XP Home install - stops working

August 6, 2005 10:14:08 AM

What would cause Windows XP Home, SP2, to stall when installing? I get to
the point where it copies the files it needs, then apparently installs them,
then says to remove any floppies, then reboot. Upon rebooting, it stalls on
the Windows XP start screen.

This happens whether I take the XP Home CD out of the drive or leave it in
there. When I leave the CD in the drive, it still does stalls when I DO NOT
press any key to boot from CD. When I press any key - the install wants to
start all over again (THAT makes sense - I'm booting from the CD again).

Thanks for any input.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 2:14:51 PM

Hi,

Generally that indicates a hardware problem. It could be a drive problem, or
some conflict with peripherals. I would remove (detach) any unneeded ones,
make sure the BIOS is set to defaults (don't tweak clock speed or anything
else), and run a drive integrity check to make sure the hard drive is not
failing (any SMART errors indicate a problem).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Wes Stebbins" <WesGuitar@neb.rr.com> wrote in message
> What would cause Windows XP Home, SP2, to stall when installing? I get to
> the point where it copies the files it needs, then apparently installs
> them, then says to remove any floppies, then reboot. Upon rebooting, it
> stalls on the Windows XP start screen.
>
> This happens whether I take the XP Home CD out of the drive or leave it in
> there. When I leave the CD in the drive, it still does stalls when I DO
> NOT press any key to boot from CD. When I press any key - the install
> wants to start all over again (THAT makes sense - I'm booting from the CD
> again).
>
> Thanks for any input.

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 5:07:28 AM

The problem is actually really strange - it appears that my MSI MS-6728
motherboard - with Intel 865PE Neo2 series chipset - won't allow me to
totally install Microsoft XP Home with SP2, OEM version. I know that sounds
strange, but it's true because I've been able to use the same CD on a
different system and it installed fine. In my tests (and I've done several)
I used the exact same WD hard drive, too, so...?!?

Anybody experience something similar? Thanks.

> Hi,
>
> Generally that indicates a hardware problem. It could be a drive problem,
> or some conflict with peripherals. I would remove (detach) any unneeded
> ones, make sure the BIOS is set to defaults (don't tweak clock speed or
> anything else), and run a drive integrity check to make sure the hard
> drive is not failing (any SMART errors indicate a problem).
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Wes Stebbins" <WesGuitar@neb.rr.com> wrote in message
>> What would cause Windows XP Home, SP2, to stall when installing? I get
>> to the point where it copies the files it needs, then apparently installs
>> them, then says to remove any floppies, then reboot. Upon rebooting, it
>> stalls on the Windows XP start screen.
>>
>> This happens whether I take the XP Home CD out of the drive or leave it
>> in there. When I leave the CD in the drive, it still does stalls when I
>> DO NOT press any key to boot from CD. When I press any key - the install
>> wants to start all over again (THAT makes sense - I'm booting from the CD
>> again).
>>
>> Thanks for any input.

August 7, 2005 5:07:29 AM

Hi,

Check for a BIOS update, as that could preclude an SP2 version from
installing if the system is not fully compliant.

--

> The problem is actually really strange - it appears that my MSI MS-6728
> motherboard - with Intel 865PE Neo2 series chipset - won't allow me to
> totally install Microsoft XP Home with SP2, OEM version. I know that
> sounds strange, but it's true because I've been able to use the same CD on
> a different system and it installed fine. In my tests (and I've done
> several) I used the exact same WD hard drive, too, so...?!?
>
> Anybody experience something similar? Thanks.

>> Hi,
>>
>> Generally that indicates a hardware problem. It could be a drive problem,
>> or some conflict with peripherals. I would remove (detach) any unneeded
>> ones, make sure the BIOS is set to defaults (don't tweak clock speed or
>> anything else), and run a drive integrity check to make sure the hard
>> drive is not failing (any SMART errors indicate a problem).
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Wes Stebbins" <WesGuitar@neb.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> What would cause Windows XP Home, SP2, to stall when installing? I get
>>> to the point where it copies the files it needs, then apparently
>>> installs them, then says to remove any floppies, then reboot. Upon
>>> rebooting, it stalls on the Windows XP start screen.
>>>
>>> This happens whether I take the XP Home CD out of the drive or leave it
>>> in there. When I leave the CD in the drive, it still does stalls when I
>>> DO NOT press any key to boot from CD. When I press any key - the
>>> install wants to start all over again (THAT makes sense - I'm booting
>>> from the CD again).
>>>
>>> Thanks for any input.

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 6:40:11 AM

Wes Stebbins wrote:

> What would cause Windows XP Home, SP2, to stall when installing? I get to
> the point where it copies the files it needs, then apparently installs them,
> then says to remove any floppies, then reboot. Upon rebooting, it stalls on
> the Windows XP start screen.

In the help file on the XP2 CD the first item listed is to make sure
"anti-virus" is disabled in the bios.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
Anonymous

I went to MSI's site and got the latest BIOS, flashed it, and that did the
trick. I was skeptic at first because none of the descriptons for all of
the BIOS upgrades after my original version didn't mention anything about
SP1 or SP2, but I did it anyway and to my pleasant surprise- it worked.

The spyware idea may have been a good one except this was for a brand new
computer that I put together. Thanks.

!