2400 for $299! E-Value Code: 6F898-D50702V

Dimension 2400, 2.4Ghz Celeron, 256MB RAM, 80GB drive, 17" E773 monitor,
integrated graphics & audio,Dell A215 Stereo Speakers, XP Home
FREE Color Printer 720 ($49 value)
Only 90 day Limited warranty. It's got $75 of rebates to get to the $299.

E-Value Code: 6F898-D50702V <=== must use this
Geez, how low is this stuff going to go?!

Keep in mind that this system is rock-bottom basic. A Celeron processor,
only 256 MB of RAM, integrated video and audio put this machine at the
bottom of units for personal use. You certainly won't be doing any video
editing or serious gaming on a system like this.

"Kevin" <webman6@hot4mail.com> wrote in message
> Keep in mind that this system is rock-bottom basic. A Celeron processor,
> only 256 MB of RAM, integrated video and audio put this machine at the
> bottom of units for personal use. You certainly won't be doing any video
> editing or serious gaming on a system like this.

"90 Day Limited Warranty".

I'm out......

Stew

"phloppy" <phloppy@disk.com> writes:
>Dimension 2400, 2.4Ghz Celeron, 256MB RAM, 80GB drive, 17" E773 monitor,
>integrated graphics & audio,Dell A215 Stereo Speakers, XP Home
>FREE Color Printer 720 ($49 value)
>Only 90 day Limited warranty. It's got $75 of rebates to get to the $299.

>E-Value Code: 6F898-D50702V <=== must use this
>Geez, how low is this stuff going to go?!

A week or three ago you could get them for $200 each, without monitor,
if you bought two or more. I believe that had free shipping too.

Now they only give you a $20 discount if you drop the monitor,
a floppy costs $40! plus they don't provide free shipping.

The one I put on a desk 18 months ago has had zero failures thus far.

I only wish that someone could definitely point out where the speed
bottleneck is in the 2400, high speed graphics isn't an issue here.
People have talked about this for years and never had an answer.

Exactly. Meant for the entry level user with non-demanding applications.
Good for the basics of surfing, word processing, school work, etc. For
people of basic needs and limited funds you can't beat this with a stick!

People that are into gaming and video editing know better than to look at a
system like this.

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

> "Kevin" <webman6@hot4mail.com> wrote in message
> > Keep in mind that this system is rock-bottom basic. A Celeron
processor,
> > only 256 MB of RAM, integrated video and audio put this machine at the
> > bottom of units for personal use. You certainly won't be doing any
video
> > editing or serious gaming on a system like this.
> >

> "90 Day Limited Warranty".
>
> I'm out......
>

> Stew

If electronics are going to fail they will likely fail within 90 days won't
they? Maybe buyers of these systems should leave them on all the time to
give them a good burn in in that first 90 days.

Added support almost adds 50% to the cost of a $299 system. By the time
this system fails, these systems will be selling for $49.99... ;-)

Not necessarily - on the Mitac-built systems (2400, 3000, 4600) the ODM
seems to have built a self-destruct into the power supply, timed for
just after one year.

phloppy wrote:

> If electronics are going to fail they will likely fail within 90 days won't
> they? Maybe buyers of these systems should leave them on all the time to
> give them a good burn in in that first 90 days.
>
> Added support almost adds 50% to the cost of a $299 system. By the time
> this system fails, these systems will be selling for $49.99... ;-)

Interesting. My 2400 has been running 24/7 for the last 16 months. It is
run very hard, as it is my 'tivo' system, using a Hauppauge TV tuner and
Snapstream's Beyond TV. Even has a second hard drive internal.

Guess I got a good one.

Tom

> In article <hPZDe.12266$t43.9222@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
<snip>
> I have a bunch ASUS motherboard based system with 512MB PC2700 RAM,
> Celeron 2.54Ghz, and a video card that feels (to all users) to be about
> twice as fast with opening/closing, running Word and Excel, pulling data
> out of a dedicated SQL application, and even browsing the web. The
> difference is the chipset and base speeds of the parts.
>
> I fully expect the P4/533 and the PC2700 RAM to feel faster by leaps and
> bounds. The 2500 already had 512MB in it, but it was slow as heck. I
> have older Optiplex 100 systems with a Celeron 433 chip and 256MB of
> ram, with XP Prof that perform just as fast as the base 2400.

"feels" faster? Why don't you run a benchmark. I'd bet "feels" is under
10%.

Tom

In article <hpaEe.13219$t43.8573@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
tomtoo@softhome.net says...

