Sign in with
Your question

UnAswearable Question?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 2, 2003 9:56:05 PM

I just recieved my new Athlon 2400+ with A7NX8 motherboard and Corsair pc2700 xms Cas2 ram.When I take the hardrive from my old 750 Athlon and install it on my new set-up what should i do to ensure things go smoothly? I have a copy of win XP home on my harddrive..UMM the dog ate my disc thx alot

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tailgunner42 on 02/03/03 01:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : unaswearable question

a b à CPUs
February 2, 2003 11:59:52 PM

It might work, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>
February 3, 2003 3:56:18 PM

Bo.. i could ask the magic 8-ball and get an answear like that lol
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 3, 2003 4:02:53 PM

well......i dount it will work unless ur going from a Via chipset - another via chipset board...that seems to work....but changing chipset brands (like going from Via - SiS) usually doesnt work...

Ur better off formatting and re-installing anyways....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
February 3, 2003 5:46:36 PM

Quote:
Ur better off formatting and re-installing anyways....

That and actually paying for their software.

PC Repair-Vol 1:Getting To Know Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 2:Troubleshooting Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 3:Having Trouble Troubleshooting Your PC?
PC Repair-Vol 4:Having Trouble Shooting Your PC?
February 3, 2003 5:52:18 PM

Didn't you read his post?!? The dog ate his disk. Sheesh... ;) 

Let's all settle our political differences with a LAN.
February 3, 2003 5:53:40 PM

With OSes like Win95/98 when you start the system with the new mobo (new chipset) the OS will begin a process of changing drivers for the various componetns on the mobo and it will prompt you for the drivers it doesn't have. Usually you can continue without much of a problem and be up and running in about 5-10 minutes. Just a note: upgrading your bios can generate the same series of prompts.

With XP that's different. Sometimes it will work and other times you can't just switch out the mobo and have XP accept the change. But, not all is lost.

In most cases you can re-run the installation from the XP CD and it will (normally) see the current install and install the files over it. If you can get to that point you are in luck. Otherwise, if you can't, well, there's still no need to format and start over. Just continue with the install and live it as a clean new install. Formatting is a choice but it is not really necessary.

Note: If you haven't formatted the system as NTFS and you have copied the CD to the HD, then you can change into the ..\i386 and run winnt from the hard drive. The setup will inform you that it hasn't detected smartdrv.exe. If you have not formatted as NTFS you can run smartdrv.exe from a floppy.
February 3, 2003 7:35:18 PM

This is Bill Gates...under the EULA you agreed to when you first glanced at the software on the store shelves, dogs are not allowed to taste the code. You are not allowed to distribute, sell, or play fetch with the OS with your dog, the neighbors dog, or any other canine species. You are however, allowed to make a clone of your dog for backup purposes ONLY!!!

February 3, 2003 7:42:19 PM

My favorite license agreement was printed on a pamphlet inside of a box. It read "By opening this box, you agree to...". Needless to say, it wouldn't hold up any in court.

That aside, I've always wanted to write a virus that distributes itself with a license agreement text file that reads "By installing this software, you have agreed to ..."

February 3, 2003 10:23:21 PM

Why all this talk about piracy and EULA? I can't see how that is answering the guys question.

I, 100% of the time, copy my install files to my HD simply because CDs are so easily lost and/or damaged. It also makes installation and update much easier.
February 3, 2003 11:16:58 PM

It might it might not. I myself had an installtion of XP that I put in 6 (yes 6) completly different motherboards of a period of about 2 weeks. And not same brand I had a couple of Epox Boads a couple of Asus boards and a gigabyte board. And it still worked perfectly fine. Though god knows how many unused driver files there were buried and registry entries in there. All you can do is try and see if it works.
AREA_51
February 4, 2003 12:35:08 AM

Yes of course your right Jimbo...Lets all get very serious now...

February 4, 2003 12:51:35 AM

Hey bud ! Improve your quality of answering. You are repeating your stupid dialogues.
a b à CPUs
February 4, 2003 2:42:25 AM

Who the hell are you?

