After changing C:WINDOWSsystem32userinit.exe

If anyone can help I will owe you one.
My computer was opening the My Documents folder at startup, I found a
support suggestion to change it from what ever it was to the below.
‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon’
I changed the value to C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,
I did not include the " , " now my computer will log in and then right after
it says "applying settings" it then says "closing network connections" and
goes back to the login window. This is my employer’s computer so I don't
know the admin password to the recovery console. However I can map the hard
drive through my home network. Is there any kind of start up script I could
add to one of the startup folders to change the registry to a correct value?
I know very little about scripting or if it would work....
Anyone who could help I would appreciate any help one can offer.
Thanks

To paraphrase your question:

"I accidentally fed rat poison to my boss's dog. The vet says the dog is
dead. Is there any way to revive the dog?"

If you can boot to Safe Mode, find the original key that you exported as a
backup in case feeding rat poison to your boss's dog wasn't a good idea, and
merge it back into the OS database.

If you can't boot into Safe Mode, find that Resume that you kept as a backup
in case feeding rat poison to your boss's dog wasn't a good idea....

steve

"Patrick" <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If anyone can help I will owe you one.
> My computer was opening the My Documents folder at startup, I found a
> support suggestion to change it from what ever it was to the below.
> 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon'
> I changed the value to C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,
> I did not include the " , " now my computer will log in and then right
> after
> it says "applying settings" it then says "closing network connections" and
> goes back to the login window. This is my employer's computer so I don't
> know the admin password to the recovery console. However I can map the
> hard
> drive through my home network. Is there any kind of start up script I
> could
> add to one of the startup folders to change the registry to a correct
> value?
> I know very little about scripting or if it would work....
> Anyone who could help I would appreciate any help one can offer.
> Thanks

Patrick,

If the system is in a network, you may try connecting to the registry from
another XP system. Then fix the Userinit. If not, you may need to edit the
registry offline, by loading the "Software" hive from a parallel
installation of XP or by slaving the hard disk to a working Windows XP
system.

Load a hive into the registry: Core Services:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/967e371b-40f8-4562-ac7c-91e8f251d65b.mspx

You need to load the SOFTWARE Hive present in %systemroot%\system32\config\
folder.

Alternately, you may use the BartPE Boot CD to fix the registry value:
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org