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> > In article <hPZDe.12266$t43.9222@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
> <snip>
> > I have a bunch ASUS motherboard based system with 512MB PC2700 RAM,
> > Celeron 2.54Ghz, and a video card that feels (to all users) to be about
> > twice as fast with opening/closing, running Word and Excel, pulling data
> > out of a dedicated SQL application, and even browsing the web. The
> > difference is the chipset and base speeds of the parts.
> >
> > I fully expect the P4/533 and the PC2700 RAM to feel faster by leaps and
> > bounds. The 2500 already had 512MB in it, but it was slow as heck. I
> > have older Optiplex 100 systems with a Celeron 433 chip and 256MB of
> > ram, with XP Prof that perform just as fast as the base 2400.
> >

> "feels" faster? Why don't you run a benchmark. I'd bet "feels" is under
> 10%.

In side by side testing, the loading of any application for the first
instance is about 8 seconds difference for things like Word, Excel,
FrameWorks, Outlook.

For things like running a simple customer update inside an application,
one that hits a strong SQL server, the process takes 4 second on the
2400 and under 1 second on the ASUS 2.54ghz machine. When scrolling
between customer records the Dell 2400 updates each screen in about 3
seconds and the ASUS as fast as they can push they NEXT button.

Installation of the software, the medical package, took over 28 minutes
on the 2400 systems, and under 8 minutes on the ASUS motherboard
machines, under 5 on a Centrono 2ghz laptop and about 5 minutes on a
P4/3.2ghz HT enabled system.

The difference between the ASUS machine and the Dell 2400 was a follows:

Dell 2.4ghz, 512MB RAM, 40GB IDE drive, onboard video.

ASUS 2.5ghz (533), 512MB RAM (PC2700), 40GB IDE (7200RPM), real video
card.

How is that for real numbers.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

> In article <hpaEe.13219$t43.8573@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
> tomtoo@softhome.net says...
>>
>> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>> > In article <hPZDe.12266$t43.9222@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
>> <snip>
>> > I have a bunch ASUS motherboard based system with 512MB PC2700 RAM,
>> > Celeron 2.54Ghz, and a video card that feels (to all users) to be about
>> > twice as fast with opening/closing, running Word and Excel, pulling
>> > data
>> > out of a dedicated SQL application, and even browsing the web. The
>> > difference is the chipset and base speeds of the parts.
>> >
>> > I fully expect the P4/533 and the PC2700 RAM to feel faster by leaps
>> > and
>> > bounds. The 2500 already had 512MB in it, but it was slow as heck. I
>> > have older Optiplex 100 systems with a Celeron 433 chip and 256MB of
>> > ram, with XP Prof that perform just as fast as the base 2400.
>> >

>> "feels" faster? Why don't you run a benchmark. I'd bet "feels" is under
>> 10%.
>
> In side by side testing, the loading of any application for the first
> instance is about 8 seconds difference for things like Word, Excel,
> FrameWorks, Outlook.
>
> For things like running a simple customer update inside an application,
> one that hits a strong SQL server, the process takes 4 second on the
> 2400 and under 1 second on the ASUS 2.54ghz machine. When scrolling
> between customer records the Dell 2400 updates each screen in about 3
> seconds and the ASUS as fast as they can push they NEXT button.
>
> Installation of the software, the medical package, took over 28 minutes
> on the 2400 systems, and under 8 minutes on the ASUS motherboard
> machines, under 5 on a Centrono 2ghz laptop and about 5 minutes on a
> P4/3.2ghz HT enabled system.
>
> The difference between the ASUS machine and the Dell 2400 was a follows:
>
> Dell 2.4ghz, 512MB RAM, 40GB IDE drive, onboard video.
>
> ASUS 2.5ghz (533), 512MB RAM (PC2700), 40GB IDE (7200RPM), real video
> card.
>
> How is that for real numbers.
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Good information. Certainly lots of variables, of course. I made sure my
2400 had a 7200rpm drive, which makes a huge difference. Mine is a 2.8/533
with PC2700, so it likely performs closer to your ASUS machine (or better).
It certainly is faster than my 4550 with the p4-2.66. I'm not a fan of the
Celeron 2400 models, but the 'real' P4 machines are a good value.

Tom

In article <NNWdnePZfuQd4XjfRVn-iQ@wideopenwest.com>,
1H8Comcast@anybodyelse.com says...
> You cannot buy the parts cheaper to make a machine that is faster. If
> you think you can, try me!

Funny you should mention that idea: A local IT shop purchased 5 Dell
Dimension 2400 with 2.4g Celeron and 512MB RAM, they got a 19" monitor
and the systems were just over $800 and included Windows XP Prof.

I bought them a ASUS motherboard, 2.54ghz Celeron, 512MB RAM, 7200 RPM
Drive, CD-RW drive, Floppy, 350W PSU, and Win XP Prof with a 17" LCD
monitor $900.