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>
February 4, 2003 4:07:09 AM

The Asus boards were KT133 and KT133A the 2 epox boards were KT333 though different chipset revisions. (I have forgotten what exactly was different but I rememer it was something to do with a chipset revision. One 8K3A rev1.0 and one 8K5A2+) The Gigabyte board I am not sure what chipset. It is a 100Mz chipset running a 600Mhz duron. 7IEX something something like that. I cant remember the exact model number. I do remember it was a pretty popular board for running Durons in its time. About 2 years ago. I was pretty suprised myself though when it worked. I didnt expect it to even stand one change.
AREA_51
February 4, 2003 1:40:35 PM

Exactly my point =)

even though there "different" chipsets there ALL similar in design so windows doesnt get totaly confused (windows xp) and it usually WILL work.....KT133 would be the 100Mhz chipset for a duron 600....there were no other 100Mhz only chipset for the Socket A......

That proves my point about it being possible on via based boards......see im on the SIS745 right now...if i swapped my board with one with a nForce 2 or VIA chipset i bet $10 it wont work right away id have to re-install windows etc......

With via however if ur always upgrading boards with other vi chipsets it doesnt mind as much....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
February 5, 2003 3:30:13 PM

Quote:
Why all this talk about piracy and EULA? I can't see how that is answering the guys question.

I'm sorry, I didn't see the big title at the top of the screen that said "Tom's Hardware Guide Free Tech Support And Serious Answers Only". Oh, wait, that's because it <b>doesn't</b>.

Hmm. It actually says "Tom's Hardware Guide Community". Why? Because this is a message board. It's a place for people to talk. There's no rule anywhere that says we can't just go where the conversation flows and always have to help out clueless people. Hell, there's absolutely <b>no</b> requirement at all to help out anyone here.

Yet we do it anyway. And we do it amidst humor and conversations. Why? Because this <i>isn't</i> "Tom's Hardware Guide Free Tech Support And Serious Answers Only". It's just simply "Tom's Hardware Guide Community". If tailgunner42 wanted purely and only serious tech support, than he would have actually contacted real tech support, which he didn't. And if you have a problem with that, then maybe you should only post on real tech support forums, not on community forums.

Quote:
I, 100% of the time, copy my install files to my HD simply because CDs are so easily lost and/or damaged. It also makes installation and update much easier.

Yet you still actually <b>have</b> the CD in case you need it, do you not? No one ever said you can't do the logical, just that it's 'wrong' to do the illegal.

Now had tailgunner42 come up with some more legit-sounding sob story like "My CD was destroyed when my Microsoft Sidewinder fell off of my desk and landed right on my CD that was laying on the floor, cracking it in half." I would have given him the benefit of the doubt that the software was aquired legally.

(In fact, I have a cousin who at one time had a similar misfortune. As someone who used to have to break old classified data CDs in the Air Force every time a new 'updated' CD set came along, I know just fragile CDs can really be and how the type of plastic that a CD is made of can greatly affect the manner in which it breaks.)

However an excuse of "..UMM the dog ate my disc" is hardly a believable explanation for why someone who legally purchased the software no longer has their CD. It is relatively safe to judge therefore that the software was illegally obtained, for even <i>if</i> tailgunner42 had copied the contents of the CD onto a hard drive (as many of us do), he would still have the original CD <i>somewhere</i>.

February 6, 2003 5:18:10 PM

If you knew my pitbull ODIN, 50% redboy 50% jacko what once bit a hole though a loaded .38 shell and sucked the powder out(I told him he was lucky he didn"t bite the primer and blow his head off, but he didnt seem to understand)Not to mention cell phones,ps2 controlls,beepers,remote controlls and the back plastic part out of every hat i owned, cds,bed post,shoes, christmas tree balls(yes the glass ones and lights)several of grannys 5 layer chocolate cakes and anything else he can get his mouth on preferably plastic or rubber.Yes this is a very special dog(thats why I have a tatoo of him on my forarm and let him kick my wife out of bed lol) he is also the 1 and only reason I no longer have a disk.thx again
February 6, 2003 7:00:04 PM

My Gawd...it actually happened...the one and only person in the world whose dog actually did eat his (fill in the blank).

February 6, 2003 7:01:30 PM

Just switch out the harddrive. I've done it a few times and never had any problems. Probably depends on the quality of your drivers/ peripherals.

February 6, 2003 7:23:38 PM

Wow, quite a poochie. I'm no "expert" with this newfangled "technology", but is it possible to plug an IDE cable into ODIN? He probably has at least 2 good ports, some others...not so good.

<font color=purple><i>Smokey McPot - Your Baby's Daddy</i></font color=purple>
!