper quiet now.

> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:28:27 -0500, "S.Lewis"
> <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

>>"EmmyTAward Winner Michael Chiclets" <None@given.org> wrote in message
>>> Friend has a 4550 and the fans blow pretty much full blast. We've
>>> opened the case and blown it out. Not much not dust inside and didn't
>>> seem to make much of a difference. The air blowing out of the back
>>> isn't hot or anything, feels cool in fact.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>

>>Probably just a bad fan (D/PN 2X585). They can be found all over ebay
>>(same
>>fan used on the 4300/4400/4500/4550 and some Optiplex models), or you
>>could
>>try to hook up with dell spare parts.
>>
>>The fan is variable speed and temperature sensing and should be really
>>quiet
>>when the system is idle or under mild load.
>>

>>Stew
>>

> Just a word of thanks, that was the problem. Really appreciate your
> help.

You rock. Peace out. Save the whales :)

Glad it worked.

Stew