I've already posted the differences in performance, so, still think you
can't do better for the same?

--

Leythos wrote:
> In article <NNWdnePZfuQd4XjfRVn-iQ@wideopenwest.com>,
> 1H8Comcast@anybodyelse.com says...
>
>>You cannot buy the parts cheaper to make a machine that is faster. If
>>you think you can, try me!
>

> Funny you should mention that idea: A local IT shop purchased 5 Dell
> Dimension 2400 with 2.4g Celeron and 512MB RAM, they got a 19" monitor
> and the systems were just over $800 and included Windows XP Prof.
>
> I bought them a ASUS motherboard, 2.54ghz Celeron, 512MB RAM, 7200 RPM
> Drive, CD-RW drive, Floppy, 350W PSU, and Win XP Prof with a 17" LCD
> monitor $900.
>
> I've already posted the differences in performance, so, still think you
> can't do better for the same?

You just proved my point. The Dell was a 2.4 Celeron, 256MB RAM, 80GB
HD, 17" monitor, onboard audio, video, LAN, ink jet printer and XP Home
for $300.

The local computer shop was near $800 and your system was nearly $900.

Therefore, your computer was 3X the cost. You can't build a machine that
performs the same or better for $300.

In article <DuidndfPX9z0DXjfRVn-rA@wideopenwest.com>,
1H8Comcast@anybodyelse.com says...
> Leythos wrote:
> > In article <NNWdnePZfuQd4XjfRVn-iQ@wideopenwest.com>,
> > 1H8Comcast@anybodyelse.com says...
> >
> >>You cannot buy the parts cheaper to make a machine that is faster. If
> >>you think you can, try me!
> >

> > Funny you should mention that idea: A local IT shop purchased 5 Dell
> > Dimension 2400 with 2.4g Celeron and 512MB RAM, they got a 19" monitor
> > and the systems were just over $800 and included Windows XP Prof.
> >
> > I bought them a ASUS motherboard, 2.54ghz Celeron, 512MB RAM, 7200 RPM
> > Drive, CD-RW drive, Floppy, 350W PSU, and Win XP Prof with a 17" LCD
> > monitor $900.
> >
> > I've already posted the differences in performance, so, still think you
> > can't do better for the same?
> >

> You just proved my point. The Dell was a 2.4 Celeron, 256MB RAM, 80GB
> HD, 17" monitor, onboard audio, video, LAN, ink jet printer and XP Home
> for $300.
>
> The local computer shop was near $800 and your system was nearly $900.

How did you miss of the "A local IT shop purchased 5 Dell 2400.... just
over $800" each in that post?

I never said anything about printer or home - and at $300, with it's
limited ability, it would be a waste of $300 when you can get a better
system on Dell's site for $450 that is not anywhere as limited as the
2400.

> Therefore, your computer was 3X the cost. You can't build a machine that
> performs the same or better for $300.

And the machine, any, at $300, is not worth owning - you proved my
point.

--

> In article <DuidndfPX9z0DXjfRVn-rA@wideopenwest.com>,
> 1H8Comcast@anybodyelse.com says...
>> Leythos wrote:
>> > In article <NNWdnePZfuQd4XjfRVn-iQ@wideopenwest.com>,
>> > 1H8Comcast@anybodyelse.com says...

>> > Funny you should mention that idea: A local IT shop purchased 5 Dell
>> > Dimension 2400 with 2.4g Celeron and 512MB RAM, they got a 19" monitor
>> > and the systems were just over $800 and included Windows XP Prof.
>> >
>> > I bought them a ASUS motherboard, 2.54ghz Celeron, 512MB RAM, 7200 RPM
>> > Drive, CD-RW drive, Floppy, 350W PSU, and Win XP Prof with a 17" LCD
>> > monitor $900.
>> >
>> > I've already posted the differences in performance, so, still think you
>> > can't do better for the same?
>> >

>> You just proved my point. The Dell was a 2.4 Celeron, 256MB RAM, 80GB
>> HD, 17" monitor, onboard audio, video, LAN, ink jet printer and XP Home
>> for $300.
>>
>> The local computer shop was near $800 and your system was nearly $900.
>
> How did you miss of the "A local IT shop purchased 5 Dell 2400.... just
> over $800" each in that post?
>
> I never said anything about printer or home - and at $300, with it's
> limited ability, it would be a waste of $300 when you can get a better
> system on Dell's site for $450 that is not anywhere as limited as the
> 2400.
>
>> Therefore, your computer was 3X the cost. You can't build a machine that
>> performs the same or better for $300.
>
> And the machine, any, at $300, is not worth owning - you proved my
> point.
>

> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

It is for someone that can own a computer at $300 and can't at $900

Tom